Taniela Paseka is he the answer?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We're not writing him off. But after two and a bit years in first grade we do expect more from a guy who is in the top 3 for size in the NRL (only Nelson Asofa-Solomona (200 cm) and Shaun Lane (198 cm) are taller and Paseka actually outweigh's both). His size, strength and skill should see him as one of the NRL's most dominating forwards. Problem is that often he plays too passively, kinda like a gentle giant.

He needs to get some aggression into his game. Personally I'd advise him to go have a chat with Mark Carroll, if you get my meaning.

And then get him to talk to Chief Harrigan.

I think everyone is being unfair of paseka. He needs an organising 5/8 to compliment his game . He does heaps of tackles and really really tries hard.

It’s funny how we ( collective we) see different things and that’s perfectly fine , we weren’t meant to agree on everything in life.

Depending on how long Marty is out for, and of course how well he goes against Canberra, Paseka could well be starting the next 2-3 games for Manly, at least. I hope you're right and that being picked in the starting XIII will do his confidence the world of good.

None of us want him to fail, quite the opposite in fact because it can only benefit both himself and Manly. But we'd all be a lot happier if he started using his ability and natural size advantage to full effect a lot more often than we've seen.
Run ya bastard run !!

Not hard really

Bag of cement?Highlight which moments in the game when he was soft,would be interested to see.....specify exact game time

My earlier comment was probably a bit harsh on the big fella but never seems to trouble the opposition defensive line and seems to succumb quite easily when hitting the line in attack. For a guy of his size he should be unstoppable from 2 - 3 metres out yet he is not our go to in those situations.
Defensively seems to be doing a good job and doesn't make too many mistakes, so overall, I think he is doing OK but would definitely like to see a little more aggression and urgency with ball in hand.

With Paseka "s emergence now as a good first grade level prop for Manly also highlights the continuing benefit of the Western connection for the club Suli . Funa , Hamole [ hope that his time comes for Manly soon ] Fainu Also looks like the strength of the Ball and Flegg Manly sides in recent seasons is further vindication of a very useful partnership . Full credit to the original instigators in Wayne Lampkin . Bob Fulton and others in forging the link .

1st half Paseka was his typically pedestrian & useless self...obviously instructed to run the ball at halftime & look at what a world of difference that makes???? Completely different player! Taniela...don’t stop running the ball.

With Paseka "s emergence now as a good first grade level prop for Manly also highlights the continuing benefit of the Western connection for the club Suli . Funa , Hamole [ hope that his time comes for Manly soon ] Fainu Also looks like the strength of the Ball and Flegg Manly sides in recent seasons is further vindication of a very useful partnership . Full credit to the original instigators in Wayne Lampkin . Bob Fulton and others in forging the link .
Remember the days when we had a link to NZ players and were know as Maori-Warringah?

1st half Paseka was his typically pedestrian & useless self...obviously instructed to run the ball at halftime & look at what a world of difference that makes???? Completely different player! Taniela...don’t stop running the ball.

Run ya bastard RUN

An absolute giant who at times plays like a mouse.

Not enough mongrel in Taniela, Toff or Hamole.They're gentle giants. Would love someone like a Richie Faoso to get in their ear. We need more aggression from these bench players.

I think they'll come good. It's a tough position but understand the frustration on here. Just when you mentioned Richie, it made me think of Brenton Lawrence. I really liked him when he was here and thought he put it all in every game (even if he botched a try or two not passing when in the open,lol). Need to bottle some of what he had.

~she'll be right!~

Looked pretty good today. Didn't notice that he was only on for 31 minutes but still managed 134 run metres.

I thought he played his best so far. You can clearly see today that he is trying to develop an offload in his game. Alot of AFB style run, turn and try to get the arm free.

The only thing I will say is I hope they are working on his legdrive. He is such a massive human, yet post contact metres should probably be stronger.

Last edited:
He doesn't seem to have any leg-drive as E2nv said and he hasn't shown any high intensity at all BUT his D is solid, and possibly heavy.
Nothing wrong with a big, strong prop rotation that gives it his all and doesn't make mistakes.
On current showing he is not a strike starter but there is very good value in a very solid AFB/Kapow rotation at less than half the salary cap cost. I like him.

If we need an AFB/Kapow replacement we need took at 600k guys.

Last edited:
He doesn't seem to have any leg-drive as E2nv said and he hasn't shown any high intensity at all BUT his D is solid, and possibly heavy.
Nothing wrong with a big, strong prop rotation that gives it his all and doesn't make mistakes.
On current showing he is not a strike starter but there is very good value in a very solid AFB/Kapow rotation at less than half the salary cap cost.

All good points.

I think mabye too his size works against him. Being so big, they throw 3 defenders at him to stop the post contact metres.

He can offset that if he can learn an offload. You see it with Marty, teams are worried about 2nd phase plays so drop defenders off in case. Allows Marty to steal another 5 metres.

All good points.

I think mabye too his size works against him. Being so big, they throw 3 defenders at him to stop the post contact metres.

He can offset that if he can learn an offload. You see it with Marty, teams are worried about 2nd phase plays so drop defenders off in case. Allows Marty to steal another 5 metres.
Yep, and i'm sure he and our staff are working on that...and other things for him as well...otherwise he wouldn't be in the 17 buddy.

He seems to have a habit of doing a little jump, step in the air movement as soon as he catches the ball, which stuffs his momentum. Footwork at the line (a la AFB, Taumololo) can be great for a big man, but Taniela's getting ahead of himself. Run straight and hard, worry about the footwork later.

Happy to eat my hat on this one. As others have pointed out, a much improved performance with ball in hand.
Seemed to have a lot more mongrel than previous weeks. Maybe he has read this thread, or the thought of Keppie and Boyle breathing down his neck. Whatever it is, it is working.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6