The channel 10 deal With cbs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Has to be good for rugby league if the deals goes through. There is no way ch 10 was ever going to be a viable alternative to the tv rights given that packer and murdoch were major
Stakeholders

A bit of diversity in the network space make shake up a few things. Ch 9 is pissed at the cricket rights and wants ch 10 big bash included in its deal , as of course they had no foresight into what may work in sport

Faaark me the taliban could have bought 10 and ide be happy just as long as murdoch / packer regieme is dilitued somewhat

Faaark me the taliban could have bought 10 and ide be happy just as long as murdoch / packer regieme is dilitued somewhat

Lol

They'd have a decent cricket team i'd imagine.

The fireworks on grand final night would also be spectacular.

Only issue I see is everyone would have beards and white shirts.

As long as Nine lose the next free to air rights i dont care who gets them in their place. They dont deserve them. Id be happy for 10 to get them. Hopefully CBS pump a lot of money into 10 and it happens

If the NRL had half a brain (which we all know they don't) they would spread the free to air rights over the 3 channels. 9 could have Friday night, seven a sat night game and 10 could do a Sunday 6pm game which could replace the Friday 6pm game.

What you would get would be 3 channels who would promote the game in general and 3 different perspectives in terms of coverage.

A win for all. Won't happen though :wasntme:

Has to be good for rugby league if the deals goes through. There is no way ch 10 was ever going to be a viable alternative to the tv rights given that packer and murdoch were major
Stakeholders

A bit of diversity in the network space make shake up a few things. Ch 9 is pissed at the cricket rights and wants ch 10 big bash included in its deal , as of course they had no foresight into what may work in sport

CBS have some decent coverage of the NFL, so you would expect they have interest in sports coverage in Australia. I like CH10s sports coverage, be nice for a change.

The NRL has locked in their new deal so we wont see a change for a while.

Ch10 invested in the BBL when 9 didnt want it. Its now grown rapidly so I say too bad too sad to Ch9. I imagine if CBS are serious they will try poach all the cricket rights off ch9.

Last edited:
If the NRL had half a brain (which we all know they don't) they would spread the free to air rights over the 3 channels. 9 could have Friday night, seven a sat night game and 10 could do a Sunday 6pm game which could replace the Friday 6pm game.

What you would get would be 3 channels who would promote the game in general and 3 different perspectives in terms of coverage.

A win for all. Won't happen though :wasntme:
There was a time where, C2 had the Saturday, C7 had Sunday and C10 had Wednesday on TV and easily 6 radio stations calling games on the radio. Two morning and two afternoon papers, RLW, Rugby league World (monthly) and the Big League. Now that is exposure.

There was a time where, C2 had the Saturday, C7 had Sunday and C10 had Wednesday on TV and easily 6 radio stations calling games on the radio. Two morning and two afternoon papers, RLW, Rugby league World (monthly) and the Big League. Now that is exposure.
It's great exposure.
But the dummies went for big money off the radio rights and are now stuck with a mob who barely talk football, and never leave the studio when they do call a game, and another mob who switch to the afl.
Lucky the ABC still calls it.
Instead of letting all stations have it for a nominal fee and there's your radio advertising.
2sm and 2ue were keen last time but the league jumped into bed with the blowhard p*sshead singo and now they are stuck with it.

and three sunday newspapers reporting the game.
My memory might be a bit scrambled but now that you mention that didn't we have 4 per day during the week?
Telegraph, Sun and morning and arvo editions of the Daily Mirror?
All heavily reporting rugby league.
Not to mention the quality journos back then that made the current lot, with a couple of exceptions ( Malcolm Knox being one), look like lame ducks.
I didn't include the herald cause I thought they were more rah rah.

I think 7 has the world cup with commentators including Dan Ginane from MMM and Andrew Moore from ABC. It will be interesting to see how they handle the transition from radio to tv (in light of Hadley's issues) but it will be good if there are a few viable options around for other networks to consider in any bid to take it off 9.

G(inane) is an Olympic class knob.
That Maroon bloke is better. Especially if put him with someone called white!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8