Television's future being decided in Canberra

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Television's future being decided in Canberra

MILES KEMP From: The Advertiser
November 23, 2010 12:01AM
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/tv/televisions-future-being-decided-in-canberra/story-e6freeul-1225958805057
OTHER than big banks, television networks are the most protected species in Canberra but regulatory changes loom which could change all that, as MILES KEMP reports. 
BIG TV is one of the most powerful lobby groups in the nation's capital, so powerful that the Federal Government has taken more than 12 months to painstakingly negotiate what changes, if any, are tolerable to the network bosses who currently enjoy exclusive first broadcast access to 1300 events across 12 sports.
The so-called "anti-siphoning scheme" was introduced in 1994 to ensure that events of national importance and cultural significance remained freely available to the Australian public.
It is a right justified, the free-to-air networks argue, because only about 30 per cent of the public have chosen to, or can afford to, subscribe to pay TV.
The list of sporting events is extensive and spans the Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, Melbourne Cup, Australian rules football, rugby league, rugby union, cricket, soccer, tennis, netball, golf and motor sports. But it is an anti-competitive system which does not sit well with the drive towards a less-regulated economy and has been subject to open criticism even by the Government's own competition watchdogs.

The current anti-siphoning list of sporting events expires on December 31, with the Government now scrambling to reach an agreement on what changes can be made acceptable to the warring pay TV and free-to-air camps.
The third parties in the dispute, major sporting groups such as the AFL, are also eagerly awaiting the result, which could have significant effects on the value of the telecast rights for their events.
The Federal Government's caution on the issue has created a void of information within which wild speculation has developed over the past four weeks and especially since Cabinet first discussed a decision on the issue last week.
In the absence of information, major network advocates have been able to fuel speculation that Australian Open tennis, major AFL games, some international cricket matches and some Olympic events could be lost to pay TV.
The free-to-air TV lobby panicked earlier this month as speculation swirled that Communications Minister Stephen Conroy had caved in to pay TV interests to remove the majority of the AFL and NRL weekly matches from the anti-siphoning list.
Senator Conroy has shied away from even suggesting what is on the negotiating table, pending the findings of the year-long review, describing his approach as "dignified" amid the speculation.
Other than denying outright the statement in a Melbourne newspaper that "Some blockbuster AFL games could disappear from free-to-air television", he has made little specific public contribution to what the TV landscape will look like, or even if a decision will definitely be made this year.
Speculation is rife that the AFL will have greater power to sell TV rights to some games to the highest bidder, giving pay TV direct access rather than on-buying off free-to-air stations.
The biggest games would remain on free-to-air but the AFL would benefit financially from any additional competitive tension during bidding for TV rights.
But AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has pointed out that the sport's interests would not be best served by accepting the highest bidder if audience share were decimated in the process. For the future of the sport, fan power is at least the equal of obtaining the top dollar in any bidding process, he has suggested.
With the Federal Government's parliamentary majority on a knife edge it is unlikely brave changes will be made to the current system. A picture developing from limited public comments and leaked versions of executive-level discussions with Senator Conroy is one in which the rights of free-to-air TV to events which are on the anti-siphoning list - but are not considered lucrative enough to telecast live - are eroding.
In exchange the Federal Government would break down the barriers to free-to-air stations telecasting first-run events on their multiple digital channels. At the centre of the debate the two major changes are seen as a sensible compromise.
One advocate of a use it or lose it system for free-to-air TV is Foxtel chief executive Kim Williams who argues what is sought by pay TV is far more sensible than the public debate to date would suggest.
He told ABC radio the debate should be about the content set aside for free-to-air television which is never transmitted. For example, 75 per cent of sport which free-to-air TV has first rights to is not transmitted live.
"That which is played on free-to-air television should continue to enjoy protection, that which is not should be available for open competition," he said.
HOW ANTI-SIPHONING LAWS COULD CHANGE TV

>WHAT COULD CHANGE: Currently 1300 events in 12 sports are protected for free-to-air television only but the majority are never aired. Protection for free-to-air TV will continue but will be eroded.
>WHAT FREE-TO-AIR TV WANTS: Continued protection from open bidding for major events.
>WHAT PAY TV WANTS: Open competition for major sporting events, without rules currently excluding pay TV.
>WHAT FREE-TO-AIR TELEVISION IS LIKELY TO GET: Relaxation of the current restrictions from airing sporting events on their digital channels.
>WHAT PAY TV IS LIKELY TO GET: A use-it-or-lose-it policy applied to the events such as the 75 per cent of sporting programs they control but do not transmit.

poll on the site
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/tv/televisions-future-being-decided-in-canberra/story-e6freeul-1225958805057
Sport on TV - who decides?
Who should get the job to pick which AFL and NRL games are shown on pay TV and free-to-air TV?
a) Parliament
b) free to air TV (ie networks 7, 9 or 10)
c) The codes - AFL and NRL
d) There should be no restrictions - let the market decide
Vote now

As seemingly one of the few Silvertails who doesn't have Foxtel (for a number of reasons) I'm fearful that all decent sporting telecasts will be on Pay TV. So I hope the Government stay strong on this, although their record on sticking to promises is not encouraging.

Get into pay TV Barry.  Free to air have never done anything to promote the League.  They don't deserve protection. 

DSM5 link said:
Get into pay TV Barry.  Free to air have never done anything to promote the League.  They don't deserve protection. 

Not that simple, I'm afraid, for several reasons:
1. I live in a battleaxe block, around 50-metres from the road, in an area with lots of huge trees, so the cost to run a cable to my house is not only very expensive, it would also dig up a large section of our driveway and be an eyesore
2. A dish won't work because of the high trees. We've tried several times
3. My wife knows if I get Pay-TV she'll never get any of my sparkling conversation
4. Pay TV is far too expensive for many people

dont worry barry, im another one who doesnt have it and my reasons are no where near as logical as yours. I had it for about 8 years, moved house and thought blow it

Apart from manly games its pretty much **** content

I hooked a pooter to my plasma and download the games on internet. Apart from initial investment which gives me many other advantages its basicly free if i watch my downloads. The quality isnt spot on and i only get about 75% screen but it does the job

**** foxtel, i say.

"I hooked a pooter to my plasma . . ."

I don't know what that means. Sounds either like something you smoke or something that you pay for a Kings Cross. Anyway, it shows that there are still some people like us who support the Sea Eagles and not Foxtel.

Allow me to translate.

James no longer resides at his former adress which had Subscription Television installed.

As the Manly matches were the main viewing choice, he decided upon reflection to forgo this little used luxury at his new location.

As another option he attached his Televison set to his Personal Computer, whereupon he was able to view his otherwise obtained Rugby League games at a cheaper price after his initial startup costs.

Hope that helps Barry :)

Further translation specific to point 3 of Barry Hylands post:

"3. My wife knows if I get Pay-TV she'll never get any of my sparkling conversation"

Barry converses with his wife on many delightful topics, with a regular theme centred on the subject of Beaver. Barry has on many occassions proclaimed his great love of Beaver. 

Mrs Hyland, greatly enjoys this discourse however she has now expressed a concern that if Barry was to have Pay TV installed, the regular discussions about Beaver might well discontinue, due to the distractions caused by the greatly increased level of sporting content available to Barry.

We should all agree that a sparkling Beaver is precious and should be protected at all costs.

TBH i hope all games go to foxtel.

f*ck free-to-air.
they don't deserve the footy matches.

barry i now someone who had a similar problem to yours, austar mounted the dish on a pole that the homeowner got from the tip for $10!

this was about 6/7 years ago.....
out in condobolin

I was in Condobolin a few years ago seeing my cousin.  He took me on a tour of the town and in a street was a house completely adorned with Manly stuff.  Flag flying etc.  Inspiring. 

Foxtel has actually saved me money.  Staying at home watching the footy is a lot cheaper than having to go to the local and watching it there!

I would use an internet service that offered me the ability to watch live streams of NRL games with a pay-per-view type fee.

I refuse to pay $90 a month for Foxtel just to watch 4 games of football. My parent inlaws parents in the UK get to order single games of football via cable TV for a few pound with no ongoing costs for the other rubbish you never watch. TV feed turns on when games starts turns off when done. That'd do me.

Fro link said:
Allow me to translate.

James no longer resides at his former adress which had Subscription Television installed.

As the Manly matches were the main viewing choice, he decided upon reflection to forgo this little used luxury at his new location.

As another option he attached his Televison set to his Personal Computer, whereupon he was able to view his otherwise obtained Rugby League games at a cheaper price after his initial startup costs.

Good work Fro, Thats exactly what i meant. I am gald there was no need to translate my last comment although id love to see it

Thanks guys for all the translations, marital advice and the suggestion that I put a 10-metre high aerial in my backyard. However, I think Condobolin is a little different to Roseville. Perhaps if it looked like a tree . . .

jbb/james link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=186008.msg307329#msg307329 date=1290576109]
Allow me to translate.

Good work Fro, Thats exactly what i meant. I am gald there was no need to translate my last comment although id love to see it
[/quote]

I invite Foxtel to go and perform carnal acts upon themselves, I suggest.

Interesting Flip.  When I was in Canada last, I could only purchase the Monday night games over the net.  I travel a bit and am always amazed at the paucity of world coverage of league through the NRL.   

That's actually not a bad idea Flip.....I pay my Foxtel (sort of in the middle no movies but sport and a few other chanels) pretty much to guarantee I can see my team play when they play and it's shown live.

Being from Vegas all we get here is Bronco's, Titans and Cowboys and if they are playing Manly I watch Chan 9, otherwise it's Foxtel.

Other than that what do I watch on Foxtel for $90 a month.

Sky News (a bit)

Weather Chanel (a bit)

And occasionally I'll have maybe Music Max on in the background, otherwise the rest is crap.

So would I pay $20 just for Manly games when they are live....probably.

This will be an interesting decision this one, I reckon status quo will be the go.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
That's actually not a bad idea Flip.....I pay my Foxtel (sort of in the middle no movies but sport and a few other chanels) pretty much to guarantee I can see my team play when they play and it's shown live.

Being from Vegas all we get here is Bronco's, Titans and Cowboys and if they are playing Manly I watch Chan 9, otherwise it's Foxtel.

Other than that what do I watch on Foxtel for $90 a month.

Sky News (a bit)

Weather Chanel (a bit)

And occasionally I'll have maybe Music Max on in the background, otherwise the rest is crap.

So would I pay $20 just for Manly games when they are live....probably.

This will be an interesting decision this one, I reckon status quo will be the go.

Although it may be "crap" Foxtel has helped raised my kids.  Not all good shows but the Disney, Cartoon Network, Boomerang and Nick Jnr channels have been like a babysitter.  Not to mention they occasionally learn something from the Discovery and Animal channels.

I pretty much watch all sports and so Foxsports is great all year round for me.

5pm here in Brisbane, with the Aussies about to bat, and Channel 9 go to Antiques Roadshow.  Bugger free to air.  They don't deserve their monopoly on sport when they treat the product so shoddily.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6