• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Is Taupau worth re signing next year? My opinion is that our money could be better spent elsewhere. It would free up alot of cap space to strengthen the squad as a whole. Before you disagree I am not asking if Taupau is one of the best props in the game, im asking with salary cap restraints are we better off freeing up a huge amount of space to buy a couple of marquee players in positions we need most. We have a squad that is due for ALOT of upgrades and retention of young superstars and its just not possible to keep them all as well as carry chez jake tom AFB and marty. Marty is the only one off contract so he is the obvious choice. Remember we don't live in a fantasy land where we can keep everyone aswell as recruit players and keep all our youngsters. Thats what a salary cap is there for and that's exactly why we need to be smart about our decisions moving forward.

Last edited:
Is Taupau worth re signing next year? My opinion is that our money could be better spent elsewhere. It would free up alot of cap space to strengthen the squad as a whole and buy exactly what we need as opposed to buying budget players to fill the gaps. Thoughts

Would prefer we keep him. But not at any cost.

In any case we need more big units capable of playing 40-50 minutes a game. Maybe Boyle and Paseka will eventually do this, maybe they won't.

No offence Robbo as I know your a good judge but Marty is one of the games premium props. One of the best in the business that adds 2nd phase footy. We know with the hookers we have that’s a dangerous combination when it clicks. I really hope he stays at Manly beyond his current contact as we need him to run out on grand final day in a Manly jumper.

No offence Robbo as I know your a good judge but Marty is one of the games premium props. One of the best in the business that adds 2nd phase footy. We know with the hookers we have that’s a dangerous combination when it clicks. I really hope he stays at Manly beyond his current contact as we need him to run out on grand final day in a Manly jumper.
I do watch ALOT of footy and I believe with a few nice additions we could be pushing for a premiership next year. This current squad falls just short of that. If we really want to win a comp again soon then we need to change what we currently have. The price tag he would demand is too high in my opinion. I totally agree he is one of the best props in the game but im just not sure his hefty price tag is what's best for the team and im not sure he fits in to des' plans next year and beyond. Salary cap will restrain us from keeping everyone we want. Its unfortunate but it's a reality. If we let Taupau go it would allow us to still buy a starting prop and have an extra few hundred thousand to throw at a strike back. I feel we would be a better rounded side with money better spent elsewhere.
Dont get me wrong, i am a massive fan of Taupau and I knew this thread would cause a stir, just wanting other people's opinion on his value for money and what would ultimately benefit our squad.

Last edited:
I have noticed in the big games Marty can not handle the pressure it’s not in his DNA

In big games he needs to adjust his game plan

Run hard , run straight , play the ball

Do not pass , do not off load , run good lines and decoys

I think he should be instructed to play like this immediately , when it comes finals time , he becomes like a robot

Marty strengths are size and not brains in my opinion

If there is someone better than Marty I would be happy with that

Is he stays and simplifies his game would be happy with that as well

He turns over possession regularly by premeditating to off load and teams are prepared

If he has the ability to adjust his mentality , he’s fantastic

If used the right way on the edges he. Could be an attacking weapon

I think he is better suited to an impact player off the bench , but his team might be asking too much $$$

His body is his strength not his brain , when he plays big minutes in the middle , he fatigues and this amplifies his mental deficiencies , when it’s crunch time in the back end off the game he will not be up to the task

I would rather a forward who does not have so many errors in his game

Marty has been like this his whole career , when it comes to the big dance , you want people who rise to the occasion not buckle under pressure

By simplifying his game it may reduce his error rate

It depends how you want to use him and how much you wanna spend , he’s not worth more than $550k in my opinion but I’m not a head coach and don’t know what other options exist :)

Marty is not a gifted footballer , Addin fanua Blake is a footballer

But if he simplifies his game he is a great prop

Last edited:
Team Kapow may price himself out of Manly @:cool:

I'm not fussed about him leaving for the $$$

His current contract price would get Manly 2 props which would cover injuries/suspensions in our pack :nod:
Agreed. With Marty's $ we could go and buy another Sipley and another Paseka and still have half a mil to throw around at a marquee signing. We already have the best prop in the game, and to that the Australian lock, the Australian halfback and a superstar in Tom. Out of all our big $ players Taupau is the most expendable. In reality if we want to retain these players and also upgrade the likes of Schuster, hoppa, fainu then something's gotta give. As I mentioned before if you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got! This side this year falls just short of being true contenders and if we want to win a premiership then we need to be creative in juggling our squad and unfortunately we cant keep everyone plus sign more marquee players. IN MY OPONION :)

The Warriors should recruit Marty as they flicked SJ their highly marketable player.

Having basically the Kiwi side play together all season :nerd:

Imo we only need one Premium prop, one young prop with a high ceiling and 2 hard working benches in the 17.
This was the case before AFB became the player he currently is, he will be wanting money comparative to Marty soon.
Having 2 props (and Jake) on 650k-800k is a waste of cap space imo and counter productive to a well balanced 17.

I would prefer we keep him, but I do think he is overrated at times. He has a howling error in him and loses his head and tries to throw an offload that just simply is not on. Also, the commando roll to get back to marker the other night is an example of the bizarre we get from him occasionally. I also think AFB is our powerful, second phase prop and we could probably benefit from having a reliable workhorse prop who finds their stomach and gets a quick play-the-ball.

It's probably not the dumb idea that it appears to be.

I'll say keep him, but if he goes to the highest bidder, I don't think it'll be the huge travesty that we think it is.

I would prefer we keep him, but I do think he is overrated at times. He has a howling error in him and loses his head and tries to throw an offload that just simply is not on. Also, the commando roll to get back to marker the other night is an example of the bizarre we get from him occasionally. I also think AFB is our powerful, second phase prop and we could probably benefit from having a reliable workhorse prop who finds their stomach and gets a quick play-the-ball.

It's probably not the dumb idea that it appears to be.

I'll say keep him, but if he goes to the highest bidder, I don't think it'll be the huge travesty that we think it is.
My thoughts exactly. We can go and buy a couple workhorse props to go with AFB sipley paseka etc and our front row looks fine. It seems a mad idea but when you crunch the numbers it is plausible. Plus with Marty being off contract it would be a hard BUT smart decision moving forward

Dont get me wrong, i am a massive fan of Taupau and I knew this thread would cause a stir, just wanting other people's opinion on his value for money and what would ultimately benefit our squad.

Good thread ... thought provoking and well intentioned ..... some peolpe just don't bother to read the whole post before being outraged ...

My two bobs worth is well known ... fantastic player, but Kapow playing well does not .. and has not ...necessarily translated into Manly playing well .. I believe he needs an attitude adjustment regarding the needs of "the team" and the role of the engine room ....

Having said that he is worth paying a very good amount for .... but there is ... as Robbo says .... an amount that will make other options more viable .....

I think Martin has been quite average the last 3 weeks and to be honest for the price tag not great minutes either. He was poor for most of the game against Penrith which hurt us without Jake not there. He seems to dissapear in seasons since we have had him. Not good enough for price tag.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2