The 'fan' forum.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
Read this morning that Mario Fenech was at this meeting as a 'fan representative'.  I've always though he was a paid commentator.  As well as a complete goose.  Just how were these 'fans' picked out to represent anyone.  Sounds like window dressing for Gallop. 

Football club memebers were invited to express their interest in attending. Manly selected 4 members to attend the forum.

I think Fenech has something to do with Souths members/club - his role his membership promotion and/or expanding/increasing their membership base.

He does also work for the NRL

Being an ex bear I heard that Fenech was there to support North's case for reinstatement to the NRL.

tookey link said:
Being an ex bear I heard that Fenech was there to support North's case for reinstatement to the NRL.
  Sounds like the kind of half-arsed attempt we've come to expect of the Bears. 

The whole exercise sounds like a lot of horse sheet.  "Blah, blah, blah, thanks very much, goodbye".  "Now where's lunch?"  Maybe things will change in 2013, but not before.  Gallop is such a tool.

Manly had Mark from Brisbane, Vidmar, Groggo and some other lady I don't know to represent them at the forum. There was a thread on MSE in which Mark reported back his perspective on the day.

The other lady was Deb Kasmar (Mrs Eagles Nest).

The Sea Eagles asked everyone to submit a list of questions to the NRL and send it to them, they then chose 4 people to represent them from those. The NRL flew me down from Brizvegas for the day.

It was a very worthwhle excrcise and I feel quite honoured to have been chosen, happy to answer any questions from any of the Silvertails as to what happened, what was said etc ect.

did gallop strike this pose at some stage

gallopcup7.jpg

Of all the places in Australia that need a new team, NSW should be at the bottom of the list.

I would be putting a team in Ipswich, Sunshine Coast / Central Queensland Coast and Perth before even considering reinstating a team that continually disappointed its supporters. 

Give the next team to PNG, it's their national game and then look to Perth and South Africa, Adelaide even.  Maybe a team based in Fiji would be good.  Not in NSW. 

Whilst the question of an 'extra team" did come up it just does not fit in with the dollars currently available. There is no doubt that the last place another team would be located would be Sydney.

This was discussed (for about 5 mins in the 2 1/2 hours) and David Gallop mentioned that Perth / Adelaide were considerations to make it a true national compeition but it was some way in the future (he said not even considered until something like 2015)

It's where the teams might be put (TV revenue etc etc) but the places that need another team and that would support another team are Western Brisbane and perhaps the Central Coast of NSW.

Just my opinion (that last bit)!!!

And in answer to the question about his pose....yes he looked that that for much of the day!!!

Gallop would say 2015.  By then we'll be fourth of the football codes and struggling.  Seven years away.  The guys a real disaster. 

How about putting their ****ing foot down with Channel 9 and Foxtel. Make it quite clear that if 9 dont lift their game and start showing games live or close to (I had to sit up until 10:30 last night to watch the Aussies), or at the very least allowing Foxtel to show it live if 9 wont, that the tv rights will be taken away from the them completely when the contract is up.

The problem is that the Fox, Channel 9, NRL and Telstra business "model" is more incestuous then a Tasmanian family reunion. The only way for it to be solved is for the NRL to become an independant body charged with running the game for the GOOD of the game, not as a product to be exploited by the heavyweight corporates to prop up bottom lines.

There is always plenty of handwringing from the players about getting their share of the profits and making sure that the wealth is spread around,  but if the RLPA had some balls and some teeth they could drive the change required, because no players = no product.

Don't the NRL fund the Players Association?  I'm sure they do, and that said, it really is the Tasmanian reunion merry-go-round.  Disgraceful really.  Gallop and his business model will see this game drown.

To be honest I found David Gallop very "forthcoming"...he answered every question as fairly as he could, and they were busy taking notes all day long so there's no doubting our thoughts were being heard. I think the big problem they have is that you have News on one side and then Foxtel (owned mainly by News) and Chanel 9 on the other side, so it's sort of "one master dictating the rules to itself"

He did say that many teams would not survive without News, including Melbourne, Canberra and the Cowboys and he said if we are going to grow the game, grow the revenue from the media that we need this to be a "National" competition.

I think he is genuine about wanting the game to progress and you must admit having this day, and taking "stick" from all of us for quite some time is a gutsy move.

Don't think I am a David Gallop "love child" or anything just trying to convey to you how I read the state of play!!!

All the talk of exapansion of the game is a joke to me. They want to shut down Sydney clubs and move elsewhere but Melbourne, Canberra and the Cowboys need News funding to stay afloat. News were the one who started the hike in costs in the game with Superleague. Now we have a gun at our head in the way that the game is run. Do you please fans or appease the PayTV lobby?

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7