The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly report - rd 22 2013

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
A near perfect spring like day on the Central Coast set up the chance for a packed crowd to witness our boys avenging the Warriors loss in Auckland and cement win no 6 in a row.
by CF2

Player ratings:
Brett Stewart: Yet another flawless performance. Swallowed the bombs with ease, purred through the gaps when needed, and of course clocked up another 2 "home" tries.
Jorge Taufau: Bit of a quiet day for Jorge but nothing to be concerned about.
Steve Matai: Did we not go left much today? Also seemed a slightly quieter day, but loved the sheer never give up enthusiasm on the very last play of the day to deny them a try.
Jamie Lyon: Sound game and strong in defence with 19 tackles. The goal kicking? More Joey practice this week please we can't afford those misses against the Bunnies.
David Williams: Maybe the whole team should be on the raw food diet. Sensational MOM display. 19 runs, 236 metres and 3 tries. Wouldn't surprise if he'd run the city to surf as a warm up. Let's hope he re signs soon.
Kieran Foran: Ok our left side must have been quieter today given Kieran didn't seem to really stand out either. Or maybe I missed something in the Gosford sun?
Daly Cherry-Evans: The early 40/20 set the tone for a busy performance, book ending it with a neat match practice field goal. Never lets us down and will be a force to be reckoned with in the coming weeks.
Glenn Stewart: Defence never being an issue, another much improved performance with the ball in hand and a brilliant grubber to set up a try.
Jamie Buhrer: Super sub found himself a late inclusion in the 2nd row and worked hard all day. Not only that but a very tough pair of shoes to fill given Horo's superb season long form.
Anthony Watmough: Succumbed to a nasty knee hyper extension in the first half. Let's hope its not a lengthy time out.
Brenton Lawrence: Whatever Toovs said at half time sure worked. Came out on fire in the 2nd half ripping up the metres. What a god send he's been all year.
Matt Ballin: Another busy performance topping the tackle count as usual and running with spark from dummy half.
Brent Kite: The Landcruiser continues to turn back the years week after week, defying the fact we are actually down two props for the season.
Bench:
Richie Fa-aoso: Solid work out again showing the importance of his bench muscle against the big Warriors pack and we're sure going to need it in spades on Fri night against the Burgess monsters.
David Gower: Some great busts up the middle showed why he's been given a bench spot in recent weeks. This somewhat unexpected depth will be critical come September.
George Rose: The big man never was as hard to stop as ever in a few well timed stints, though like our other front engine boys will need to step it up on Fri night.
James Hasson: Another relatively short spell makes it hard to judge his real worth to the squad, but in Toovs we trust.
THE GOOD:
5 good out takes from the day:
1. After a sloppy first 40 mins we took total control of the 2nd half from the very first set ensuring the match was in no danger.
2. Our right side showed they can be as potent as our left with a classy display including the steady return to normal transmission for Glenn.
3. Choc's setback aside, we are in remarkable shape for rd 22, boasting something like an unnrivalled 12 players who've only missed one game or less.
4. As per above our virtually unchanged 1-7 are in sensational form with the well deserved reputation as the best in the business.
5. The invigorated Wolfman has added so much raw energy in more ways than one.
THE BAD:
Horse Head Maxwell and his annoying mate Suttor tried hard to spoil the day with their niggly as hell refereeing style but it wasn't enough to do any real damage.
THE UGLY:
Sunday 2pm kick off. 21 degrees of superb sunshine. A brilliant stadium to watch footy. A dead easy drive from Sydney or even a gorgeous ferry ride up from Palm Beach. Excellent match up against entertaining opponents. And of course 5 wins on the trot heading for a 6th. So why on earth did only 12,000 turn up? I just don't get it. Very disappointing. The placed should have been packed to the rafters today. Worse still pretty hard to see how any more will make it back there in 5 days time given the ridiculous difficulty of getting up the F3 on a Friday night. Expect we'll be easily out numbered by the Rabbitoh's fans.
SUMMARY:
Mrs CF2 attended just her 4th Manly game today (including the 2011 GF) and has never seen the boys lose. After just 57 minutes she announced the result was as good as done, and despite the somewhat surprising early call I couldn't disagree given the Wolfman's hat trick put us in a commanding mood.
Even taking into contention our sloppy first half completion rate we did indeed control the 2nd half from the get go with relative ease, stepping up an important gear when needed, but at the same time leaving plenty of petrol in the tank for next Fri nights bunny blockbuster. That fuel reserve will be vital for such a big game against physically huge opposition.
The 6/6 wins have been a methodically precise goal to setup a priceless top 4 position, but the work is not complete. A return to Gosford as the away team in just 5 days will be a tough task, Inglis or not, but we are playing like a team who truly believe in themselves. Credit of course to Toov's who's engineering a very fine season.
Bring it on.

A near perfect spring like day on the Central Coast set up the chance for a packed crowd to witness our boys avenging the Warriors loss in Auckland and cement win no 6 in a row.

by CF2

Read the full article

Indeed bring it on next fri night but what another disastrous scheduling/programming decision. Imagine this game Sunday arvo ANZ stadium, promoted all week and incentive ticket prices for families. This could have been 35 to 40000 crowd with some smart promoting. Once again the NRL have no ****ing idea.
Do you think the AFL would take a Collingwood v Carlton game away from the MCG.

great day, great conditions and a great win.
wish we could pick up that stadium and plonk it down at Brookie.
fantastic to see Glen S back in form and very close to his best.
Suttor and Maxwell drive me insane - they think they are so cool and fully miss the clear fact that they are so not.
Friday night will be a serious test, if our defence is strong, which it will def need to be, we can beat them and beat them well.

As usual great post.
Have to agree anymore about Jamie Lyon's conversion attempts.
If we are to be a serious premiership contender we need to slot those hard ones from the sideline over or we will lose in a tight game.

mickqld said:
This could have been 35 to 40000 crowd with some smart promoting.

And of the 40000, I'd say 30000 would be Souths fans. They say Manly fans don't travel, and besides a small group of regulars, they are generally right. I don't understand why a team that has been so successful over a long period has such low crowd averages.

mickqld said:
Indeed bring it on next fri night but what another disastrous scheduling/programming decision. Imagine this game Sunday arvo ANZ stadium, promoted all week and incentive ticket prices for families. This could have been 35 to 40000 crowd with some smart promoting. Once again the NRL have no f**king idea.
Do you think the AFL would take a Collingwood v Carlton game away from the MCG.

Clubs decide where games are played, not the NRL. Blame Souths.

The downside for Manly was scheduling a home game at Gosford a week before a Manly blockbuster at the same ground. No doubt many Manly fans saved their coin for the Souths game, but all that money goes to Souths.

The NRL should have gate money split 66%/33%. Then we might see BOTH clubs working toward promoting a game.

But ay, it be the NRL running the show.

Where's Darren? I'm sure he would argue that if yesterday's game had instead been played at the SFS, 30,000 fans would have turned up ;)

On a serious note it was a disappointing crowd for such a magic Sunday arvo time slot. Can we really use the Souths v Manly game as an excuse for people not going? I think not, we'll be lucky to get 2-3K Manly supporters there this Friday night. You only have to read the comments "Manly supporters" post on the Sea Eagles Facebook page to see that there are plenty of Manly supporters unwilling to support our club away from Brookie.

Mals said:
Where's Darren? I'm sure he would argue that if yesterday's game had instead been played at the SFS, 30,000 fans would have turned up ;)

Manly won. I'd say he is in a dark room somewhere in the foetal position.

So Manly have never lost with Mrs CF2 in attendance? I feel you should take any steps necessary to ensure her attendance for the rest of the season.
The ball is in your court CF2.
And to Mark from Brisbane, I hope you are still enjoying your holidays....

Moondog said:

He's retired I think so life is just one big holiday, the lucky devil.

mickqld said:
Moondog said:

He's retired I think so life is just one big holiday, the lucky devil.
Lucky indeed. With careful financial planning and cutting down on a few luxuries, like food, I'm hopeful of being able to retire some time after my 106th birthday.

Ummm...what was I going to say? Oh never mind...probably wouldn't have added anything anyway. If I did it would probably come from a place of pessimism and anxiety and I don't want to upset the apple cart at this stage of the season especially as it's chugging along so smoothly. So, nice job CF2. Thank you very much once again.
Btw, do you think that Matai should have been rested given his (latest) recent injuries? I've always known and loved him as the Hit-man (sometimes i wish he was actually for hire) and that last ditch effort, how on earth he beat Shaun Johnson...LEGEND! But lately he's been uncharacteristically woeful in defence and seeming more like the Miss-man. We have Peta Hiku eagley waiting to gain some very useful and perhaps necessary experience come finals time and if Stevie's (like a pirated video tape) not quite right, now would be a good time to have a rest...possibly/maybe? You're right and I'm with you on the -"in Tooves we trust", maxim. If I actually thought that I knew more about managing a football team and could do a better job from my position, then either Manly or I've got real issues. However, in saying that; I really would like to watch Jamie Lyon at training and perhaps talk to him about his goal kicking. I think there HAS to be a solution out there and i'm willing to do what ever I can to help...I know wind and other external factors do make conversions more difficult but the bottom line is that the goal has been missed from the moment the ball leaves his foot. Maybe he needs to swap the golf ball for a football, I don't know without getting inside his (seemingly very level) head...Does anyone have his phone number? I know he doesn't tweet, which expands my admiration for him as a man.
Oh...........! That's what I was going to say; Has the Wolfman just played himself out of the Salary Cap and out of Manly? A few weeks ago we may have been able to afford him. The way he was playing, well perhaps a stint at Salford City wouldn't have been a bad idea but if he keeps playing the way he did against the warriors, he will erase the amnesia in peoples minds and remind them of the fact the he was an Australian representative winger. Although its seems like he has been around forever he is still only 26 years old and could demand a pretty handsome fee. Hmmm...I'm hungry but I don't know what I feel like.

The Eagle Has Landed said:
As usual great post.
Have to agree anymore about Jamie Lyon's conversion attempts.
If we are to be a serious premiership contender we need to slot those hard ones from the sideline over or we will lose in a tight game.

I lost confidence in Jaime's kicking a long time ago. I have mentioned it on here in the past and was generally howled down. Kicks from the sideline appear to be 50/50 at best. This season he has been particularly poor. Most clubs have genuine sharp shooters. Sadly, we don't.

I think Matai racing to deny a try at the death was the single most telling thing that happened yesterday. Very good attitude to have coming into the finals

can't agree that bluetongue is a good place to watch footy at, I find it one of the worst grounds going. I am 6"1 and my knees are very close to hitting the person in front, big problems if someone wants to pass. Facilities struggle with any more than about 12K there, went there with 16K and took 10 minutes just to get into the toilets for a leak.

Fluffy said:
can't agree that bluetongue is a good place to watch footy at, I find it one of the worst grounds going. I am 6"1 and my knees are very close to hitting the person in front, big problems if someone wants to pass. Facilities struggle with any more than about 12K there, went there with 16K and took 10 minutes just to get into the toilets for a leak.
Try taking a leak at ANZ stadium with a decent crowd there. Nearly pissed myself last time waiting to get into the dunnies.

Sadly I am back in Brisbane this week so hope I don't jinx us!!

And yes there is now 6 Saturdays a week followed by one Sunday, today is of course Saturday as we have " Saturday Night Football"

Mark from Brisbane said:
Sadly I am back in Brisbane this week so hope I don't jinx us!!

And yes there is now 6 Saturdays a week followed by one Sunday, today is of course Saturday as we have " Saturday Night Football"

Are you....... going to call into the ol office?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4