Snake up to 137

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyArmy

Bencher
Snake's now up to 137 tries. Surely he's on track to pass Beaver at 180.

On a side note, without those 2 years on the sidelines, he'd be on track to pass Ken Irvine.

I don't think he will catch Beaver. He will get more try assists than tries from here on.
I do agree he would go close to Irvine had he stayed injury free though.

Yeah it might just be beyond him, to catch Beaver now.
What a record for Beaver too, being a forward.

No matter how many tries Snake snaps up from here, surely he'll go close to being our best ever FB?

Wombat's the only other in the same air for mine.

We've already got bragging rights with the top two try scorers in Australian rugby league history. I'd be rapt if Snake beat Slater to third spot.

Moondog said:
We've already got bragging rights with the top two try scorers in Australian rugby league history. I'd be rapt if Snake beat Slater to third spot.

Agree with bragging rights for beaver, but as about 180 of Irvines tries were scored at Norths it would just give the poor buggers something else to whinge about.

What a waste of 180 tries.

RiverEagle said:

No matter how many tries Snake snaps up from here, surely he'll go close to being our best ever FB?

Bob Batty went Ok too.

Alan said:
Moondog said:

Agree with bragging rights for beaver, but as about 180 of Irvines tries were scored at Norths it would just give the poor buggers something else to whinge about.

What a waste of 180 tries.
Imagine the amount he would have scored if he'd played his whole career at Manly.

ManlyArmy said:

Unfortunately that won't happen. As others said if he'd been injury free the past couple of years he would of.
I love the Snake but his best days are past him. He is still the heart and soul of Manly.

The Eagle Has Landed said:
ManlyArmy said:

Unfortunately that won't happen. As others said if he'd been injury free the past couple of years he would of.
I love the Snake but his best days are past him. He is still the heart and soul of Manly.

His best days when it comes to pure speed and durability may be behind him but his ball playing and positional play are the best i have seen them.

It's been good to see him burst into the clear a couple of times lately, especially that bust from Matai's inside pass deep in our own territory (forget which match that was). Seemed to be running very freely.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
It's been good to see him burst into the clear a couple of times lately, especially that bust from Matai's inside pass deep in our own territory (forget which match that was). Seemed to be running very freely.

That was V Cowboys at Gosford

torana355 said:
The Eagle Has Landed said:
ManlyArmy said:

His best days when it comes to pure speed and durability may be behind him but his ball playing and positional play are the best i have seen them.

Agreed

Ralphie said:
RiverEagle said:

Bob Batty went Ok too.

Bit before my time Ralphie.
Wombat and Snake are the best of a good bunch we've had in my history supporting.

And Snake's blistering speed may be behind him, but he still seems pretty damn quick and, as others said, he's adapting his game and setting up just as many tries as he scored.

Very smart footy brains those Stewart boys.

Based on data i've found at http://stats.rleague.com/rl/scorers/overall_tr1.html, I still have Brett Stewart with the 2nd highest club try scoring ratio.

For the very old records around 90 yrs ago, i have estimated on the basis of these guys playing 16 games per year.
For the more modern eras, where unavailable, i have estimated the number of games played as 22 games per year. These stats include finals series matches.
For Bob Fulton i found elsewhere a figure of 213 games for Manly and 3 seasons for Roosters 77-79. So i used the figure of 280 first grade games.

Nathan Blacklock will always win in terms of strike ratio with 85%, and Brett's is certainly falling. His ratio used to be around 80%.
There are some great players in this list and Snake is sure in illustrious company. I note the great stats of Billy Slater, who appears to be still going strong and maybe this year has cleaned up his act a little ?

Of course, no tally is kept for try assists for each year for anything before 2010. Amongst those players in the attached spreadsheet, Snakey would have to right up there also.

Is Snake Manly's best ever fullback? Or does he run a VERY close second to Wombat?

What I love about Snake's attacking play is that while he may not be scoring as many tries these days as he was only a couple of years ago, he is setting up as many, if not more for his team mates than he might have scored himself. He hasn't become one of those players who've not only slowed up his try scoring rate but doesn't create anything for his team mates.

Manly have been blessed with some of the best fullbacks rugby league has ever seen. Ron Willey (who if the reports I've read are true was only kept out of the NSW and Australian teams because he was unlucky enough to play in the same era as Clive Churchill), Bob Batty, Graham Eadie, Dale Shearer (though probably more known as a winger at representative level), Matthew Ridge and Brett Stewart.

HoldenV8 said:
Is Snake Manly's best ever fullback? Or does he run a VERY close second to Wombat?
In the last few weeks i've thought about this everyday HV8. I can now give you the (my) answer:

Before i do this i wish to remind that i have been fortunate to see the entire career of both these legends, and during periods of my life when i have been paying close attention to Rugby League, MWSE in particular. During the 70s i attended every game at Brookvale from 1971, all the semis, all the GFs, etc.

Brett Stewart is MWSE's best ever fullback and has eclipsed Graham Eadie for the following reasons:

1. Brett had for a number of years, amazing speed. But he didn't use this pointlessly, he used it to score and set up an amazing number of match winning tries. Graham Eadie was fast and big, in the same way that GI is fast and big, and scored 71 great tries, notably in Grand Finals. Brett will DOUBLE the number of tries scored by Wombat and then some.
2. Graham Eadie was a fearsome last line of defence, and has the edge in this area over Snake. You JUST DIDNT want to tackled by GE.
You would much rather give up the right to score the try and pass the ball to someone else ! But does that make him a 'more effective' last iine of defence ? No. Snake has stopped HEAPS of tries over the years, just as many as Wombat.

3. Brett Stewart has had to play thru more adversity both personal away from the field and serious injury than GE.
4. Graham Eadie was 'out on his own' for many seasons, in terms of rival fullbacks, and represented Australia many times. Of course there was no SOO in those days, if there had been, GE would have been Blues fb for many series. He has the edge in this area.
5. i am ignoring Wombat's goal kicking which is not necessary for the role of fb. He was a good kicker, and kicked heaps of crucial kicks, but they could have been kicked by someone else. Look GE gets points for this but . . . .
6. Snake's worth 17 points per game when he's on the field. I notice from those stats that he has never participated in a Drawn Game ! MWSE's win ratio is much higher when he is on the field.
7. Snake has had to re-invent himself as a ball playing fb, chiming in rather than as a sprinting runner. His passing game is superb, Wombat just never had to do this, and just didnt have the skills to 'read the game' the way Brett Stewart does.

Anyway i'm sure many will disagree and that's OK. But aren't we lucky we can have these discussions knowing that MWSE will continue to maintain the record of at least one Premiership in every decade of our lives since 1972.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
HoldenV8 said:
In the last few weeks i've thought about this everyday HV8. I can now give you the (my) answer:

Before i do this i wish to remind that i have been fortunate to see the entire career of both these legends, and during periods of my life when i have been paying close attention to Rugby League, MWSE in particular. During the 70s i attended every game at Brookvale from 1971, all the semis, all the GFs, etc.

Brett Stewart is MWSE's best ever fullback and has eclipsed Graham Eadie for the following reasons:

1. Brett had for a number of years, amazing speed. But he didn't use this pointlessly, he used it to score and set up an amazing number of match winning tries. Graham Eadie was fast and big, in the same way that GI is fast and big, and scored 71 great tries, notably in Grand Finals. Brett will DOUBLE the number of tries scored by Wombat and then some.
2. Graham Eadie was a fearsome last line of defence, and has the edge in this area over Snake. You JUST DIDNT want to tackled by GE.
You would much rather give up the right to score the try and pass the ball to someone else ! But does that make him a 'more effective' last iine of defence ? No. Snake has stopped HEAPS of tries over the years, just as many as Wombat.

3. Brett Stewart has had to play thru more adversity both personal away from the field and serious injury than GE.
4. Graham Eadie was 'out on his own' for many seasons, in terms of rival fullbacks, and represented Australia many times. Of course there was no SOO in those days, if there had been, GE would have been Blues fb for many series. He has the edge in this area.
5. i am ignoring Wombat's goal kicking which is not necessary for the role of fb. He was a good kicker, and kicked heaps of crucial kicks, but they could have been kicked by someone else. Look GE gets points for this but . . . .
6. Snake's worth 17 points per game when he's on the field. I notice from those stats that he has never participated in a Drawn Game ! MWSE's win ratio is much higher when he is on the field.
7. Snake has had to re-invent himself as a ball playing fb, chiming in rather than as a sprinting runner. His passing game is superb, Wombat just never had to do this, and just didnt have the skills to 'read the game' the way Brett Stewart does.

Anyway i'm sure many will disagree and that's OK. But aren't we lucky we can have these discussions knowing that MWSE will continue to maintain the record of at least one Premiership in every decade of our lives since 1972.

Love em both but you left out an important stat. Wombat 4 premierships to Snskes 2

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4