Starting Well is key to success

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
Our two good wins this year came on the back of possession and the penalty count in our favor. Our game is built on the back of a strong running game from the forwards up the middle 3rd and getting off loads away. When we do that, we can blow teams off the park!

Unfortunately our biggest strength is also our biggest weakness, when we get no ball, concede penalties and field possession. our defence in the middle third really looks vulnerable.
Our forwards get tired and we leak points. We start dropping the ball, put away the off loads and fizzle out.

We have been playing poorly, but the 10-1 penalty count in the first 30 mins over the past 2 weeks is B.S!! Barrett says we need to be more resilient - but if you have 28% of the ball and all you are doing is tackling - we get tired as a team, don't play that expansive football for fear of dropped balls and have no energy, especially big forwards like AFB and Marty.

I just want to not see us continually penalized on the 4th and fifth tackle at the start of the match to give us a chance to get into the game.

Parra completion rate was 93% cause in the first half every time they dropped the ball the ref said we were offside and gave them another set. It was get out of jail free card. Used multiple times.

KEY to me is No possession at all in first 20 minutes last two games means we gas AFB and Taupau on tackling in their first spell and then thereafter we have zero go forward. If we get early possession its the opposite effect, those 2 steamroll opposition and go from there.

It's a simple fix to me - that period with Marty and AFB we must have 50/50 possession or they are just wasted....and Perrett is just a downhill skier who looks Ok when we are on the front foot, but ordinary otherwise. In fact we have a few like that.

Manly have been on the back end of a couple of heavy penalty countrs especially early on and a serious lack of possession. That may all be part of poor discipline, but I think there is also a need for DCE, respectfully, to challenge some decisions refs make, to ensure they are being monitored. My understanding of the off side penalty when they were almost 15 metres back is just not acceptable, and suggestive of refs who just want to give penalties to stamp their authority on the field. Not good enough. They are there to get it right. Manly needs to complain when such poor decision making is occurring. But that doesnt excuse Manly for handing possession over consistently as they have done in recent weeks. Get them back to basics Barrett.

Agree with much of what has been said in this thread and especially that bad starts have crucified our chances. It’s concerning that after the first 10 minutes in most of our losses the game has been over. Think Souths, Tigers and Eels yesterday. The reverse in the games we’ve won. Is this a wider issue for the NRL or only us?

I reckon we came close to committing almost every error or infringement in the rule book yesterday. Do injuries and the need to use reserve graders lead to this? Highly plausible and apologies for the rhetoric. However what concerns me most is that some of our seasoned professionals have become just as much as a liability. We have too many players that make us faithful hold our collective breath everytime they run the ball. Marty, B. Kelly (even though his footwork in traffic reminds me of snoz), Lane, Turbo and even Jake who appears to have been abducted by aliens.

A team that is down on troops needs to be disciplined. When a winger is on your bench to prop up the 17 we won’t be much competition for the better sides. Which leads me to the quality of the opposition we’ve lost to and beat for that matter. Titans, Eels, Knights, Rabbits (in form) are hardly teams that will feature in September.

Sadly and feel free to shoot me down but us fans can sometimes romanticise and exaggerate the talent of our reserves or youngsters.

Not sure why Barrett would stick with the majority of these guys (risk the way he supports his family) if he had much better stored in a cupboard. Hastings has potential but he’s not a young Brad Fittler. I’d play him over Croker for the possibility of something good happening but won’t be expecting miracles. Not immediately anyway.

To the team, give yourselves and your fans a chance by competing for the first 10... after that anything can happen.

Young players develop with experience. Holding them back in reserves teaches bad habits. They have to know what its like in the top grade. Barrett needs to get some of the young players in there, even if for a couple of matches just to see how they fare. We wont know how good they could become unless they are given the opportunity. The Stewarts were not champion players when they were brought into first grade. Brett was fast, but little more and Glen was thought to be just the brother brought up to get Brett into the side. Both exceeded expectations, but they would not have known that at first. Getting them into first grade is a challenge for young players on the rise. But within a year they'll repay you in wins.

Parra completion rate was 93% cause in the first half every time they dropped the ball the ref said we were offside and gave them another set. It was get out of jail free card. Used multiple times.

KEY to me is No possession at all in first 20 minutes last two games means we gas AFB and Taupau on tackling in their first spell and then thereafter we have zero go forward. If we get early possession its the opposite effect, those 2 steamroll opposition and go from there.

It's a simple fix to me - that period with Marty and AFB we must have 50/50 possession or they are just wasted....and Perrett is just a downhill skier who looks Ok when we are on the front foot, but ordinary otherwise. In fact we have a few like that.

Very true.

Personally I would put Lane and Tapau as starting props and bring AFB on after 25 minutes. Lane has been good lately and he is a big lad.

Was watching the game with three Parra fans on Sunday. Manly kicked off and I told them that Manly would be penalised for being offside on the 5th tackle.

Of course it came to pass they asked me how I knew that would happen.

My answer was that it happens every week.

I also called about three errors/penalties in that game... Hope the boys find their mojo soon, the completion average was 88% by round 3. We got it in us...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6