Snake now 2nd to Beaver for tries.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
Congratulations to Snake on moving into 2nd place of Manly all time try scorers.

Using http://stats.rleague.com/rl/rl_index.html I put some numbers together.

1. Steve Menzies.
180 tries in 349 games 1993-2008. Rate: 0.51 tries per game.

2. Brett Stewart.
130 tries in 171 games 2003-2013. Rate: 0.76 tries per game.

3. Bob Fulton.
129 tries in 219 games 1966-1976. Rate: 0.58 tries per game.

Up to & including 2008 grand final Snake scored
92 tries in 112 games at rate of 0.82 tries per game.

If he hadn't have copped those knee injuries & kept up that 2004-08 rate, today he would have around 220 games & 180 tries.

Ken Irvine got 212 tries in 236 games for Norths & Manly (for Manly he got 41 tries in 60 games, a rate of 0.68).

In the last two years Snake has got 14 (2011) and 15 tries (2012). Even if he keeps up that rate, he needs to play another 4 or 5 seasons to break Beaver's record.

Irvine's record while at Norths is astonishing, must have been a try per game? It was a different game back then, of course.

Er, shouldn't Beavers average be over 0.5 per game?

Snake certainly has scored them more rapidly than Bozo. As a centre - 5/8, Fulton's record, though is equally impressive. Overall his tries were not as pretty as snake's. Its hard to compare players from different eras. Often to score tries Bozo would 'outwit' the defence.

It seems that earlier in his career, Snake would 'outpace' the defence - This is the essential difference between them.

Norths probably gave Irvine the ball at every chance as they had no one else any good. At Manly there would have been plenty of other great players making breaks & backing up, so Irvine would've got less chances.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Er, shouldn't Beavers average be over 0.5 per game?

Maths wasn't my strong point at school.

If you leave the last two words off the thread title it becomes a statement of chick power. Cheers to the girls on this site.

And to Brett Stewart, I love you. Keep up your Manly awesomeness.

niccipops said:
If you leave the last two words off the thread title it becomes a statement of chick power. Cheers to the girls on this site.

Post of the year so far – and one of the best ever :idea:

SeaEagleRock8 said:
niccipops said:

Post of the year so far – and one of the best ever :idea:

Pffft, it's been that way forever!

I think it was the first full sentence the cavewomen ever said!

SUPER HUGE EDIT:....Congrats to Snake, what a brilliant player he is. It's fantastic to watch him running into the backline. I'm going to rewatch the game again.

Well done Snake. I would love to know how many try assists he has also.

The number of times in since 2009 I've heard that his career is over, and the fact he's come back...and back....each time (possibly dropping a little with his pace, but not much) and shown all how much of a class act he is.

And how many tries has he saved? That effort this week against the Titans where he threw himself at that ball was World Class.

I hope you play 300 games Snake and break the all time record. A true legend.

Congrats to The Snake that was one of the best performances in a long time. He is running the ball with alot more vigour and has found some of his old pace. He had a hand in 95% of our tries great to see him back in form. With The Snake playing like that we can win The Premiership.

Great effort yesterday. I was worried earlier in the year that he wasn't prepared to run the ball back into traffic on kick returns and was dishing off to wingers. But he has proven me wrong and is hitting it up with vigour now. Some nice touches yesterday and good to see him crossing the stripe himself.

Had the privilege to be at Brookiie yesterday. Haven't been there in years & Snake's performance was just a master class. There is no way Slater can match that brilliance. Snake is the prince of fullbacks and an outright champion.

Whilst I can't stand Slater he is a great player, however where I believe Snake sets himself above Slater (and Inglis) is his ball playing. No fullback can match his passing ability. He really does play like another 5/8.

Snake also ****s all over Slater defensively. Brett is the best defensive fullback in the comp, his "try saves" stat would be NRL best.

Interestingly, no media is reporting the 180 tries as the Manly record Snake needs to beat. They all say 151 is the margin and they are excluding the Northern Eagles tries from any Manly total.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4