Tech Guru needed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Clint

Tipping Member
Hi all
I need your help. I can not get web pages or my emails to load to my desktop at home. I just moved the computer from work to home. It worked fine at work. All through wifi. I can hotspot through my phone and it all works. The wifi at home works with other devices including laptops. My computer dude tried the desktop at his work and could not fault it. It is showing as being connected with good signal but just wont load anything. I have even connected the dongle to the laptop and it works so it is not a compatiblity issue with the router. My computer dude is at a loss so I thought I would ask the experts :)

Hi all
I need your help. I can not get web pages or my emails to load to my desktop at home. I just moved the computer from work to home. It worked fine at work. All through wifi. I can hotspot through my phone and it all works. The wifi at home works with other devices including laptops. My computer dude tried the desktop at his work and could not fault it. It is showing as being connected with good signal but just wont load anything. I have even connected the dongle to the laptop and it works so it is not a compatiblity issue with the router. My computer dude is at a loss so I thought I would ask the experts :)

Hi mate,
I'm not quite the full on nerd as they would be yelling at you to post computer type, OS, etc etc etc... but:

1) So the internet is not working on your DT at home... but it worked at work?
2) Your internet at home works on everything but your DT
3)Computer dude tried your DT at his work and it works fine

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

If the internet works fine, and
your dt works fine, then

There must be something blocking the internet connecting to your dt.

I'd suggest:
Googling the problem and looking at a heap of results because the answer may be in there, but also....

You should go through all your settings because sometimes programs reset crap for no reason. Drives me crazy.

One time I lost all my emails and word docs and excel sheets and spent the whole weekend trying to fix it. Major panic.
then late on sunday night I found that somewhere in my control panel the activation switch for ms office was set to off.

click

everything worked!

BY settings I mean (besides anything you can think of) the internet settings and see if the numbers on your other devices match your dt, (I dunno if you have a maximum number of devices that can be connected at once either.)

settings like:

SSID:
Protocol:
Security type:
Network band:
Network channel:
IPv6 address:
IPv6 DNS servers:
2001:
IPv4 address:
IPv4 DNS servers:
Manufacturer:
Description:
Driver version:
Physical address (MAC):

(these should all be one under the other in wifi settings... i just copied and pasted [then removed my info, obv])

It's bizarre your computer guy couldn't fix it, but they fallible and I found usually bolt when things get tough...and blame the software)

But really...go through your settings to make sure they match other devices that work, google.... bonfire.

If the internet works fine, and
your dt works fine, then

There must be something blocking the internet connecting to your dt.

I'd suggest:
Googling the problem and looking at a heap of results because the answer may be in there, but also....

You should go through all your settings because sometimes programs reset crap for no reason. Drives me crazy.

One time I lost all my emails and word docs and excel sheets and spent the whole weekend trying to fix it. Major panic.
then late on sunday night I found that somewhere in my control panel the activation switch for ms office was set to off.

click

everything worked!
Thx GE. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Everything you said above is correct. The weird thing is, is that the DT is indicating that I am connected to the net. Signal strength is good and says is connected. But web pages and emails dont load. I think you are right in that something is blocking it in the process somewhere along the line. The other weird thing is that it started to load emails the other night then stopped. Had enough time to load one email and then stopped. I am getting close to taking @Harvies elbow advice :(

Thx GE. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Everything you said above is correct. The weird thing is, is that the DT is indicating that I am connected to the net. Signal strength is good and says is connected. But web pages and emails dont load. I think you are right in that something is blocking it in the process somewhere along the line. The other weird thing is that it started to load emails the other night then stopped. Had enough time to load one email and then stopped. I am getting close to taking @Harvies elbow advice :(

http://ccm.net/forum/affich-487006-wireless-connected-but-no-internet-access

Click on the wireless connection icon in left lower corner or open the network connections icon. Click properties on the wireless connection... under internet protocol (TCP/ip) highlight it and click properties.

Make sure it says obtain IP address automatically. Write down the numbers you see before you do that just in case it doesn't work.

If it still doesn't work, try to set DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS).

Then see if a website like google comes up.

I too did wonder if there was a maximum number of devices/ports that could be utilised but we are on NBN so I believe this should not be an issue... I have reset modems routers computers but alas

Thx GE. Will try when I get home tonight but I do know it is set to obtain address automatically 'cause we looked at that

Thx GE. Will try when I get home tonight but I do know it is set to obtain address automatically 'cause we looked at that

In that link there are some other 'solved problems' that may help too. Like is there an anti virus program blocking things, or...well you can read.

In that link there are some other 'solved problems' that may help too. Like is there an anti virus program blocking things, or...well you can read.
Yep. Maybe bitdefender. I can't get it off my computer. Can't uninstall it. Even computer dude tried several programs to uninstall it and couldn't

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6