Sonny Bill To Quit Rugby League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ants

Reserve Grader
NZPA - May 23, 2008, 1:17 pm
NZPA ©

The manager of Bulldogs player Sonny Bill Williams says the Kiwis forward could walk out on rugby league within two weeks.

Williams' manager Khoder Nasser said that his client had achieved everything he wanted in league, the Daily Telegraph reported in Sydney .

Nasser added that Williams would consider switching codes and signing with the NZRU - and that he was likely to make a decision on his future by mid-June.

"He has made a statement and if an (NZRU) offer was to come, he would definitely consider it," Nasser said.

"He was basically saying he has achieved what is there to be achieved in league.

The comments were greeted with surprise by NZRU chief executive Steve Tew, who said he would be happy to talk to Williams - or his management team - but only if they were serious.

"We are not interested in being part of a contract negotiation," Tew said.

The Kiwi second-rower is in the first year of a five-season $A2 million ($NZ2.4 million) contract with the Bulldogs but admitted he wasn't happy and was weighing up his future.

Nasser said he will talk with Williams next week.

"These things are all going to come to a head soon," he said. "We will have to work out what will happen, we are going to have to meet up with the club (the Bulldogs) in the next two to three weeks."

Former Australia coach Eddie Jones said Williams could earn up to $800,000 a year if he headed to Europe.

But the Bulldogs have warned they would consider legal action if Williams attempted to break his contract with the club.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Haha, can you imagine if he left in two weeks!!!  All hell would break loose!!  My heart bleeds for the doggies....... suckers!

If I was the NZRU I'd say "quit the Dogs and then come and see us", otherwise you know it's just BS from his manager.

I have to laugh at how he has achieved everything in league already...obviously sets a low bar.

What an absolute load of garbage

Firstly, in 2 weeks, there is absolutely no rugby other than club for him to play over here, secondly, didn't the media break the story 3-4 days ago he was a certainty to be heading to France.

He should belt the **** out of this Nasser clown. When you hear the guy speak he is reasonably humble every time, Certainly doesn't come across as a bloke he would make some of those statements

Couldn't happen to a better club.

How much money does an All Black make?

Would be a massive blow to NZRL if he left, which isn't a good thing at all.

All Blacks don't make massive amounts over here, probably more on average than the top NRL guys i guess though

NZ rugby is in the same position, losing all the top players overseas these days to HUGE money.

Situation has gone that far that the NZRU are offering a 6 month "sabbatical" where a player can head away for a season and still be available for the All Blacks. Has come about coz a french outfit is offering 1.9mil a season for Carter

Let him go if he wants to go. When he's not injured he is a great player, when isn't he injured though?

Oh well...Another key in Manly becoming the major power again as we should have always been. Good riddance retread. Lets hope you give Union all the positive press you did for the NRL. A good athlete, with the brains of a Buffalo.It just makes the Bulldogs - the team that invested in your future, all the easier to beat. Thank you.

Thank god Beaver never shared his attitude...and he'll be better for that fact after his game is finished.....Sea Eagles Loans or whatever it's called....we look after our own.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
All Blacks don't make massive amounts over here, probably more on average than the top NRL guys i guess though

NZ rugby is in the same position, losing all the top players overseas these days to HUGE money.

Situation has gone that far that the NZRU are offering a 6 month \"sabbatical\" where a player can head away for a season and still be available for the All Blacks. Has come about coz a french outfit is offering 1.9mil a season for Carter

Can't blame anyone for taking that sort of money if it's on offer.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4