Steve Matai - where is he

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He has become Manly’s mystery man, a former two-time premiership-winning centre turned reclusive introvert on the NSW north coast.
Try as they have to track him down, ex-Sea Eagles teammates say hard-hitting centre Steve Matai has totally disconnected from rugby league, shutting himself off from his footy past.
Now 36, Matai has moved house without telling Manly friends, hasn’t returned calls, didn’t answer the front door and has refused to attend premiership reunions.
There doesn’t appear to be any bad blood behind Matai’s move, no animosity, just a player who has totally dropped out.

Matai is understood to be living in Ballina but no-one at Manly can locate or contact him. Two players recently visited the area and arranged a meeting through a third party but the reunion fell through late.

Manly want it known he is welcome — and dearly wanted — back at the club.

Matai was loved and respected in a gun Manly side which won premierships in 2008 and 2011. Those sides included great mates Kieran Foran, Anthony Watmough, Brent Kite, Jamie Lyon, Brett and Glenn Stewart, Jason King and Matt Ballin.

Organisers invited Matai to the 2008 side’s 10-year reunion in 2018 but he declined. The Golden Eagles – Manly’s old boys group – desperately hope Matai will attend next year’s decade-long anniversary to celebrate the 2011 premiership.

Matai played 230 games for Manly, scoring 91 tries over 12 seasons and played 10 Tests for New Zealand before retiring in 2016.

“Steve is a legend of our club and we would love to get him down for Golden Eagles Day but unfortunately we can’t track him down these days,” said Golden Eagles chairman, Mark Bryant, who played with Matai in the ’08 triumph.

Former Manly official and director, Peter Peters, who collected a rookie Matai from Sydney Airport when he signed in 2005, said: “Several of his premiership-winning teammates have tried to bring him back into the fold without success and have even gone to his town on the north coast where he lives, but to no avail.

“I have no idea why he has chosen to shut his door on his great career and teammates but he will always be welcome at Manly.”

One of league’s most feared players on the field, there are two possible theories about why Matai has disappeared now he is away from the pitch. He had a genuine dislike for the spotlight and was also gutted about an erroneous 2016 media report naming him amid match-fixing allegations. Matai furiously denied the story and it prompted a public apology from the media organisation which published the article.

“He is really reclusive these days, which is really unfortunate. He just upped and left and is out of the limelight now,” said one former teammate. “He obviously doesn’t want to get in touch again. He has pulled back from everything.

“We miss him and would love to talk to him more. It’s disappointing we can’t talk to him anymore because he is a great guy. We will keep trying to track him down. It sad because we all played so many years together but don’t get to talk to him anymore.”

And another Sea Eagles teammate said: “He has cut himself right off. You can’t get hold of him on any phone numbers. I heard he moved but no-one knew.

“You know someone is keeping to themselves when people rock up his house and he doesn’t live there anymore. There is no bad blood and I don’t think it’s personal. He just wanted to be left alone, that’s the way Stevie was.

“I think someone reached out to his family on social media but just got back short answers. It seems he is just happy to put his head down and do his own thing.”

Peters added: “Steve Matai has always been a very private person but a great team member, player and individual.”

Asked did he believe Matai would attend next year’s reunion, one player said: “Probably not. After all this time, he probably won’t come and pretend nothing has happened. All you can do is send him an invitation.”

One of my favorite players of all time for us, and someone I would have loved at the club employed to support Polynesian pathways, especially with the number of juniors involved from that background.

All class. Never in trouble. Unassuming. Just quality, energy and effort in everything he did. Bled for the maroon and white.

Come back to us Steve ! We could use your character at our fine club !

He has become Manly’s mystery man, a former two-time premiership-winning centre turned reclusive introvert on the NSW north coast.
Try as they have to track him down, ex-Sea Eagles teammates say hard-hitting centre Steve Matai has totally disconnected from rugby league, shutting himself off from his footy past.
Now 36, Matai has moved house without telling Manly friends, hasn’t returned calls, didn’t answer the front door and has refused to attend premiership reunions.
There doesn’t appear to be any bad blood behind Matai’s move, no animosity, just a player who has totally dropped out.

Matai is understood to be living in Ballina but no-one at Manly can locate or contact him. Two players recently visited the area and arranged a meeting through a third party but the reunion fell through late.

Manly want it known he is welcome — and dearly wanted — back at the club.

Matai was loved and respected in a gun Manly side which won premierships in 2008 and 2011. Those sides included great mates Kieran Foran, Anthony Watmough, Brent Kite, Jamie Lyon, Brett and Glenn Stewart, Jason King and Matt Ballin.

Organisers invited Matai to the 2008 side’s 10-year reunion in 2018 but he declined. The Golden Eagles – Manly’s old boys group – desperately hope Matai will attend next year’s decade-long anniversary to celebrate the 2011 premiership.

Matai played 230 games for Manly, scoring 91 tries over 12 seasons and played 10 Tests for New Zealand before retiring in 2016.

“Steve is a legend of our club and we would love to get him down for Golden Eagles Day but unfortunately we can’t track him down these days,” said Golden Eagles chairman, Mark Bryant, who played with Matai in the ’08 triumph.

Former Manly official and director, Peter Peters, who collected a rookie Matai from Sydney Airport when he signed in 2005, said: “Several of his premiership-winning teammates have tried to bring him back into the fold without success and have even gone to his town on the north coast where he lives, but to no avail.

“I have no idea why he has chosen to shut his door on his great career and teammates but he will always be welcome at Manly.”

One of league’s most feared players on the field, there are two possible theories about why Matai has disappeared now he is away from the pitch. He had a genuine dislike for the spotlight and was also gutted about an erroneous 2016 media report naming him amid match-fixing allegations. Matai furiously denied the story and it prompted a public apology from the media organisation which published the article.

“He is really reclusive these days, which is really unfortunate. He just upped and left and is out of the limelight now,” said one former teammate. “He obviously doesn’t want to get in touch again. He has pulled back from everything.

“We miss him and would love to talk to him more. It’s disappointing we can’t talk to him anymore because he is a great guy. We will keep trying to track him down. It sad because we all played so many years together but don’t get to talk to him anymore.”

And another Sea Eagles teammate said: “He has cut himself right off. You can’t get hold of him on any phone numbers. I heard he moved but no-one knew.

“You know someone is keeping to themselves when people rock up his house and he doesn’t live there anymore. There is no bad blood and I don’t think it’s personal. He just wanted to be left alone, that’s the way Stevie was.

“I think someone reached out to his family on social media but just got back short answers. It seems he is just happy to put his head down and do his own thing.”

Peters added: “Steve Matai has always been a very private person but a great team member, player and individual.”

Asked did he believe Matai would attend next year’s reunion, one player said: “Probably not. After all this time, he probably won’t come and pretend nothing has happened. All you can do is send him an invitation.”
Thats so ****ing sad... he was one of my all time favourite players. The last true hitman of the game! Please come back Matai we still love you.

Ps imagine he is a poster on Silvertails. Hmmm if you are Stevey boy come back and teach these young punks how to defend with there shoulders!

Pps. Very sad he isnt in contact with the boys. Very odd

I know he went through some mental issues and has not just cut off the league world but has cut himself off completely. The story I heard was he had/has a substance abuse. I was told this nearly a year ago and this story has made me think there may be some truth in it. I wish him well cos he is one of our greats!!!

I know he went through some mental issues and has not just cut off the league world but has cut himself off completely. The story I heard was he had/has a substance abuse. I was told this nearly a year ago and this story has made me think there may be some truth in it. I wish him well cos he is one of our greats!!!
I heard the man liked his ganja. Hope he is ok and happy

Unashamedly my Manly bromance. Loved everything this guy brought to the field.

I just hope he is doing ok, but also would love to see him come back and accept a well deserved life membership at some point when he feels it is right for him.

He did enough talking on the field, with his actions. If he is happy doing his own thing then I'm all for it.

If he is having issues I hope he has the strength to get through it. I'm 100% sure there would be a lot of people he could reach out to like his old centre partner.

I asked Snake last year what was going on and he said he and Glenn had reached out a number of times to no avail...very sad.

He was my other fav along with the Stewarts.

The best thing about having him in a Manly jumper was how hated he was by opposition fans. Then he would run out of the line, belt someone and all the opposition fans would get irate. I loved it.

I'm surprised no one has suggested a prescription drug addiction - I know nothing btw.
His body was completely smashed by the game and you usually hear people with such issues start with something like back pain - and his pain has to be off the charts compared to the rest of us. Hope I'm wrong.

Understandably it's Steve's decision who he interacts with or associates himself with, but it saddens me that such a great player, team mate, clubman and person who was respected by so many doesn't want any contact with mates he played alongside through great victories and hard losses. I wish every success and good health for him and his family wherever he is.
Shoulders, Hitman, you'll always be a Manly legend and a favourite no matter where you are!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4