Soccer's long snout

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
Article in todays Telegraph, page 97, talks about the $45 million that soccer is pulling out of the Federal Government to fund its  bid for the 2018 World Cup bid.  The article goes on to talk about the need for 12 stadiums around the place naming Telstra, SFS, Suncorp etc.  Didn't see Brookvale mentioned.  Maybe the club could ride the coat-tails of this 'preferred game' to fund more upgrading of the hallowed ground.  Then again, on page 103 there's another article that mentions the four A-League soccer games played last weekend failed to collectively draw 10 thousand fans.  Crowds dropping faster than Lowy's share price.         

Lowy is a smart business man - he is getting out before he looses too much more money. 

If they expand too quick (like most start business do) they will be back playing to where they were  5 years ie Sydney Olympic Vs Sydney Croatia

can you imagine a world cup soccer game at brookvale??

and DSM comparing the world cup to the A League would be like comparing a gecko with a saltwater crocodile.

or a foot race between Brett Stewart and George Rose......the day after he broke his leg :)

Fro, I can imagine a World Cup soccer game at Brookie with large and new grandstands, new toilets, food outlets and all the rest money can buy.  My point was that how come a game that attracts minimum crowds gets 45 mill just to bid for something, let alone stage it.  Are they all a bunch of Catholics?     

The world cup of that game attracts a lot more than minimum crowds. it is the biggest team sport in the world and its showpeice event is one of the biggest events in the world, some may say the biggest.

I hate soccer as well but the facts are there.

As for the catholic bit, it is big in Italy :)

The Olympics lost NSW a motza and is partly responsible for the financial position we're in today.  Like all big events, some make money some don't, but the State usually ends up losing most and not making any.  It wouldn't surprise me if the A-League went the way of the NBL.  Down the toilet.

I'm not talking about it making money, I'm talking about it drawing a crowd.

FIFA are like the IOC, just in it to make a spectacle and get out, they dont care what the debt they leave behind, as long as their fatcats on the board get feted for a month or so they don't care.

Fact is that the FIFA World Cup is actually bigger than the Olympics, it generates more revenue and more tourism than anything else, so this is why the government is putting 45 million into the bid.

My main hope is that if we do get it sooner or later is that an upgrade of stadiums across Australia is a requirement for hosting the FIFA world cup. But if the money goes to brookie however still looks unlikely.

DSM5 link said:
Article in todays Telegraph, page 97, talks about the $45 million that soccer is pulling out of the Federal Government to fund its  bid for the 2018 World Cup bid.  The article goes on to talk about the need for 12 stadiums around the place naming Telstra, SFS, Suncorp etc.  Didn't see Brookvale mentioned.  Maybe the club could ride the coat-tails of this 'preferred game' to fund more upgrading of the hallowed ground.  Then again, on page 103 there's another article that mentions the four A-League soccer games played last weekend failed to collectively draw 10 thousand fans.  Crowds dropping faster than Lowy's share price.         
Dsm5 i have to admit i'm a big soccer fan a do attend a lot of sydney fc games but the crowds are down because the standard of the game is very low & as much as i like it believe me nothing matches the atmosphere like at brookie.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=178972.msg204161#msg204161 date=1228867735]
Dsm5 i have to admit i'm a big soccer fan a do attend a lot of sydney fc games but the crowds are down because the standard of the game is very low & as much as i like it believe me nothing matches the atmosphere like at brookie.
[/quote]

Thats the problem with the A League - it is full of has been hacks and players who are not good enough to make it overseas.  Basically it is like the local Manly Warringah A Grade RL competition selling itself as the NRL.

Another point I could make is that Lowy should be funding this thing if it's the money spinner he thinks it is.  He's a rich man, could afford to fund it, and maybe, just maybe would be happy to do it.  No? 

Matabele link said:
Australia will be a much better place without the NBL and the A League. 

I don't agree Mata football is the biggest game in the world while i don't like dribble ball i do like football. I support Adelaide United in A-League and while it's true the competition is not getting the crowds it would like and the standard is not that high as of yet i hope the A-League comp works though it will never be anything like the EPL of course.

At the level it's played in Australia it's rubbish.  The best Australian soccer can offer is to supply the ESL with a dribble of talented youngsters.

eagle_predator link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178972.msg204196#msg204196 date=1228909926]
Australia will be a much better place without the NBL and the A League. 

I don't agree Mata football is the biggest game in the world while i don't like dribble ball i do like football. I support Adelaide United in A-League and while it's true the competition is not getting the crowds it would like and the standard is not that high as of yet i hope the A-League comp works though it will never be anything like the EPL of course.
[/quote]  Fox Sport show the Toyota Cup for folk like you too.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7