Tanginoa & Paseka

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Normie

Bencher
So the Mole has reported the following which, if true, lightens our forward pack:

Two Manly players are set to attempt to make the quantam leap into American football next season.

Rugged back-rower Kelepi Tanginoa and Kiwi-born Taniela Paseka have both secretly been trialling for contracts in the NFL.

Neither have distinguished rugby league resumes - but former South Sydney reserve grader Jordan Mailata has proved that is not necessary to make it in the NFL.

While league superstar Jarryd Hayne struggled in his brief NFL stint, 21-year-old Mailata, who has never played a top level league game, recently signed a four-year $2.5 million deal with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Paseka has held talks with an NFL club while Tanginoa recently excelled in an NFL Combine Camp held by Australian agents Pacific Sports Management that was attended by scouts from leading NFL clubs.

Both are hoping to earn contracts in coming weeks.

Long odds either earn a contract..........the NFL isn't just some lacky league anyone can wander into
Agree this is another space filler for journalists who cannot find or are too lazy to find real newsworthy story

Sounds like dribble to me, but if they did go it'd really test our middle forward depth.

I'd be interested to learn what areas Tangles excelled in at the combine. Whilst he is willing enough he doesn't strike me as having the size or the power/explosiveness required for NFL.

Easy for talent scouts of any sport or code to invite players to be assessed or evaluated to see if they have some potential or ability to be then rated as serious contenders . Also can not see how either would be realistically suited . The both of them are admittedly not on serious N R L money at present but again just make you wonder what official status an N R L contract represents these days .

Easy for talent scouts of any sport or code to invite players to be assessed or evaluated to see if they have some potential or ability to be then rated as serious contenders . Also can not see how either would be realistically suited . The both of them are admittedly not on serious N R L money at present but again just make you wonder what official status an N R L contract represents these days .

As far as contracts , I’d suggest they mean almost zero.

To me this just shows the players hold the NRL to the same contempt as the fans. You cant blame the employess wanting out as much as the customers. When companies become management top heavy and start patting themsekves in the collective backs its on the slide.

When management loses its feel for any company, its product and starts relying on stats as a kpi , rather that enhancing the product and customer satisfaction its done. When you start squeezing your partners to satisfy a spreadsheet rather than engaging them and building a strong base its over

To quote the insightful pork pig bdbdbdbdbily thats all folks

Surely not. That’d be ****ing the worst. Tanginoa is a brilliant player, Paseka has potential and without them we’re going to need some strong signings

Highly, highly doubt we’d let them go, and reckon it’s just a reporters dream so letting it go in one ear and out the other

Manly's front row stocks would look thin
Martin Taupau
Fonua-Blake
Tofoafoa Sipley
Lloyd Perret
Sean Keppie

I read somewhere here on ST that Frank Winterstein is big enough to play front. It may become a reality. Jake T could play in the middle without any problems.

It was the memorizing and adhering to the inch specific plays that Hayne couldn't handle.

NRL players have so much latitude in 'playing what's in front of them'. Zero of that in the NFL :shake:

That Souths Junior is a huge man and Kelepi especially falls short.
Paseka could build up but lacks aggression. Hard to see either push a US player aside @:cool:

Martin Taupau
Fonua-Blake
Tofoafoa Sipley
Lloyd Perret
Sean Keppie

I read somewhere here on ST that Frank Winterstein is big enough to play front. It may become a reality. Jake T could play in the middle without any problems.
Well while we are all taking rumours seriously, I read somewhere Marty and AFB are leaving.
And Perrett is being moved on.
So it looks like Sipley and Keppie are our starting props, with Frankie coming off the bench supported by ... gee.. maybe Jorge? lol

Neither have distinguished rugby league resumes - but former South Sydney reserve grader Jordan Mailata has proved that is not necessary to make it in the NFL.

Mailata is huge - 203cm, 157kg (!!) and does 40 yards in 5 seconds. That is significantly bigger than any other NRL player at the moment. As far as I can tell he is on a comparitively modest contract for an NFL player as well.

If a shred of this story is true, I will be amazed if either of these guys earn a contract.

Meanwhile, the NRL would do well to scout players from US colleges like AFL have managed to do, with Mason Cox being the most notable example.

Martin Taupau
Fonua-Blake
Tofoafoa Sipley
Lloyd Perret
Sean Keppie

And according the facbook/twitter Marty is going to the roosters/parramatta/dogs as well

James Hasson will be playing front row next year at this rate

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7