Smokin' Joe's glorious juniors thread.....

Bencher
Some good work recognised by selection in the rep sides,6 of the Matthews side have made the city rep sides.
Latu Fainu,Lehi Hopoate,Mitchell Taotua(lock),Roy Q.Mapusua(edge)and Z.Tupulua(middle) have been selected in U16 City side to play country and Samuela Fainu has been selected in the U18 side.
Also good to see second rower Tony Tupouniua(physical clone of Roosters second rower Sitili) has been selected in the open mens City side.The side is selected from best of Massey cup and is good recognition of his efforts and ability,he has received a number of MVP awards in each game and is one to possibly keep an eye on as is only 21 or so.

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
He looks a lot slimmer than the other Hopoate's Didn't hear much of him this year so doesn't sound like he will be a star like Albert and a few others promised to be at the same age
He's still very young and no doubt will fill out as he grows up. As @Smokin Joe mentioned, he's just been selected in the City Under 16 side.

Bencher
Not sure but would be in NRL bubble, most teams have withdrawn their squad players from lower grade games
Correct,Weekes withdrawn as well and none of the squad is playing in the reggies today.
On a side note,ex-Eagle James Hasson and Shaquille Mitchell are playing for the bunnies side.

Some good work recognised by selection in the rep sides,6 of the Matthews side have made the city rep sides.
Latu Fainu,Lehi Hopoate,Mitchell Taotua(lock),Roy Q.Mapusua(edge)and Z.Tupulua(middle) have been selected in U16 City side to play country and Samuela Fainu has been selected in the U18 side.
Also good to see second rower Tony Tupouniua(physical clone of Roosters second rower Sitili) has been selected in the open mens City side.The side is selected from best of Massey cup and is good recognition of his efforts and ability,he has received a number of MVP awards in each game and is one to possibly keep an eye on as is only 21 or so.
Does this mean next season Hopoate will be asking for $450K a season?

Reserve Grader
Correct,Weekes withdrawn as well and none of the squad is playing in the reggies today.
On a side note,ex-Eagle James Hasson and Shaquille Mitchell are playing for the bunnies side.
Please correct that smokin' Joe . Irish International James Hasson !

Bencher
Humphreys,Uesele and Charlie Thompson from Ball side named in the Flegg side.Interesting to see how Humphreys goes with Harris seemingly given the job for Reggies at the moment.
Koula,Weekes and Tuitavake have been kept in the Reggies side with the Flegg side playing this week.

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Humphreys,Uesele and Charlie Thompson from Ball side named in the Flegg side.Interesting to see how Humphreys goes with Harris seemingly given the job for Reggies at the moment.
Koula,Weekes and Tuitavake have been kept in the Reggies side with the Flegg side playing this week.
Your thoughts on Harris Joe?
Any chance of him being a Smokey in the 7 jumper as cover for DCE?

Bencher
Not sure how to approach this.....Maybe @The Wheel or @Mitch who have closer ties to some of the media or people involved with the club etc... could check or confirm.
There is a guy selected in our Flegg side this week,and I want to stress that I am not saying that he is the same guy as I truly do not know.However there is a guy with the same name as this player who was banned earlier this year from Rugby union in Wellington for an incident that is/was very concerning.
I will not say any more until someone from the club or here can confirm it,but if it is the same guy I have real concerns that we have signed this guy.

First Grader
Premium Member
Been a fan of this young robust player Tuitavake....
What's your thoughts on him Joe, I see a lot of potential but you know these juniors far more than I, what's your thoughts and could we see him in the grade in a year or 2 ??

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
24 21 3 499 44
24 21 3 390 44
24 20 4 322 42
24 16 8 252 34
24 16 8 141 34
24 15 9 109 32
24 12 12 -143 26
24 10 14 -3 22
24 10 14 -36 22