The 14 to Nil curse

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles Nest 08

Reserve Grader
They had a replay of the Manly v’s Souths 1984 semi on Fox Sports last week and Manly were leading 14-0 and then lost the knock out semi 22 -18.

Then in the 1989 GF the Tigers were leading 14-0, but lost to Canberra as we all know and in 1999 GF the Dragons were leading 14-0 (if I recall?) and also lost to Melbourne in the end!

Also a few important games where teams and that great start all leading 14-0 and then lost the game in the end!

A superstitious RL Fan would think that Souths have inherited Norths curse.

Inheriting the ability to snatch defeat away from the jaws of victory.

Eagles Nest 08 said:
They had a replay of the Manly v’s Souths 1984 semi on Fox Sports last week and Manly were leading 14-0 and then lost the knock out semi 22 -18.

Then in the 1989 GF the Tigers were leading 14-0, but lost to Canberra as we all know and in 1999 GF the Dragons were leading 14-0 (if I recall?) and also lost to Melbourne in the end!

Also a few important games where teams and that great start all leading 14-0 and then lost the game in the end!

Balmain were winning 12-2 at halftime in 1989.
Good theory but...

I was at that semi final in 84. It was similar to Friday night, we had them on toast, the vermin were backing up from a mid week play off and we stormed into the lead, the team throught it was over and then proceeded to make every error in the book, conceding 3 tries from bombs and we were sunk. At the time it was humiliating, glad we have at least squared that ledger.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I hear many opinions that we are likely to wilt towards the end. However I see it as just as likely that towards the end, if we are close, it is Souths that will be feeling the pinch. Both physically and mentally. The pressure on their players will be immense and could easily lead to some errors. Don't underestimate the mental aspect of fatigue. Our experienced team should have an edge in mental toughness.

I saw an old finals match on fox with us as raging favourites against a 'tired, battered, and outclassed' bunny outfit. We skipped away to 14-nil, but they came back with a couple of tries from bombs. Next minute they had the momentum, grew another leg and won the game. These things happen in footy. Boot could be on the other foot this time :D

copied from a pre-Souths match thread ... I was counting on us turning the table and we did.
as to my first point above - I nailed it! I should get a job as a footy analyst!

(the 14-nil thing doesn't always work - we led Storm 14-nil in the 2008 GF and that didn't go so well for them :)

eagles2win said:
A superstitious RL Fan would think that Souths have inherited Norths curse.

Inheriting the ability to snatch defeat away from the jaws of victory.

Well, the Bears are Souff$ NSW Cup affiliate.....

sheridanstand78 said:
I was at that semi final in 84. It was similar to Friday night, we had them on toast, the vermin were backing up from a mid week play off and we stormed into the lead, the team throught it was over and then proceeded to make every error in the book, conceding 3 tries from bombs and we were sunk. At the time it was humiliating, glad we have at least squared that ledger.

I was going to that game in 1984 until my wife pointed out that I was hosting our daughter's first birthday party, double the pain. Then last Friday much the same , hosting my daughter's son first birthday! Uncanny but a pleasing result in front of a new Manly fan.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6