The blowout...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
A word we are hearing more and more (although as a parent of a very young human, it was already a prevalent word in my house, but for other reasons @:D ).

With the 6 again rule it was always going to come up. We have had some big scorelines already.

Seems any coach that gets hammered drops it as the excuse.

Funny how games between the top teams havnt blown out (although not exactly nail biters).

I don't deny the rule plays a part, but is it a case that teams just need to get better. Or do we need a tweak, such as the scoring team kick off as many on here have suggested.

Last edited:
Give it time, teams will adjust I think. We are only 2 rounds into the new rule. Parra pumped a stronger Broncos team last year by 60 and this 6 again rule wasn't around

I think the refs will warm into the rule as will defensive sides - both parties will work out where that happy medium is between keeping the ruck flowing and subsequent punishment if they don't. You've got to remember it's not a new interpretation of ruck infringements, but rather a new way of punishing them - 6 again instead of penalty.

Someone on here before tabled the idea of the scoring team kicking off, I would much rather that than having ridiculous blowouts, not a good look and ironically the complete opposite of what greenturd spent the last decade banging on about. He was always so proud of the close comp

In my opinion... The reason scores were close was because of contrived and artificial square-up penalties that happened in nearly every game. It helped to create the narrative that the competition was closer than ever, and ergo better than ever.

Take those away and this is what you get. I don't have any problems with it, but the broadcasters probably do, as they will want to keep people tuned in until the end to maximise their advertising revenue.

I would also point out that Brisbane (who are the new poster children of the new blowout phenomenon) lost by 58 points only 5 games ago (without the 6-again rule). So them losing by 59 points on Thursday should be viewed in that context.

Some teams have come back better from the break could be another factor but also the 2 ref system had a lot more stoppages so that kept teams in the game for longer.

The number of teams who haven’t scored a point so far is the obvious change to me.

How are Manly going to avoid a blow out with the penalty count at about 15-2 Parramatta's way tonight? A friend told me Parramatta's penalty count this year favours them 30-9. I wonder if this is accurate as I haven't checked yet. You shouldn't lose too many games with these numbers. Get ready for a stitch-up! The NRL is not even trying to hide their Parramatta love.

Last edited:
Roosters coach Robinson knows the secret. Look at the 2018 grand final. Don't plan for an 80 minutes contest. Throw all of your effort into the first 10 minutes to get all the momentum going your way. The referees give the early penalties (and now six again) to the team showing the most urgency in trying to the play the ball. The referees just need to stay out of it for the first 20 minutes. Let both teams get into the game.

I wonder how much we also underestimate the lack of crowd and the effect that can have on motivating players. A crowd, particularly home crowd, can help get a team back in the game when seemingly out of it.

In my opinion... The reason scores were close was because of contrived and artificial square-up penalties that happened in nearly every game. It helped to create the narrative that the competition was closer than ever, and ergo better than ever.

Take those away and this is what you get. I don't have any problems with it, but the broadcasters probably do, as they will want to keep people tuned in until the end to maximise their advertising revenue.

I would also point out that Brisbane (who are the new poster children of the new blowout phenomenon) lost by 58 points only 5 games ago (without the 6-again rule). So them losing by 59 points on Thursday should be viewed in that context.

Some very good points in the post , well said!!

How are Manly going to avoid a blow out with the penalty count at about 15-2 Parramatta's way tonight? A friend told me Parramatta's penalty count this year favours them 30-9. I wonder if this is accurate as I haven't checked yet. You shouldn't lose too many games with these numbers. Get ready for a stitch-up! The NRL is not even trying their Parramatta love.
You’ve taken the same line @mickqld has ( will) had (have ), and to be honest you both aren’t far from wrong.

Discipline is the key tonight

nice points sir. You are right about tv, if the broncos get toweled up again they will apply pressure to the nrl . They need there tv choice games to be ratings winners.

With kayo making sport more financally achievable , and foxtel having better quality games , nines selection of FTO games will be tested

If we were to put a big blowout on the worms tonight, then there will be calls for change.

Yep @Mark from Brisbane anticipating the usual stitchup tonight. Sin bins, 6 agains all one way traffic. It'll be a fiasco.

The penalty counts in their favour this year are horrifically one-sided. The Titans were walloped 14-2 in the penalties and people said the Eels played well and the Titans were crap. Well, duh! No friggin' wonder...

Yes, watch the 6 agains as well.

If the Pinkies decide it’s Parramatta’s day it’ll be their day, these new rules let them do that without the blink of an eye!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4