The good, the bad and the ugly report - rd 13

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cf2 is back

Reserve Grader
THE GOOD:
Defence is certainly the cornerstone of attack, but it's not often that a defensive dominance is so immense that it decides a game in the first 20 minutes alone. We hunted in packs, we stormed them like paratroopers, and we drove them backwards like Mac trucks crushing Holden Barinas. It was simply a lesson of dominance trapping them like lost prisoners in their own half. Once that platform was very quickly set the points simply flowed, not from doing anything terribly brilliant in attack, but from simply drowning them in the shallow end of their own pool.

A half time score of 22-0 can sometimes result in a strange second half where the leading team either gets bored, or really nervous, or conversely often the losing team throws caution to the wind for a nothing to lose comeback, but on this occasion the half time shots from the respective dressing rooms said it all. The Dogs sat silently on their chairs, heads bowed like a team well and truly beaten, with coach Moore seemingly reflecting on his "just been fired" press conference. Cutting to the Manly room Hoppa was beaming a massive smile as the boys lined up to get back out there and continue the mauling.

So we ended up with a somewhat boring second half in football terms, but a lovely boredom for Manly fans. The first try for 26-0 signalled not only the end of the game but the beginning of a Manly training run practising inside out banana kicks, reverse passes, rotating fullbacks, and flowing backline moves. Once again Dessie was able to execute a carefully calculated bench rotation, with the curiously starting T Rex playing a very eye catching 62 minutes, leaving poor old Mauro once again with a relegation late game 11 minutes. Equally significant was the the repeat cotton wool approach to Jamie Buhrer containing him to a narrow 2nd half 18 minutes. What looked like an odd bench system a month ago is now looking very, very smart. The Mauro's and Buhrer's are going to play a big part in our surge to the semi's and their relative freshness will be a huge trump card, particularly if we have an injury or two elsewhere, and to think we still have the missing Shane Rodney and the talented Daniel Harrison up our sleeve.

In terms of individual performances, once again I type the words "not a single bad player in our 17". Our back 3 were safe as houses and worked as a smart rotational unit, Brett perhaps a little quiet but there's no worry there, he's set for bigger games ahead very soon. Lyon gave "Brett Morris" a nightmare all night long (gees Brandy one mistake is fine given they are identical twins, but seriously calling him Brett for practically the whole game and in the after match report is simply embarrassing!). Matai mixed up the usual surging runs with the normal worrying grimacing clutches of the neck, and whilst Foran was again a total rock in defence and tease in attack he had the luxury of letting DCE take the MOM reins.

In the forwards Watmough was simply a destructive dynamo, despite the usual 2 or 3 errors including a classicly impossible stuff up where he managed to spew the ball between his legs so fast it nearly reached Brookie. Not to worry, 17 hit ups, 133 metres, and 39 crunching tackles was just magnificent, and he wasn't alone with the the rest of the pack so physically dominant that the Dogs were reduced to scared puppies. T Rex must made brought a smile to Dessie even if he saved it for the car trip home after playing a powerhouse 62 minutes, and he was well supported by the rampaging efforts of George, Kingy, Guluvao and the outstanding game of Glenn with his massive workload and huge tally of stats 22 hit ups, 160 metres and 37 tackles. Wow. Can Ballin continue these 80 minute gladiatorial efforts? It seems he can touch wood.

Last week Gus said DCE's performance might just signal the beginning of something special, and how true were those words. On the back of our match winning forwards he took complete ownership of the match, adding a Johnny Gibbs style rare solo try from a scrum. Notwithstanding the hideous Dogs defence it was fun to watch. I can only humbly hope Dessie reads my reports cos the pleading to give Jamie back the goal kicking duties feels like another winning touch for the team, and surely gives DCE more time to concentrate on the rest of his fast emerging skills. How exciting is it to have not one but TWO awesome attacking halves!

Sorry am I salivating too much I know it's only rd 13 but gee there's a lot to be excited about. Can't wait to get back to a hopefully jam packed Brookie next week.

THE BAD:
Handing them a soft runaway consolation try given that 38-0 was a much more apt score, but hey it's no big deal and at least seeing Benny Barba run 70 metres might have erased a few tempers in the Dog's crowd.

THE UGLY:
Not getting to face and beat Thurston and Scott next week, this rep schedule is a joke.

the Bad wasnt too bad, did you see the chase from Jamie, how urgent did he look in trying to stop that try

The good...we won.

The bad...it wasn't 40-0

The Ugly....how most of the fans at the game will feel this morning after celebrations went long into the night.

PS:.....I can almost smell it.....another WCC Tour coming up....start saving punters!!!

Yeah too right Berkeley - Jamie's gut busting try chase was incredible given the scoreline - and he wasn't far away from giving Barba a big surprise either.

Great report cf2, as usual.
Actually I enjoy reading your report more than the boring journos give for the papers.
Ever thought of a career in factual journalism?

Speaking of good defense. How was it late in the game when the dogs half Reynolds got a bit of a runaway and then he got smashed from the side by Gift then smashed from behind by Vic. He didn't know what had hit him he was in gaga land.

Thanks Lismore much appreciated.

I've always hated the fact the so called expert journo reports are so lazily written they miss all the key points and often conclude abruptly with a disjointed comment about a first half try. I'm sure they have deadlines but lazy does come to mind.

I'm not looking forward to filing a more bad than good report should we play a poor game, fingers crossed it doesn't happen!

Great report as always mate, like lismore fan said i also enjoy your wrap ups more then anything in the paper. A few weeks ago i thought we were going ok but today i feel like we are true premiership contenders. Great times for Manly fans.

Well Phil Gould has just described us as hard/fit the likes of which he hasn't seen from us for a couple of years. We're back baby yeahhhh.

mickqld said:
Well Phil Gould has just described us as hard/fit the likes of which he hasn't seen from us for a couple of years. We're back baby yeahhhh.
Didn't hear that as I'm watching replay, thought footy show stated at 11 ?

cf2 is back said:
Yeah too right Berkeley - Jamie's gut busting try chase was incredible given the scoreline - and he wasn't far away from giving Barba a big surprise either.

Yeah, it's a pity he couldn't have caught him and catapulted him over the dead ball line before the ball could be grounded.

Did you see the looks on the faces of the Manly guys after Barba scored? They were certainly disappointed and pissed off with themselves for not keeping them to zero.

torana355 said:
Great report as always mate, like lismore fan said i also enjoy your wrap ups more then anything in the paper. A few weeks ago i thought we were going ok but today i feel like we are true premiership contenders. Great times for Manly fans.

Last night, some guy posted "You'd be stupid if you think Manly are going to win the Premiership". I replied " You'd be stupid if you think they aren't a chance".

Great report as always,

Cf2's journalistic skills are on a parallel with Manly's on field performance last night. Excellent.
Last night's demolition job on the dogs was close to the best I've seen a Manly side play. 40-0 being the other.
This side is superb and the Dragons must be getting worried, because they're the only side that can bother Manly in this sort of form.
And that's a point worth debating anyway. In truth the Dragons are no longer the benchmark this season. Manly are.

bazeagle said:
Cf2's journalistic skills are on a parallel with Manly's on field performance last night. Excellent.
Last night's demolition job on the dogs was close to the best I've seen a Manly side play. 40-0 being the other.
This side is superb and the Dragons must be getting worried, because they're the only side that can bother Manly in this sort of form.
And that's a point worth debating anyway. In truth the Dragons are no longer the benchmark this season. Manly are.

Correct.
The Dragons have nothing on us if the boys play like that, I didn't stop smiling for the whole game last night, bloody brilliant perfomance!!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6