Squads for West Indies Tour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
Australia Squads

Test: Ricky Ponting (captain), Michael Clarke (vice-captain), Beau Casson, Stuart Clark, Brad Haddin, Matthew Hayden, Ben Hilfenhaus, Michael Hussey, Phil Jaques, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Stuart MacGill, Ashley Noffke, Andrew Symonds.

One-Day: Ricky Ponting (captain), Michael Clarke (vice-captain), Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark, Brad Haddin, Matthew Hayden, James Hopes, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Shaun Marsh, Andrew Symonds, Cameron White.

Justice has been done: Katich is in the test squad. 

Not bad for someone who is not in the top 30 contracted players.

Beau Casson ahead of Bryce McGain is an interesting one too. 

Casson is in there for the experience, there arent many good young spinners around and they will hope he comes on well.

McGains age worked against him.

No Victorians in the Test squad, haha.

McGain is too old, he was the best but the standard was pretty low among spinners this season, Casson came good at the end of the season and deserves his free holiday.

im glad nofke and hilfenhouse are on the tour, we need to be giving some experience to the younger players that could be greats

I am surprised that David Hussey is not in the test squad though. Katich deserved his spot and has done okay at test level in the past.

Younger players???

Noffke is in his 30s.

thats not to say he doesn't deserve a spot, he does but he is hardly a youngun.

Beat me to it Fro.

Hilfenhaus is the future of the aussie team IMO. He reminds me of damien fleming but I reckon he'll be better. We need a good swing Bowler and Hilf has pace too.

Greaves from Tasmania is knocking on the door too.

Glad David Hussey is in there... he is a freak. I to am surprised he's not in the test squad. I'm not sold on Katich either Clon. Outstanding season but needs show some pills to take it to the next level, mind you the Windies aren't too crash hot these days. They do have a couple of good one bowlers though and Chanderpaul is still scoring plenty of runs.

Should be an ok tour.

I'm looking forward to seeing this IPL. I'll be supporting Kolkata

Katich - Ave 36 SR 49

Clarke 46 at 56
Ponting 58 at 58
Hayden 53 at 60
Hussey 78 at 52
Jaques 50 at 55
Symonds 41 at 66

Katich's stats suggest he doesnt go ok at test level CW. He is the only batsmen in our current squad who strikes at under 50 with and average well under 40

I would want to argue that it takes a while to get established at test level. Experience and time is often vital. Quite a few players have done much better on their 'second coming'. It has been good for many players that the team has been strong allowing them to find their feet and place.

Katich deserved his spot on his shield form in my view. The batting order looks a bit brittle and to have a slow, steady player may add stability.

Takes a while? Symonds and Jaques dont seem to have any problem and i'm sure D Hussey would step up immediately also.

Katich might go ok in the West Indies, but he wont be in the team for long.

clontaago link said:
Takes a while? Symonds and Jaques dont seem to have any problem and i'm sure D Hussey would step up immediately also.

Up until the Indian series Symonds was averaging less than 30. Jacques started well but has come down to earth a bit.

It is all for Katich to do but he was so consistent in the Shield that he deserves a chance in the Windies. You could be right about his longetivity - time will tell.

Katich won't be in the side anyways-the top six will surely be able to hold their places against the windies pie chuckers. 

If we compare the averages at earlier times in the others careers
its a bit different - 23 games and at 1000 test runs

Katich - 36, 44

Clarke - 36.84, 40
Ponting - 38.14, 39
Hayden - 42.13, 40
Hussey - 78.14, 76 (at 22 games)
Jaques has not got close to either yet
Symonds - 41.24, 42 (at 19 games)

So outside of Hussey who is superb Katich is on par with the rest.

Now we need to get blokes like pomersbach and hughes there for the batting to go wiith hilf and grieves etc

Hughes has played less than 1 season of Shield cricket Fluff, he is 19 yrs old.

Pomersbach has discipline issues but is dynamic when he is on his game.

Dont know who Grieves is so won't comment.

Shaun Marsh will be the next young thing it crack it. and hughes in a few years time will be a good chance, but not just yet.

Hilfenhaus needs to get his body sorted out but when fit is good enough.

Dammit, I logged on for the first time today looking forward to commenting on how much Katich is struggling this tour but you beat me to it :)

7 into 6 doesnt fit so it will be very interesting to see who makes way for Hayden.

clontaago link said:

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6