Super Rugby Union Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ssar

Bencher
Great win to the Waratahs over the Hurricanes in New Zealand during the 1st round!
The boys really put in, to keep the Hurricanes from coming back in the 2nd half.
There's a (small) win in my bets for the weekend on that result alone.. Coool.

Also great to see the Brumbies win in New Zealand and rack up 33 points while doing it, even tho I didnt tip them.

Re: Super 14 Rugby Union 2009 Thread

2 Aussie sides winning in the shakey isles augers well.  My Stormers blew a good chance to get off on a winning note.  Probably 3 Saffa sides that can make some noise providing they can win in the Antipodes. 

If the Crusaders have come back to the field and the Hurricanes aren;t the hot shots everyone assumed then it could be a very interesting comp. 

It will be interesting to see where the brumbies are in 5 weeks. They looked good and the weekend and Mortlock was awesome. If they can keep form maybe they will be contenders. I watched the reds game and they didn't play that badly.

Didn't tip the 'Tahs because I thought their pack might struggle, however they were pretty good.......probably due to a lack of Matt Dunning. Gee Rob Horne looks like he could be something.

The Brumbies got out of goal in a see-sawing affair, not overly convincing, but Stirling does the job for them yet again.

i remember seeing stirling first test ever against argentina where his missed like 5 goals and my dad said "he will never play for australia again" i make him eat his words every time the guy puts in a good one

Could well be the Super 9's in the future. Word is SA will pull out and play in the Magners Cup.

It wouldn't be a bad thing for the Safers to play Euro clubs in their time zone.

Would open the way to a 5th Aussie side, a few of the Pacific countries and if Japan joined, perhaps some yen.

get Japan and China in on the action with Fiji, Somoa+tonga and maybe even get an argentine team in.

clontaago link said:
Could well be the Super 9's in the future. Word is SA will pull out and play in the Magners Cup.

Won't happen. They trot this chestnut out every year.

Saffers would have more travel not less and their players would then play all year round - Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemishpere Winters. Only thing for them would be better TV deal with the British stations. Unlikey in my view.

There'll be no TV deal if all the games end up as boring as they were over the weekend.

The interest over here is about as minimal as you could get, everyone is waiting for the cricket to start against India, and I can't wait to get down to the park tomorrow night to watch it

At cricket training tonight it was funny actually, had about 6 blokes coming up to me asking when the league starts, they can't wait for it and don't give a stuff about the 14

A lot in the region i live in, were naturally massively in the Deans camp, and from that have turned on NZ rugby in a way. Crowds are massively down all around the country, while notably last week the Warriors got 16,000 to a trial

Don't get me wrong, it still gets full and over extensive coverage on the TV, Radio and in the Papers, but the general punter on the street just seems to be over rugby and the length of the seaon. Today for example, McAllister announced he was coming back to NZ, and it was on the sports news 2 times and the general news once in the same bulletin, and last week Dan Carters doctor making a comment led the news, so the journos are still pumping it up massively but the public aren't really buying it

The excitement over this Indian tour has really over shadowed the rugby so far

Good win by the kiwis in the Twenty20 the other night.  The rugby season is long compared to the NRL nancies and their whining about burn out.  When you see a guy like McCaw running around for the Crusaders only 6 weeks after the NZ tour to Europe ended, you realise that rugby players have something of a life akin to the average worker.

Mata - Rugby is a different game to league and the players don't take the hits and the physical knocks to the same extent. Not saying it is wimpish but the defensive demands in league certainly take it out of players in a way that Rugby doesn't.

RE: Super 14 Rugby Union 2009 Thread

(Bump from ages ago)

Great to finally see the Waratahs host the 2014 SRugby final, well-deserved after a great season.

Odds seems to be fairly even across a range of sports betting companies – good respect for the 7-time champion Crusaders travelling to Sydney who've hit great form over the past several weeks.

The Crusaders & thier training staff will no doubt have a few tricks up thier sleeve to counter, break through & try to dominate thier opponents – the 'Tahs will have to up for it without a doubt.

Stadium Australia @ Homebush is certainly the best choice – they're hoping for a crowd of around 60,000 – I wouldn't be surprised if it edges closer to 70,000 (which would be great to see!) given the widespread following of Rugby Union throughout Sydney, the Hunter region and country NSW.

With Sydney teams flying high in the NRL & AFL at the moment, the NSW Blues finally breaking an 8-year winning streak by the Maroons in the League State Of Origin, things are boding well for a NSW win in the Super Rugby championship..

Have got my 'Tahs flags flying @ work & on my house proudly, will be donning the jersey Saturday and watching what will hopefully be a good game intently.
I've tipped the 'Tahs by 15.

NEW SOUTH WALES!

I agree, fingers crossed.

Been waiting for this chance for a looooooong time!

Imagine the Tahs, Swans and Manly all winning!

Waratahs by 10+

It's been a long time coming. Fingers crossed they can do it. Admittedly haven't been able to watch a lot of super rugby this year but will tune in on Saturday and cheer on the tahs. Should be a good game. Hopefully check isn't showing reruns of that 96 point drubbing from 10 years ago.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2