Site upgrades and maintenance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Over the next few weeks I will begin testing and then planning for some upgrades on the site.

This will involve both the main site and the forums. The current Front-end of the site uses Joomla, and we are currently on a version that is at end-of-life due to the rapid release cycle adopted by the Joomla development team. As such I need to plan for a two-step upgrade to the latest version that will likely break quite a number of the custom applications and code I have previously created for the site.

This means that as a first phase of the upgrade I will work to get the main site, news, content and layout upgraded and in place for the front-end. I will at the same time, work on slowly rolling back all current modifications on the forums until we have a "vanilla" install of the mybb software.
Once this is done, I will move us to the latest version of myBB and re-install the critical plugins/modifications that we use for Silvertails.

This will mean that I will be reviewing the modifications I have added, and only using the ones that I see as the most critical for the functionality of the site.

Phase two will see me re-writing many of the custom applications and code that we use. The tipping comp being the most important, but also the ladder and other such modifications. This will allow me to review the code for any possible faults or improvements at the same time. This may be a good time therefore, to suggest new features for the tipping competition.

This process is likely going to be fairly painful and we will probably see a number of issues or bugs arise from it. However it is a necessary step to stay up to date and supported going forward. It is also a step that allows us greater flexibility going forward.

Later on, if funds permit, I will be working on redesign of the site, though am happy to hear from any members who want to try their hand at giving Silvertails a design themselves. I also plan on having our logo redeveloped and then working on merchandise for this year too.

Any questions or suggestions, or even offers of help, please let me know.

Dan

Additionally please do not submit any news articles from now until the site is upgraded, which will be sometime around the 20th of Jan. Please just use the forums to post them

Thanks for the heads up Dan
So everything will be good by middle of Feb then

Oh if possible a submit article via mobile would be great too

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Thanks for the heads up Dan
So everything will be good by middle of Feb then

Hopefully before the WCC challenge :)

Daniel said:
Over the next few weeks I will begin testing and then planning for some upgrades on the site.

This will involve both the main site and the forums. The current Front-end of the site uses Joomla, and we are currently on a version that is at end-of-life due to the rapid release cycle adopted by the Joomla development team. As such I need to plan for a two-step upgrade to the latest version that will likely break quite a number of the custom applications and code I have previously created for the site.

This means that as a first phase of the upgrade I will work to get the main site, news, content and layout upgraded and in place for the front-end. I will at the same time, work on slowly rolling back all current modifications on the forums until we have a "vanilla" install of the mybb software.
Once this is done, I will move us to the latest version of myBB and re-install the critical plugins/modifications that we use for Silvertails.

This will mean that I will be reviewing the modifications I have added, and only using the ones that I see as the most critical for the functionality of the site.

Phase two will see me re-writing many of the custom applications and code that we use. The tipping comp being the most important, but also the ladder and other such modifications. This will allow me to review the code for any possible faults or improvements at the same time. This may be a good time therefore, to suggest new features for the tipping competition.

This process is likely going to be fairly painful and we will probably see a number of issues or bugs arise from it. However it is a necessary step to stay up to date and supported going forward. It is also a step that allows us greater flexibility going forward.

Later on, if funds permit, I will be working on redesign of the site, though am happy to hear from any members who want to try their hand at giving Silvertails a design themselves. I also plan on having our logo redeveloped and then working on merchandise for this year too.

Dan
I really like it when you talk technical, but which language are you using?

Daniel said:

Dan

My suggestion is keep up the excellent work, and thanks again for all your work in providing this great site!

. . . I'd offer to help but I'd just get in the way :)

just ran some tests today. This is going to be a nightmare, but hopefully ultimately better.

The template and design goes completely whacko so I am going to have to work on a new one, or at least part thereof.

A lot of coding and late nights. I think I will work primarily on getting the site up and worry about the forums later.

the forum upgrade is far less pressing really and won't be impacted by changes to the front-end so I can do that later. I just am not sure whether I should wrestle the current design into submission or whether I should work on a new one

Is talking technical like talking dirty??

I guess there are some of you that might get your Jolly's with "JOOMLA"....not me and like Lachie I'd just be in the way.

Happy computing Dan!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
Is talking technical like talking dirty??

I guess there are some of you that might get your Jolly's with "JOOMLA"....not me and like Lachie I'd just be in the way.

Happy computing Dan!!

Dirty talk? ..... Technical description of a 'Kiss" :' A Kiss is an anatomical juxtaposition of two arbicularus orus muscles in a state of contraction. Seems dirty in the extreme to me..Anyone else feel frisky?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4