The game is a different beast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
You don,t have to be a genius to see the effect of the new rules, particularly the 3rd man in, zero tackle and quick tap rules.The game is clearly faster and possession flows against any team are a recipe for disaster. Large comebacks with the pinkies square ups, higher scores in general and reward for speed and agility will be the norm by the look of it. Saints scoring 40 points ffs, cowboys and storm coming from nowhere are early evidence of that.Brad Arthur is asmart cookie by all accounts-the eels team obviously was selected to suit the new rules and it worked well.He hs been quoted as saying he wants to put the electric back in the eels and Im sure it was not just a throwaway line. He believes that's how footy games will be won and I agree.Yes I know they won the same game last year by plenty but there was a much more structured look to them yesterday even though they were playing with an attacking attitude..They will be no easybeats for us in Rd 3 without Snake.They are fast right across the paddock.

So how does that effect us?
The obvious one is our ridiculous obsession with playing 16 against 17 and refusing to consider utilities on the bench. With the new speed to the game player fatigue will be high and makeshift backlines like we had on Saturday will be smashed.

Secondly,although defence will always be of massive importance,the simple fact is more points will be needed to win games and the above mentioned speed and agility will be rewarded.The composition of our bench needs to reflect this.4 similar players with no real impact or differences in their game will not cut it. Once again utilities and quick men out of dummy half will be vital.

So much of our attack centres around snakes speed.What Tooves does will be very interesting as the realisation that Brett playing is a bonus rather than a given. Hiku at one,if that's what occurs, must result in a different,less speed orientated attcking structure for better or for worse.Tooves was obviously angry at the late rule changes on NRL on Fox the other night and it may be that we are about to find out why.How we adjust to the new rules without Snake will define our season.I love Tooves as a coach and I can't believe he will continue with the 16 v 17 as he sees the game change in front of his eyes.

Very much agree

I would love to see Hodges given a 25 min crack. His speed against the tiring packs could be dangerour.

It would also allow Ballin to spend energy in attack, something he has not been able to do since LeStrange left.

Great post Susan. Tooves is a bit too 'old school' at times. Lets hope he can adjust his tactics and the structure of the team quickly, with no Snake. Training will become more about running, and less about containment by brutal defence.

I hate to think about it, but by now, the 'R' word will have crossed Brett's mind.

Hodges is a must in my team, off the bench for 15 mins or so each half.

Storm made 60 or 70 metres every set of six in the 2 nd half by just doing one pass hit ups centerfield. On the two or three occasions we held the ball for more than one tackle we spread it wide to killer inside our own 30.

Even without the rule changes this sort of play is unprofessional. Contrast it with our sublime first half. What gives? Our senior players need a rocket.

One simple rule change that would help is for the team that scores a try to kick off. I've seen matches where one team has kept control of the ball for 10 minutes. This rule has been suggested for yonks and I can't understand why it hasn't been adopted.

That's what I've been saying all along. However, you'll probably find that there was not enough experience on the bench as it was without introducing another player. I also can't really see a bench that includes both Buhrer and Hodges.

The 4-0 Roosters/Manly semi final that enthralled all real rugby league fans was obviously totally unacceptable to the NRL.

Instead welcome to Touch NRL Season #1.

Teams like Manly built around genuine footballers creating a way through a defence like DCE, Foran, Snake, Lyon & Gift is stuffed. Now its be the fittest, don't risk too many passes or drop the ball, and then you will get all the penalties and can have your way against an opposing side who are going backwards, out on their feet and with holes everywhere.

Benji left a season too soon.

If this rubbish form of RL becomes the norm I'm out of here. I already only watch Manly games so, if you're listening Toddy, it won't take much to push me over the edge.

Just watch how many tries this year are scored by big speedy back rowers from close range as tired defenders retreat. Frizelle cored a couple yesterday that wouldn't have even been on his radar last year.Choc is taylor made for this if we work it out and play smart.There is no excuse at all this year for our crabbing problems in the red zone that we had at times last year,.Play straight off Foran in particular and punch hard at he edges with Choc,Red and Horo.

Brissie.I agree mate.Im not saying its good,I hate it.Just saying that we need to adapt or die.The simple fact is if we play the same 17 with the same rotation and the same tactics as last year we will not make the eight.

Brissie Kid said:
The 4-0 Roosters/Manly semi final that enthralled all real rugby league fans was obviously totally unacceptable to the NRL.

Instead welcome to Touch NRL Season #1.

Teams like Manly built around genuine footballers creating a way through a defence like DCE, Foran, Snake, Lyon & Gift is stuffed. Now its be the fittest, don't risk too many passes or drop the ball, and then you will get all the penalties and can have your way against an opposing side who are going backwards, out on their feet and with holes everywhere.

Benji left a season too soon.

If this rubbish form of RL becomes the norm I'm out of here. I already only watch Manly games so, if you're listening Toddy, it won't take much to push me over the edge.

^^This
Greenturd's brave new world of touch/tackle footy. We no longer see a contest between footballers it's all about the athlete and who can get the most penalties. What a load of garbage that f***wit is turning the game into. I already have no interest in watching other teams and this bull***t is designed to cruel one of the finest pure football teams of the last decade. This jerk thinks it's all about the product ( a term that sh**s me no end). His one stadium idea is a joke as is most of his ideas.

Im not suggesting the sky is falling in.We have a great team of players. Simply suggesting what blind freddy can see-the game is totally different and unless teams adapt their personel and tactics to suit this bull**** touch football then they will perish.its not rocket science.

Has the speed of the game overall changed that much, i've only seen parts of the Souths vs Roosters game and a little of the Dragons vs Tigers game and it just looked like the usual first game openess due to fatigue and poor structures.(sometimes heat related also in the early rounds and faster tracks due to the Summer season)

Yes the odd parts of the game where the 3rd man rule applies may have been faster but there was still a lot of latitude in the tackle in relation to a nice strong wrestle which is fine by me.

Sometimes people over-react in round 1 in relation to new rule changes and over apply the reason in certain circumstances or over exaggerate there impact. Refs at the start of the year will drill home the new rule changes or over apply the new rules in the early rounds----round one is not always the best indicator of how fast or slow the game will be.

The new 3rd man rule from what i have read up on it is all about preventing the third mans first impact below the knees so coming in hitting above and sliding down seems ok or am i wrong.

Hitting above the knee yes reduces the chances in some tackles to get the player down to the ground but not always. You could also have a third man in who tackles higher up adding a different kind of wrestle technique where players are slow to untangle themselves from each other walking around the place "appearing to try and release".

Not saying the views so far are wrong but from the little i have seen it is a little quicker at times most other times the same. Quick taps and stopping the banter between the captain and ref will obviously speed up the game but the third man rule will not always result in faster play.

At the moment players yes are hesitant which may reduce the frequency of the third man due to the automatic technique of diving below the knees but this will eventually change.

Strange. I thought you would video every game and then supply your analysis to each coach, so great is your knowledge of the game.
Apologies for the sarcasim, but I was really looking forward to your normal in-depth comments on technical issues.
Perhaps after the next round?
PS. If any team needs your help it is our NSW Cup team or, probably more specifically, their coach.

The point I am making is that the combination of the new rules makes the game faster. How much each rule contributes isn't really relevant. It is faster overall - a couple of the sideline commentators on radio and tv have said they cant believe the difference from round 1 last year and they sit 2 yards from the action.

But as many have said. Faster does not equal better-Super League was ample proof of that.

Why don't we just have our players run up to the defensive line and stop dead. If momentum is stopped it's a tackle. If they try and drag player down it should be a penalty if ref has called held. Don't fight in the tackle play the ball quickly. Soon we can roll it between our legs and they can totally f*** the game up like touch footy has been f***ed up.

Thanks to Telstra i can no longer watch every Manly game on video, still have not viewed the Melb performance yet.

So the above is not technical enough for you?

I was trying to turn over a new leaf redefine my online character stay away from over analysis and be a fan with face paint chanting "Manly clap clap clap" or am i missing a clap somewhere, being a fan is way too technical for me.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6