South Sydney CEO calls for suburban footy to be axed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
SOUTH Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson has called for all Sydney clubs to abandon their traditional home grounds for the city's two major stadiums.Rather than see games continue at favourites like Leichhardt Oval, Brookvale, Parramatta Stadium, Centrebet Stadium, WIN Jubilee and Toyota Stadium, Richardson said it would be financially viable to play all games at ANZ and Allianz Stadiums.The AFL has the same system in which Melbourne teams play out of the MCG and Etihad Stadium.

Read the full article

Here we go again...no mention of the fact that the MCG and Etihad are in the centre of Melbourne, are both adjacent to railway stations (one stop either side of Flinders Street) and both are on tram stops.

The same can't be said for our major stadiums.

Screw going to the sfs for games it's a nightmare getting there, homebush is easy for me but it has zero atmosphere.

Redfern is walking distance to the SFS - so its easy for him to rationalise the move.

The design of Olympic Park is not conducive to RL. The Fans are way away from the action.
Those grounds cater for AFL and Soccer - both of which are open running games.
League and Union have clusters of activity during the game, and can not be seen clearly from the new Stadium designs.

So he wants to give up on grounds that he think are not up to NRL standard. In the process maybe we could get rid of clubs that aren't up to NRL standard as well. Bye lol@souths.

Is it not because Crowe throws stupid money at them Darren? The reason Souffs play out of the SFS and Homebush is because they don't have a suburban ground since the Sydney Council redeveloped Redfern as a park. That cost the ratepayers 20 Million. Play the games at the two stadiums mentioned and the game dies as a real people supported game, it's that simple. Then those areas that matter (Western Sydney) will just fold into AFL and Soccer areas. The future Darren? The next step to Richardson's plan is to play the game at those two grounds and install a 'virtual crowd'. TV would love that. Full houses every game.

I have been on about this for 5 years.

It's logical so get on with it because it's going to happen.

Would be fine if the state/federal governments built a world class stadium at Terry Hills or st ives show ground to give the people of the north shore some value for their tax dollars, instead of throwing it all into the western suburbs.

As much as I dont like it he has a point. We cannot continue to play at Brookie for much longer. We either need to move or get the ground upgraded substantially. Why should either government throw millions of dollars at Brookie? Especially given the state of the economy and when there are 2 pretty good alternatives in Sydney already. Like I said, I do not like the idea of moving but it will happen.

The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

So, if we ended up moving, what makes people think we would be better off? Could certain Sydney clubs survive such a move?

Good point Dowdz - has anyone done a cost benefit analysis of moving all clubs out of their suburban strongholds to the bigger stadiums? Has Richo?

And what potential impact would playing (for most clubs) in a largely empty stadium*, have on their respective bottom line, when they are out marketing themselves for more sponsorship money? Or for the NRL, at TV rights time?

*And yes, I have considered that ANZ/Allianz have superior corporate facilities etc.

Let's take this one step further, Shane.
We play 'virtual rugby league' at a ground with no people just sound effects to try to con those watching on TV that there is some atmosphere.
It's all about TV, isn't it? It doesn't matter what the crowd numbers are, just as long as it is on TV and people have paid for a subscription to Foxtel.

We are losing our great spectator sport. RIP.

The reason it works in the AFL is because 90% of the Melbourne clubs are a stones throw from the CBD - it's like going from Strathfield to the city for most of them and they've just got to jump on a tram.
Both the G and Ethihad are IN the CBD.
Here, just to get from ANZ to the SFS is a couple of trains/bus/walk.
Homebush is sterile with pretty much a Maccas and a pub.
The SFS is a s**tfight at the best of times and isn't the best of areas to going wandering with your family at night.
Give me the hill at Brookie & Leichhardt anyday.
Maybe Richo's just jealous because there's no grass in redfern.

Darren said:
terrible idea thinking about the future. Let's stay at the same ground and keep losing revenue. Wonder why Souths are doing so well financially?

I would take Manly's finances and success rate over souths finances and success rate any day of the week.

bones said:
Darren said:
terrible idea thinking about the future. Let's stay at the same ground and keep losing revenue. Wonder why Souths are doing so well financially?

I would take Manly's finances and success rate over souths finances and success rate any day of the week.

Round 1 Crowds:
ANZ - SOU V SYD - 18,278 - 22% Full
Leichhardt - WST V CRO - 19,762 - 90% Full

Souths & Chooks have nearly 30,000 members btw

The main reason why not to do this is the differences between Sydneys and Melbournes public transport system.

My Aunt lives on the outskirts of Melbourne, but from her place you can get to the MCG or Etihad Stadium in 45 mins via Public Transport.

As a Manly fan living in Dee Why, it would take over double that time to get to Homebush, and longer for our fans who live further north.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4