Suggesting paycuts mid-contract

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Harmless27

Reserve Grader
Right - I've had enough.

I am sick to death of seeing comments on here about how DCE should offer to take a pay cut.

Are people being serious here? The captain of QLD, the Australian Half Back, one of our most successful players of all time (and likely most successful captain the way he is doing)

He is literally paid unders these days compared to the stupid money being thrown around for some 10 game wonders in the media. Yet some people on here have the audacity to suggest that HE is the guy who should take a pay cut in order to facilitate the resigning of a journeyman prop and a known 'home trouble maker' (I chose my words carefully there)?

Ask yourself this question - if the best player in the market came onto the market (I don't care who you think is the best...... insert any name really) and Manly want to sign them, that player would sit back and ask themselves ;
Wow, Manly have made a great offer to me. But they tend to bully their best players into taking pay cuts mid way through their contract in order to sign other players'.

Would YOU sign with a club who does that? MID CONTRACT?

What a stupid frikkin idea. When NEW contracts are being negotiated, some people may be willing to look their declining future in the eye and take a lower contract offer in their twilight years. I am cool with that.

But DCE has 4 frikkin years left on his contract people. He is our best player. He is our most successful player. He is fabulous in the media. And he is literally on UNDERS compared to stupid offers to players like K Pongya

I am sure the same people will blame DCE as soon as any player signs elsewhere.

No it just shows you how unfair third party payments are for all the others who gross more than DCE.

I also wouldn't believe the biased media gooses on Triple M.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Triple M = don't think they are going to win any pultizers! Yes, Cherry gets paid well (I am not disputing that) but proportionally (when third paraty caps, diamond rings, brown paper bags and testimonial games are all taken into account) you HAVE to admit that he is NOT over paid, or treated better for that matter. In fact.... i CANNOT WAIT for the day in 6 years when he racks up his 400th senior game. Let's see how the NRL treat him hey

No it just shows you how unfair third party payments are for all the others who gross more than DCE.

I also wouldn't believe the biased media gooses on Triple M.

He gets paid a percentage of the cap. Currently $1.3m. www.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrls-top10-rich-list-bargain-buys-or-bad-roster-management-the-bigmoney-stars-revealed/news-story/3cbef27a7670781cea408d48f5881e43

It's overs.

The handling of the contract negotiations to the extent that he had one foot out the door was shameful.

Last edited:
H
ave you read the article?

Look who is listen number TWO! Add in his 3rd party payments, the fact he is a retiree, and the bull$hit favourable treatment he gets......

and NOW tell me, he is worth more than DCE?

BTW - I am cranky today. So I am sorry in advance if I sound like I am attacking you - that is not my intention. My son saw to it that I had now sleep, and I have Shingles..... so I am taking it out on you all - which is entirely unfair.

Can we still be friends?

H

ave you read the article?

Look who is listen number TWO! Add in his 3rd party payments, the fact he is a retiree, and the bull$hit favourable treatment he gets......

and NOW tell me, he is worth more than DCE?

You mightn't like to hear it, but yes he is. Smith doesn't have off days, and almost always comes up with the right play at the right time. You can't say the same for DCE.

Like any contract it's up to the timing to match supply and demand.
Chez's Agent negotiated his deal and Manly accepted it @:cool:

I don't understand why Manly's contract negotiator is deemed to be a lesser light than the Rorters and Scumos.:rolleyes:
It's up to the Club to source the funds to build their roster and they will despite the naysayers in the Media :nerd:

It's a business not a pastime and Chez has set himself, his 3 kids plus partner up for their future :clap:

People always overlook the game time Chez plays for his contract as opposed to those that do not play the full 80 or are injury prone :nod:

You mightn't like to hear it, but yes he is. Smith doesn't have off days, and almost always comes up with the right play at the right time. You can't say the same for DCE.
We'll agree to disagree. I respect your take on it, and tbh, i think Cam Smith is one of the best of all time despite his grub tactics. I don't believe he is worth financially MORE than DCE right now (given he is about to retire.....)

Remind me again how many legal premierships Cam has won in 400 games???

Right - I've had enough.

I am sick to death of seeing comments on here about how DCE should offer to take a pay cut.

Are people being serious here? The captain of QLD, the Australian Half Back, one of our most successful players of all time (and likely most successful captain the way he is doing)

He is literally paid unders these days compared to the stupid money being thrown around for some 10 game wonders in the media. Yet some people on here have the audacity to suggest that HE is the guy who should take a pay cut in order to facilitate the resigning of a journeyman prop and a known 'home trouble maker' (I chose my words carefully there)?

Ask yourself this question - if the best player in the market came onto the market (I don't care who you think is the best...... insert any name really) and Manly want to sign them, that player would sit back and ask themselves ;
Wow, Manly have made a great offer to me. But they tend to bully their best players into taking pay cuts mid way through their contract in order to sign other players'.

Would YOU sign with a club who does that? MID CONTRACT?

What a stupid frikkin idea. When NEW contracts are being negotiated, some people may be willing to look their declining future in the eye and take a lower contract offer in their twilight years. I am cool with that.

But DCE has 4 frikkin years left on his contract people. He is our best player. He is our most successful player. He is fabulous in the media. And he is literally on UNDERS compared to stupid offers to players like K Pongya

I am sure the same people will blame DCE as soon as any player signs elsewhere.

I agree with the essence of the post but who is this "journeyman prop" you are referring to?

Please tell me you aren't calling Taupau, an international front-rower and arguably one of the best if not the best in the game a journeyman prop...........if so your post just lost all credibility

BTW - I am cranky today. So I am sorry in advance if I sound like I am attacking you - that is not my intention. My son saw to it that I had now sleep, and I have Shingles..... so I am taking it out on you all - which is entirely unfair.

Can we still be friends?

Sorry to hear about your troubles .... I, on the other hand, don't need any reason to be a cranky old **** and start a blue ..... being a Silvertail means never having to apologise ....

I agree with the essence of the post but who is this "journeyman prop" you are referring to?

Please tell me you aren't calling Taupau, an international front-rower and arguably one of the best if not the best in the game a journeyman prop...........if so your post just lost all credibility

In order for me to save face.... I will insert the name Joel Thompson, and revise my comment to Second Rower

But in truth.... I was referring to Tongan, Kiwi, Tiger, Bulldog, Sea Eagle Tapau. Journeyman was the wrong word. I apologise. I do believe he will leave us at soon stage (sooner than later) for a good/deserved pay cheque. He isn't going to be a 'career eagle'

Butr i digress. It was a harsh comment/sentiment on him

being a Silvertail means never having to apologise ....

Disclaimer: The opinion expressed above are those of cranky old Woodsie and are not a reflection of the silvertails forum owners nor management. The aforementioned opinion should not be taken as an accepted policy by anyone.

Disclaimer of disclaimer: Wives and women in general are exempt.

edit: Dan suggested mods take a paycut, so I banned him.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6