The Backs and the Salary Cap!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
So in an ideal world we could keep everyone but with the Salary Cap the key to remaining successful is to know when to let players go.

Now i think we all agree that we cannot afford to re-sign T-Rex, he is a luxury player that has not stepped up enough.

The tough calls come with Matai, Robertson and Wolfman. Now im not sure on who is off contract i think Matai is but lets assume we could ship out any of them without having to pay parts of there salary.

For mine we need to release 1, possibly 2 of these guys to ensure we can sign a big name prop and retain some youngsters.

I'd personally keep Robbo, he is the most unfashionable but he is cheap, reliable and a great servant.

The other two are a flip of a coin job, both are great when in form, both are much loved, but both are injury prone and both would want coin.

I'd personally love to keep them both but we have to let one go and if the other wants a cent more than we can afford, let them go too.

Its time to be brutal and carrying to many big names hurts a club.

I we let T-Rex, Matai and Wolfman go we would be initially weaker on paper but overall with money to strengthen the pack we would be stronger. We would still be able to field a backline of

1.Stewart
2.Robertson
3.Lyon
4.Hoppa/Whare
5.Oldfield/Hoppa

and Whare/Oldfield, Davey and lodge for backup. Inexperienced i know but a better balanced squad.

Now i know the quick response will be "1 good game from the young guns and you want to cut test players" and no thats not it, im not getting over excited i just think we need to make big calls in order to keep a good balance

I rate robbo still but I'd probably look at age and quality as a mix robbo will probably make way for young hoppa and who knows with fifi.

time to make the tough calls and that may be the young fellas coming through get the nod

cant see T rex getting the 150K rumoured he got on this contract. Would keep him but at 100K and as a forward.

Wolfman would also have a drop in price i would think since his last one was on the back of the Aussie gig and we have Hoppa/Oldfield in the wings (pun intended).

Long term i see Hoppa being a centre but right now im happy for him to keep flloating around as needed and getting a rest in between.

Robbo is the best finisher in the league but for how much longer. Would be a good candidate to go and grab his superannuation in superleage for a few years.

Lyon is the most likely candidate to make way for Hoppa but when?

Matai adds something we dont have in running it out from inside our 20 off a kick, hoppa tries and does well but not as good. He is also getting older and not sure how much longer his body will hold up to that style of play.

Stewy is a no brainer to keep but again would have to be reduced price from his last contract given his injury history.

Oldfield looks a player we want to keep as well.

Thats 7 blokes for 5 positions, 3 are towards the end, 1 midway and 3 young.

Tough calls ahead

Matai was just re-signed last year.  We kept him despite him receiving strong interest from the Sharks and Warriors which indicates we payed him at least the market rate.

Said it before, but as much as I love Stevie, we should have let him go. 

Year after year we have plenty of injuries in the backline, Killer / Matai playing rep games.. there is always need for a lot of depth there. Move t-rex to the forwards, or set him free and i think we've got it perfectly covered, tbh.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6