The Bush fires ....and floods

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gee that could make a mess when it melts!

When I first visited Canada...waaaay back in 19 dickety two... I hadn't ever thought of what to do with the piles of snow. I still remember my bother in law explaining that first they have to move it away and dump it somewhere...but then the big pile of snow eventually melts and the water has to run off somewhere.

It's so obvious that I kinda feel he must have thought I was an idiot. But he married my sister so jokes on him!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Storms have brought heavy rain to fire-hit regions of eastern Australia - but authorities warn the nation's bushfire crisis is still "far from over".

More than 80 blazes were still burning across New South Wales (NSW) and Victoria on Monday, despite downpours.

- sheesh.

I hope the money raised gets to the people quickly. It seems that most times money gets raised then the organisations that have it dither about trying to make sure it's all above board (which is fine) but it takes far too long to hand it out.

--------------------------------------------------------

I hope the money raised gets to the people quickly. It seems that most times money gets raised then the organisations that have it dither about trying to make sure it's all above board (which is fine) but it takes far too long to hand it out.
True, but probably still better than the govt's bushfire relief packages (unless you live in a marginal seat)

When I first visited Canada...waaaay back in 19 dickety two... I hadn't ever thought of what to do with the piles of snow. I still remember my bother in law explaining that first they have to move it away and dump it somewhere...but then the big pile of snow eventually melts and the water has to run off somewhere.

It's so obvious that I kinda feel he must have thought I was an idiot. But he married my sister so jokes on him!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Storms have brought heavy rain to fire-hit regions of eastern Australia - but authorities warn the nation's bushfire crisis is still "far from over".

More than 80 blazes were still burning across New South Wales (NSW) and Victoria on Monday, despite downpours.

- sheesh.

--------------------------------------------------------

NSW Gov has centralized everything through their existing NSW Services Department and have inspectors then go and verify the claims.

What gets me is the number of victims wanting quick monies for uninsured houses.
They did not deem insurance to be important enough but now they want to rebuild in the very same danger zones with other people's monies ;)

Hopefully home insurance will be compulsory for everyone as all our premiums will be increased after this prolonged set of disasters :wondering:

There is going to be a potential Gov buyback of land where access is restricted for emergency vehicles.
It's going to be a long process for the 2,000 home owners in any case

NSW Gov has centralized everything through their existing NSW Services Department and have inspectors then go and verify the claims.

What gets me is the number of victims wanting quick monies for uninsured houses.
They did not deem insurance to be important enough but now they want to rebuild in the very same danger zones with other people's monies ;)

Hopefully home insurance will be compulsory for everyone as all our premiums will be increased after this prolonged set of disasters :wondering:

There is going to be a potential Gov buyback of land where access is restricted for emergency vehicles.
It's going to be a long process for the 2,000 home owners in any case

We were discussing that stuff during the worst days of the fires, when we were having a lot of trouble getting emergency vehicles in and out - it wasn’t just tourists deliberately proceeding on their holidays to places with one road in and out, but also the people who had - pretty irresponsibly, I reckon - built houses in areas you couldn’t easily get to on a good day that had us scratching our heads.

After the 2005 tsunami, the Sri Lankan government instituted a ‘45-metre rule’ that meant nobody could rebuild that close to the ocean. It left a lot of people needing to be resettled, but I can’t help thinking it was a sensible thing to do, and we need to look at something similar.

And don’t get me started on the massive housing (and industrial) developments that have sprung up on the biggest floodplain in western Sydney in recent years...we’re going to hear the same sort of complaining and hands out for $$$ for uninsured properties, when the area never should’ve been rezoned to begin with...

Here's a bit about waiting for the $$$$

It's been three weeks since Liz and Nigel Girvan's mudbrick Mallacoota home burnt to the ground in the New Year's Eve fires, but the couple have only received $1120 in relief money.

All they could save were a few boxes of personal belongings.
For the next two weeks they slept in their caravan, or as guests of friends. Finally, last week the couple, both aged 60, were able to secure a 12-month rental in a local holiday home.

But while almost $500 million has been donated for bushfire relief, the Girvans are still in limbo, filling out applications for further help but overwhelmed amid the detritus of the life they had built.
After receiving the initial relief from the state government, Ms Girvan two weeks ago applied for a Red Cross cash grant of up to $10,000. Last week she requested emergency cash relief up to $4500 from the Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund, a local charity that has raised $3.88 million.

She's grateful for the help but is yet to hear back from either, with no clear time frame originally given on when she would.
The Red Cross has received more than $95 million, including $30 million allocated to helping people with immediate needs such as a lost home, and is fighting to get the money to those in crisis.

About 559 cash grants have been approved but a further 1500 remain on the waiting list, with that number rising daily as the organisation processes applications "as fast as we can".
While the Girvans have been able to live comfortably in the meantime, in part due to the generosity of fellow "Mallacootians", it's added to the uncertainty that has overtaken their lives.

"The money will come in handy when we get out of here to go and buy clothes and things like that, or later when we're building ... but for other people, I'm sure they need it more urgently."

John Mitchell, president of the Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund, said grants for those with destroyed homes are transferred within a day of the council approving them, but that approval can take multiple days.

etc

Here's a bit about waiting for the $$$$

This is an example of unrealistic expectations.:nerd:

Insurers aren't known for speed and the extent of the whole east and southern coast of Australia fires will add to the delay in rectifying this disaster:cool:

Bringing y'all some water for the fires!

EOq61QwW4AE7aEA

Snowed in?

Build a snow fort!!!!

Hope everyone on here survived the fires. I know some of you had the flames pretty close.

In Nth America they call them "Brush fires" as saying bush makes them giggle.

I like 'bushfire', not sure why, it sounds quite Australian somehow, but I also don't mind the US term 'wildfire', which is quite descriptive.

Bushfire Cricket Bash
Amazing to see so many all time legends in the one place at the one time.
Hope Binga pulls the trigger on a delivery to SCam Smith.

Bushfire Cricket Bash
Amazing to see so many all time legends in the one place at the one time.
Hope Binga pulls the trigger on a delivery to SCam Smith.
He got fairly well tonked by that afl bloke.
It's strange watching guys like Courtney Walsh after all these years.
I still remember him as he was a then.
And Lara,
He could still be playing.
Still class...

Finally some steady rain in God's Country today but 6m swell wiping out Fairybower again ;)
Steady rain? an understatement, it hasn't stopped here in lower blue mountains, many trees down, we had no power for 4 hours and endeavour said 25000 are without power and estimated it might be fixed by 12 o'clock ...tomorrow!! Then it's suddenly come on, but for how long I do not know. The news says most rain in Sydney for 2 decades, and I believe it!

Steady rain? an understatement, it hasn't stopped here in lower blue mountains, many trees down, we had no power for 4 hours and endeavour said 25000 are without power and estimated it might be fixed by 12 o'clock ...tomorrow!! Then it's suddenly come on, but for how long I do not know. The news says most rain in Sydney for 2 decades, and I believe it!
Well , we are isolated here at North Richmond. The bridge is flooded and closed. I guarantee Coles will run out of food by tomorrow because people panic like its the end of the world. I have never seen so much water all over the place, its like wall to wall water wherever you go, but we needed it. I just hope its getting to the area,s that need it most

Well , we are isolated here at North Richmond. The bridge is flooded and closed. I guarantee Coles will run out of food by tomorrow because people panic like its the end of the world. I have never seen so much water all over the place, its like wall to wall water wherever you go, but we needed it. I just hope its getting to the area,s that need it most
Geez. Compare that to what were looking at out there a month ago mate.
Incredible isn't it...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4