Some old stuff

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
4734213D-DC3A-4514-8F62-CF943ECA22EF.jpeg
Had a bit of spare time to today so was looking through some old Stuff- this is From 1973 GF program - check out our reserve grade team on the day! Our salary cap would have been Roosters like in those days!

Last edited:
View attachment 10553 Had a bit of spare time to today so was looking through some old Stuff- this is From 1973 GF program - check out our reserve grade team on the day! Our salary cap would have been Roosters like in those days!
Wasn "t just the calibre of the run on Manly reserve grade side then but it"s bench as well . Bob Moses and John Payne were previously regular i st grade players at other Sydney clubs and a couple of the other reserves future i st grade players there as well . Just the way of course that the cycle was then and good luck for Manly to be in that position to have some really good strength and depth in their playing ranks and at that particular time . Dragons had that opportunity for 11 years prior , then South Sydney so again why not Manly of course also if the opportunity was there . Dragons reserves had some high profile [ or future ] players as well and that must have been Brian Smith [ future ist grade coach and commentator ] as their half back that day .

It was a good reserve grade ..... but not a great one .... while several went on to play FG only Thompson and Krilich were what you would call really big names ... .....

We won reserve grade gf too. I can’t find the score though. I did find an article that said bucknall had a full lunch and “soft drink” after the reserve grade game, then unexpectedly had to come in and replace Reilly.

Rumour has it that the nrl has retrospectively awarded the club championship to Parramatta for 1973, by weighting other grades higher.

We won reserve grade gf too. I can’t find the score though. I did find an article that said bucknall had a full lunch and “soft drink” after the reserve grade game, then unexpectedly had to come in and replace Reilly.

Rumour has it that the nrl has retrospectively awarded the club championship to Parramatta for 1973, by weighting other grades higher.
Manly 22
Rod Jackson 2tries, Terry Hill 1 try, Bill Clare 2 tries, Graham Williams 1/1 goal, John Barber 2/5 goals, Alan Thompson 1 field goal
St George 14
Steve Edge try, Paul Mills try, Jeff Bell 1/1 goal, M Hutchinson 3/5 goals.

Would love to see this game again. I recall Rod Jackson clocking up a lot of metres and I am sure one of his tries was a long distance one.

Both teams had international halves, (Branson was an international in 1971) and both teams had (to become) international hookers.

Dragons reserves had some high profile [ or future ] players as well and that must have been Brian Smith [ future ist grade coach and commentator ] as their half back that day .
They also had Geoff Carr playing centre that day, who went on to later serve as CEO of the ARL and the NSWRL.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6