Storms 2nd half penalty count 23-8

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Fluffy

Journey Man
Are we seriously expected to believe that as they tire they get that much better yet every other team gets that much worse. In 3 games so far they are +15 for second half penalties.

Ratings must be down and we need to grow the game in Melbourne sounds more plausable.

23 penalties in a half?

That's just ridiculous, glad I didn't watch it, the ball must have rarely been in play, which is ironic

I'm assuming that stat is over 3 games and that the storm have received 23 penalties and given away 8?

Ah sheesh was going to say but even still it seems ludicrous there should be such a discrepancy.

I wouldn't mind seeing their interchange usage compared to the opposition as well as who is getting the penalties, I.e. Billy for being held down etc would be interesting to find the pattern

^ I thought that was kinda obvious, tbh!!

I wonder how it compares to other teams?

Did 20 of those come against us in the first round?
Said it before, but the Storm are the best team at influencing refs I've ever seen. Part of that approach is to continually push the boundaries so that the refs just get sick of penalising them. They're also very aware that if you concede penalties early in a game you're more than likely to be rewarded with square ups/"Trent"/sympathy penalties later on - when it usually counts a hell of a lot more.
This is why NRL refs are so terrible - they ref to a perceived "pattern" with the aim of achieving a desired outcome (the so-called "fair" penalty count) instead of refereeing the game on its merits. If it's a penalty, blow it - every time. If it's a penalty in the first minute it's also a penalty in the 80th minute. If you end up with a lopsided penalty count, so be it. Just ref the game as it happens.

It's no different to the roosters being the most penalised team all year last year, but then only conceding 2 penalties in the Grand Final. Referees can match fix to suit the agendas of those running the game.

I too am filfthy at the GF count and the ineptitude on display, however I don't think it was so much bias as the inclination of refs in big games (finals and State of Origins) to penalise very little to let the game flow.
Not so against that except, of course, when it effectively flows 4-1 against us (not counting the penalty try).

What the Storm do is when tackled they thrash about and try to hold down the tackler to milk a penalty.

Why referees looking back over tapes can't see that they are being duped is hard to work out.

From taking a catch near his try line Slater will usually look for a winger to offload to so he doesn't get smashed in a tackle. The few times Slater can't find a winger and is tackled he will not try to get up quickly but instead will thrash about on top of the tackler pretending he can't get up. My guess is he gets rewarded 50% of the time with a penalty.

The knights copped 8 to 2 2nd half penalties last night and went down 15 - 7 overall in the count.

Refs seem to be dominated by the games elite players & the Smith, Thurston type at times appear to have a 2nd whistle.
Add Cronk & Slater to that list & they have extra officials all over the field.
Add Bellamy who puts fear into the refs that he will slobber on them from the coaching box & the officiating circus is complete....

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2