Squad List for Manly v Sharks trial

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Squad List for Manly v Sharks trial announced
Manly Sea Eagles

Tuesday, 9 February 2010
The trial will be played in four 20 minute quarters.
Trent Hodkinson will play halfback in the first two quarters and Kieran Foran in the final two quarters.
Giant utility player Tony Williams will be trialled as a centre after a strong off season.
Exciting young new centre or wing Dean Whare will make his debut in Manly colours after joining the club from St.George Illawarra.
Below is the full team list for the game:
Chris Bailey
Matt Ballin
Jamie Buhrer
Michael Chapman
Daly Cherry-Evans
Matt Cross
Kieran Foran
Joe Galuvao
Trent Hodkinson
William Hopoate
Jason King
Brent Kite
Kyle Lodge
Darcy Lussick
Jamie Lyon
Vic Mauro
Phil Morwood
Michael Oldfield
Junior Palau
Josh Perry
Michael Robertson
Shane Rodney
Terrence Seu Seu
Brett Stewart
Glenn Stewart
Dean Whare
David Williams
Tony Williams

http://www.mwse.com.au/default.aspx?...rial-announced

Sharks - 1. Nathan Stapleton 2. Luke Covell 3. Ben Pomeroy 4. Dean Collis 5. Isaac Gordon 6. Trent Barrett 7. John Morris 8. Kade Snowden 9. Stuart Flanagan 10. Luke Douglas 11. Reece Williams 12. Grant Millington 13. Jayson Bukuya
Interchange: Nathan Gardner, Albert Kelly, Matthew Wright, Stewart Mills, Josh Cordoba, Lancen Juodo, Siosaia Vave, Adam Cuthbertson, Broderick Wright
LINK
http://www.sharks.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=22405&sharks-side-named-for-trial-match

probably. Hey Ryan you better give us a yart on the squad, Des is havin problems pickin it with no Choc or George

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2010/01/26/mums-the-word-for-eagles-flyer/

Mum's the word for Eagles flyer

Steve Zemek | 26th January 2010

FOR most aspiring NRL players, a chance to play with Manly would rate among the biggest carrots-on-a-stick.

Michael Chapman is keen for start with Manly.

FOR most aspiring NRL players, a chance to play with Manly would rate among the biggest carrots-on-a-stick.

However, for Sunshine Coast flyer Michael Chapman, his upcoming chance to pull on the Sea Eagles jersey is just a chance to be closer to his cancer-stricken mother.

The Queensland Cup premiership-winning winger is one of two Sunshine Coast players, along with recruit Kyle Lodge, who will trial with Manly in pre-season matches against Cronulla and Souths next month.

He called the opportunity a dream come true, yet most importantly it has given him a chance to be near his Sydney-based mother Robyn, who has been battling cancer for the past six months.

The 26-year-old has spent a majority of the pre-season training with Manly and said the prospect of earning a full-time contract with the 2008 NRL premiers was high on his priority list.

However, in the scheme of things, it would be little more than an excuse for him to return to New South Wales to be near his ill mother.

“She got sick about three quarters of the way through the season and the club was good and gave me some time off to come down and look after her,” he told the Daily from his mother’s home in Ryde yesterday.

“It’s been hard, it knocks you around.

“All the radiation treatment, it’s hard.

“To get the opportunity with Manly is massive ... I’d like to stay down here, that’s the idea.

“I’ve wanted a start (with Manly) and now I need to bust my arse to make it happen.”

For Chapman, the chance to trial with Manly is a product of his good form in the latter half of last year’s Queensland Cup season.

After four years in the Canberra Raiders’ lower grades, Chapman defected to play rugby union in Sydney with West Harbour before signing with the Sunshine Coast last year.

He described the call-up as gratifying and testament to the Sea Eagles’ historic 2009 season.

“A year or two ago I was on top of the scrapheap and Costo (coach Brandon Costin) gave me another chance,” he said.

“So this is something I’ve been wanting for a long time.”

Sunshine Coast FOGS Colts players Joseph Hawkins and twin brothers Callum and Rowan Klien will also trial with Manly in the junior grades against Souths on February 7.

Sunshine Coast back Ryan Walker has also spent the past few months training at fullback with the Penrith NRL squad.

Queensland Cup Colts player of the year Dale Middleton has also linked with the Panthers.

Costin said the club was becoming known as a breeding ground for young talent.

“We are gaining a real reputation that if you are prepared to come here with a good attitude, we can give you every chance to succeed,” he said.

“At the end of the day, I think there are two to three guys that have wonderful opportunities this year, due to their work ethic and our club’s hard work.”

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
Sharks - 1. Nathan Stapleton 2. Luke Covell 3. Ben Pomeroy 4. Dean Collis 5. Isaac Gordon 6. Trent Barrett 7. John Morris 8. Kade Snowden 9. Stuart Flanagan 10. Luke Douglas 11. Reece Williams 12. Grant Millington 13. Jayson Bukuya
Interchange: Nathan Gardner, Albert Kelly, Matthew Wright, Stewart Mills, Josh Cordoba, Lancen Juodo, Siosaia Vave, Adam Cuthbertson, Broderick Wright
LINK
http://www.sharks.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=22405&sharks-side-named-for-trial-match

Nice work Cuthbo, looking good for a starting gig so far!

Battle of two halves

* sport
          o Rugby League

09 Feb 10 @ 05:18pm by JASON AVEDISSIAN
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/battle-of-two-halves/

MANLY coach Des Hasler on Tuesday announced both Kieran Foran and Trent Hodkinson will receive a half each to prove themselves against Cronulla at Toyota Park.

The Manly Daily understands Foran could have the inside running for the season opener against the Wests Tigers at the Sydney Football Stadium on March 15.

There is also a common belief among the Sea Eagles that Hodkinson will eventually become Manly’s long-term half, with Foran’s versatility giving coach Hasler plenty of options with the New Zealand Test back.

Hasler named an extended squad of 28, with only Anthony Watmough and George Rose unavailable. Giant utility Tony Williams will also trial in the centres after a sound off-season.

Speedy young back Dean Whare will make his debut for the maroon and whites, joining the club from the Dragons.

But the most intriguing selection headache for Hasler is settling on a replacement for the departed Matt Orford.

The coach said the clash with the Sharks will not settle that debate, but the trial will give both youngsters the chance to impress.

“I’m very happy with where they are at,” Hasler said on Tuesday.

“We’ve seen enough of how they are going at training, we are just trying to work on contact and parts of their game, putting into practise what we’ve trained.

“This game is just to get everyone out there and get some contact in and give everyone a chance. I think the No. 7 has a lot of responsibility, no matter who plays there.”

Hasler said both Foran and Hodkinson are ready to pitch their cases having spent the pre-season working with the likes of Matt Orford and Andrew Johns.

“They have had good support I know with ‘Ox’ working a lot with them before he left,” Hasler said.

“They have also had support from people like ‘Joey’ Johns and the senior group.”

Young Will Hopoate is also within the squad of 28, getting his first chance in NRL company.

so that basically rules out what we knew anyway..

He wont play them together. Id really like to see them together with our strongest backline to see what they can come up with. Moving Lyon there and it looks like T Rex to centre.. weakens our team. We do seem to have a bit of depth though

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=182410.msg251342#msg251342 date=1265696802]
Would that be the sharks 1st 17??

Ferguson, Porter and Gallen would normally be around I think
[/quote]
John Morris at halfback looks a bit sad. Although having said that, I met an Eel fan last night who was quite pleased with the 'swap' of T Williams for Robson...

T Williams at centre ?? I might be misguided, but I can't see him making a fist of that on last years form. I think any opposition player with a bit of speed and footwork would leave him clutching at thin air.

Exciting that now the real stuff is about to happen.  I'll be there with my notebook.... (that was a joke everybody)

moleskine_boheme.jpg

MY team would be:-

01. William Hopoate (in case Brett goes bye-bye)
02. Michael Robertson (to get used to the wing again)
03. Dean Whare (to see if he's up to it)
04. Keiran Foran (if contract still unsigned)
05. David Williams (to get that youthful innocence back)
06. Jamie Lyon (test as captain)
07. Trent Hodkinson (if Keiran's contract isn't signed)
08. Matt Cross (ask him to SHOW what other prop should go for him)
09. Terrence Seu Seu (Prove yourself lad)
10. Vic Mauro (prove you will be the 1st QLD cup player 2 play)
11. Junior Palau (NOW is your time, boy)
12. Joe Galuvau (will he dominate ALA Parra, or will he coast ALA Souths)
13. Darcy Lussick (Enjoy the experience kid)

14. Chris Bailey (Prove your better than 2009 ((which should be easy))
15. Phil Moorwood (Battle it out with Vic Mauro for the injury replacement player)
16. ANOTHER fringe prop player
17. Tony Williams (full uninjured off season? Show us

No Matai or Farrah so we might see lyon at centre at some stage with hoddo and foran in the halves.

Also good to see Matt Cross named as i thought he was expected to be out for the first few rounds

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2