Snake's Kick Returns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It seems painfully obvious Snake doesn't want to return the ball into the chase line unless he absolutely has to. Every kick he is looking for an offload to the wingers. Both Wolf and Horhay are doing their level best to get back with him to either field the kick first or position themselves for a pass to take the heat for him.

I read he was in doubt with a hammy tonight, but maybe there is something else he is trying to protect as he doesn't look keen on solid front on contact at the moment.

His defence is still fully committed though, a couple of try savers tonight as usual. So I'm not sure whether I'm reading too much into it.

In my humble opinion, good fullbacks should always look for the option of linking with their wingers in returns.

even with snake at his best i rate bothe wolf nd george as better kick returners and i applaud every time he can send them back into the defence.

Billy "The Ninja" Slater, unarguably the best fullback in the history of any game ever (according to Gus, Sterlo et al) will run 200 meters to link up with a winger: but only if he can't throat kick anyone.

I'm not having a dig, did you actually read the post ? Wondering if he is trying to protect an injury or something.No need to get precious about it.

Chip and Chase said:
I'm not having a dig, did you actually read the post ? Wondering if he is trying to protect an injury or something.No need to get precious about it.

Did i read the post where you were reading too much into it? :p

Chip and Chase said:

He has an ingrown toe nail on his left foot. Third toe I believe.

He's smart. He's the best.
He's been playing within the confines of injury for years.
He's just retained his NSW jersey tonight.
Trex just lost his.

Eagles2nv said:
Why would you run into the line, when you have one of the best line breakers on your left. :)

Go Horhay!!

Too true. You'd have to be crazy to not even consider linking up with Jorge. Kick returns are when he is most likely to break the line.

C@C, Ive been watching him and even if you concentrate on his whole game tonight there is nothing in it other than part & parcel of a total gameplan.

I see no real issue with the way he structures his play either via his coaching or via his athletic ability.

I think he passes it to Jorge alot because he is a crazy meter maker. Actually Taufua is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. Im also sure Snake is just not putting his body at risk, his knees in particular, unless its really needed, in defense he still puts his body on the line.

I think he just takes what he sees as the best option for the team, if that is for him to take it to the line then that is what he does, if he thinks that another player may be in a better position he passes.

I've come to realise Brett is playing very smart. He knows his limitations. Like Andrew Johns advising Kieran to not throw his body into the angry defence all the time to protect the longevity of his game, Brett knows trying to throw his weight into the oncoming line is a low percentage play, and a higher percentage of injury. There is no lack of courage here; this shows when he has to defend. Brett is a ball playing fullback of finese.

On another note, but along the lines of taking on the charging front line of defence. I have noticed Wolfman hitting and pushing through the line with more confidence in the last two games. I can tell when he is not confident - he gets pushed back in tackles and the defenders easily wrap him up and toss him down. But lately he hits the line at speed and is very difficult to control. When he lacks confidence he is tossed around like an under weight rag doll; when he believes he is the wolfman he becomes a potent weapon.

Go manly said:
I reckon he is just getting smarter

That is the main difference this year.
Everyone turns up to work and this way they can delegate the grunt to the fresher Wingers.

Wolfie's head on defence has been a revelation.
His and Jorge's tackle count is increasing each game :angel:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4