The Good, the Bad and the Ugly report - 2012 Finals week 3

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There are many who can't take anything but a grand final win and as a result want to point the finger at the coach. That is a totally ridiculous reaction. Geoff Toovey has done a magnificent job defying all odds to take us to an incredibly impressive 4th place.

"Take a look at how Brisbane finished. Or last years Grand Finalists the Warriors. Or the other 8 teams who didn't even make the 8 with plenty of talent including the disintegrating Tigers, Roosters, Saints, Parra etc.

Put all of that into perspective and we've had a magnificent year.".....Exactly. I must admit I was disappointed by our performance in the preliminary final but looking back at the season and the dramas post 2011 GF I'm feeling very positive about our prospects next year.

Good write-up as always cf2. I read it and I hopefully never have to discuss it again. 'The Ugly' part summarises just how bad that game was. Listing the weeks we lost to injury and suspension was a nice touch in showing where it was a tough season for us.

The good section should have - The skills of Jamie Lyon and Brett Stewart. Absolutely awsome in a Team of ???? WTF was in their heads- it's just a game FFS:huh:

But, I concurr that the year was an amazingly successfull one, raised from the ashes to finish Fourth.

I wish all the Players a long and headline proof off season.

Come back refreshed and let's give the Premiership another shake:angel:

I felt sick reading it.

cf2 you did say you lost count of the errors, and you're right.

The the 13th and 18th minutes you said both times it was "error #6"

no idea why i corrected that.

edit: and my thanks for doing these all year.

party on!

Excellent article CF2.
Guys, we made it within 80 min of the GF, despite:
- having the worst injury/suspension toll in the comp
- having a rookie coach
- having the shortest off-season in the comp
- having to re-sign our best players and the complications that came with that
- other clubs raiding our players
- the added difficulty of defending a title
All in all, I think we did very well. You could see in the end just how tired the players were after the long season they've had.

Crusher_Cleal said:
Excellent article CF2.
- having a rookie coach
All in all, I think we did very well. You could see in the end just how tired the players were after the long season they've had.
Mate in 1978 our bruised and battered team palyed 6 games in 25 days to win the Grand Final . So dont make excuses on how tired and what a long season it was . I agree with every thing else that you have said .

Crusher_Cleal said:
Excellent article CF2.
- having a rookie coach
Mate in 1978 our bruised and battered team palyed 6 games in 25 days to win the Grand Final . So dont make excuses on how tired and what a long season it was . I agree with every thing else that you have said .

BOZO said:
Crusher_Cleal said:
Excellent article CF2.
- having a rookie coach

Crusher_Cleal said:
Excellent article CF2.
- having a rookie coach

It's not an excuse for the rediculous dropped balls, wide passes, and general brain explosions, etc, etc, but the players just didn't look as fresh as the Storm guys did (who'd had a week off), and I reckon you have to factor that in somewhat. Matai's and Ballin's injuries then crippled us further.

Bozo:

They only played 22 rounds back then, so the GF replay was the 28th premiership/finals game they played in, in 1978. Last Friday night's game was the 2012 team's 27th.

They didn't train every day for 10-11 months or so leading up to it. They used to start as late as Jan/Feb in those days.

They didn't have midweek interstate games played at the intensity of today's games.

They did not have a first year coach guiding the team's fortunes. They had one who had guided them to a title two seasons earlier.

There was no salary cap so theoretically they could buy 13 international standard players, if they wanted to, to fill their 13 allowable 'import' positions under the rules in place.

There were only 12 clubs involved, so theoretically you had a better chance of winning anyway, provided you had a high quality roster. Which Manly did.

They weren't the defending premiers and all that goes with it. St George missed the finals that year.

Phantar said:
Bozo:

They only played 22 rounds back then, so the GF replay was the 28th premiership/finals game they played in, in 1978. Last Friday night's game was the 2012 team's 27th.

They didn't train every day for 10-11 months or so leading up to it. They used to start as late as Jan/Feb in those days.

They didn't have midweek interstate games played at the intensity of today's games.

They did not have a first year coach guiding the team's fortunes. They had one who had guided them to a title two seasons earlier.

There was no salary cap so theoretically they could buy 13 international standard players, if they wanted to, to fill their 13 allowable 'import' positions under the rules in place.

There were only 12 clubs involved, so theoretically you had a better chance of winning anyway, provided you had a high quality roster. Which Manly did.

They weren't the defending premiers and all that goes with it. St George missed the finals that year.
You do make a very good point mate but 6 games in 25 days separates the men from the boys .

Indeed, but the game is much different now than back then. It's a lot quicker now for starters, every set of six back then resulted in a scrum at the end of the set.

I don't think an effort like 1978 could ever be replicated, with the same outcome anyway. So there is probably little point in making the comparison. Sorry!

It would be interesting if one the players from that era could give us their thoughts.

Thanks cf2. Bizarrely you made me feel better. And, truth be told, I'd rather lose this weekend than next. Runner up is horrid. Bring on 2013!

I couldn't read it blow by blow. Too gutting.
Overall we did have solid season marred by injury to key players. We will be back in 2013 with heads held high and looking for revenge on the two sides who are in the GF. I can't stand either of them but can't stand Storm more because they are full cheats. How can they con themselves into believing they were hard done by in having their titles stripped when many of them signed two contracts etc? Seriously. Full joke. That's it for me this year. Bring on 2013.

My recovery has just been setback by days after reading that. The error count,the missed tackles,the lack of meters,the lack of ball OMG I'm going to be sick. How could it be that they played so badly (Apocalypse Now guitar music playing in background) The horror,the horror,the horror

Excellent report cf2. The errors certainly seem to point to something awry with the mental preparation. Maybe a harsh lesson for our rookie coach, who otherwise has excelled this year. Bring on 2013.

Phantar said:
Or as Dr Smith would say, "The pain, the pain!"

medium_bloviating.flv.jpg

gr8 summation cf2, I like most are in disbelief and felt sick when reading the report. totally agree, with what has happened through the year to finish 4th a gr8 result. are our expectations too much? player of the year for me Jamie Lyon absolutely brilliant hopefully the boys have a relaxing off season and are fully pumped for the 2013 season can't wait

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4