Sipley v Lawton - surely it's a no brainer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lillchip

Reserve Grader
Lawton is handy no doubt about it, but if he's only going to get 15-20 mins a game why would you give up a wrecking ball like Sipley?

Doesn't make sense to me, surely a bench of Walker-Keppie-Sipley-Paseka would make most teams shudder.

Lawton is handy no doubt about it, but if he's only going to get 15-20 mins a game why would you give up a wrecking ball like Sipley?

Doesn't make sense to me, surely a bench of Walker-Keppie-Sipley-Paseka would make most teams shudder.
Remember Jake is shifting to FR once Walker comes on, so we are actually playing 5 FRs already. I think you're right, if we could guarantee no injuries but the difference is still marginal. If a half, hooker, backrower or centre goes down then Lawton is more valuable by a country mile.

Firstly am a fan of Sipley and can see benefits of the big wrecking ball charging hard and straight.
I also just think the hectic pace of the modern game and Souths offering speed through the middle in Cook, Murray, Su'a is better to combat this with the extra agility of Lawton...who is also pretty tough for a light weight....already have big boppers who can bend the line and the backend of both halves, there will be many tired bodies through that middle.
I also think if we hold up well in the middle defensively, it will somewhat restrict Souths left edge attack....well far better than a shift after gaining momentum through the middle and Lawton has both the ability to get in good position and also win the ground war and reset defensively, which is most important in this event.

I'd go Lawton. I think Sipley needs to spend the off season working on his speed and fitness. I just worry about how quickly he can get back into the defensive line.

I'm another vote for Lawton. Doesn't have the power of Sipley but makes up for it with energy. And as others have already said, he's good cover for Croker and holds his weight in defense.

I brought this up before the start of the finals series, I said going in with a bench of Lawton meant we would be playing with a 3 man bench because Crocker needs to play 80 for us and there is nowhere else Lawton can fill in. But Crocker got injured, and then in the chookies game was given an early mark so Lawton had a role in both two weeks.

But now, in the next two weeks, if Crocker is 100%, it is so vital that he plays 80 minutes for us, so crucial for combination with Tom Chez and Foz and so important for our middle defense, he is our best defender behind Jake. He literally is our new era's Matt Ballin.

So, where does Lawton fit? Where does he come on? Are we going to play the Rabbitohs with a 3 man bench? Don't we have more of an advantage if we bring Sipley, because he will ACTUALLY have game time?

I live in warrington (Bozo's place of birth) but am from Widnes originally. Both massive rugby league areas
I grew up just outside Cardiff though was born in Bristol. Both rugby union heartlands… Never seen a league game before moving to Australia.

Last edited:
Have to have Lawton imo

Most crucially as cover if Croker goes down, but he also provides edge backrow cover too, if we had Sipley then we have 2 starting middles and another 3 middles on the bench

I also like what he offers late out of dummy half if the game opens up a bit
3 starting middles and 3 on the bench. Too much in this era.

I grew up just outside Cardiff though was born in Bristol. Both rugby union heartlands… Never seen a league game before moving to Australia.
It's amazing how little people know about RL in the UK outside of the traditional RL playing towns

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4