SILVERTAILS' TEAM ... NOW PICK YOUR #14 ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Rather than vote from a selected number of options ... here is your chance to hand pick your #14 to complete the team ... will you choose a super sub that can cover multiple positions, .. or a 4th forward to add irresistible grunt .. or a creative or power X factor player to inject upon a battered opposition ... or just because you want him in the squad ..

My take on the team so far is that it is a tough, powerful unrelenting team with plenty of pace and try scoring ability .. and great defence ... with enough creativity in Cliffy and Reilly to get the job done against all comers ...

So pick your #14 and tell us why ...

The Silvertail's team of the past 50 years is ..

1 .. Graham Eadie
2 .. Ken Irvine
3 .. Jamie Lyon
4 .. Bob Fulton
5 .. Kerry Boustead
6 .. Cliff Lyons
7 .. Geoff Toovey
8 .. Mark Carroll
9 .. Max Krilich
10 . Ian Roberts
11 . Steve Menzies
12 . Terry Randall
13 . Malcolm Reilly

14 . ?
15 . Anthony Watmough
16 . Kevin Ward
17 . John O'Neill

Last edited:
I'll start ... my choice for #14 is Des Hasler .. can play any position other than prop ... he is an International half, an experienced 1st grade hooker and a Dally M lock of the year ... and it is no stretch of the imagination to believe he would also deliver a better than professional job of playing fullback, wing, centre or 2nd row if needed ..

In addition, it is his attitude that also gets him the nod from me ... he was a 100% competitor that would inject energy and grit to any team at any time or situation in a game ..

I'll start ... my choice for #14 is Des Hasler .. can play any position other than prop ... he is an International half, an experienced 1st grade hooker and a Dally M lock of the year ... and it is no stretch of the imagination to believe he would also deliver a better than professional job of playing fullback, wing, centre or 2nd row if needed ..

In addition, it is his attitude that also gets him the nod from me ... he was a 100% competitor that would inject energy and grit to any team at any time or situation in a game ..

I was just about to type...

"someone pick Des and give a reason so I can coat-tail on that wagon".

so thank you and +1 Des for me.

Into that team.....Primarily as cover for outside backs as the forwards/halves have cover (albeit with a little juggling) either Tommy T or Snoz O'Connor. They could both play anywhere from 1 to 6

'The Utility Player' - hard to go past Sea Eagles legend, Desmond John Hasler. In rep football, he's been selected as a five eighth, halfback & lock. For the Sea Eagles he's also played hooker & wing. I don't know if he played in the centres or fullback, but I am sure he would perform admirably in both positions. Des had speed, was a great support player and a very determined defender. He put his heart & soul into every match he played for the Sea Eagles (effort wise, very similar to Toovey).

The Utility Player.jpg

I'm gunna ruffle a few feathers here , but it's Foran for mine....a healthy Foran who initially had the pace to play centre, the skill to play 5/8 and would also be absolutely perfect off the bench at dummy half....but the key ingredient, like every other player I have chosen is the competitive nature....this bloke drips with enthusiasm and that's what you want in a team, especially bring as an impact and lift your team mates, fans and definately would scare the opposition knowing he is fresh and ready to rip in off the bench !!

14. Phil Blake.

Also can we drop O'Neill? The 1975 interview with him on another thread paints him in a less than favourable light.

I would put gift or kite in for him.

I'll go with Des for all the reasons @Woodsie listed. However, if looking for someone to produce a bit more spark of the bench, Phil Blake would be great option. Cover any position in the backline as well as hooker.

Ian Martin for me. Can play in the halves and at lock and has done so in 6 grand finals. Would be able to play hooker also in today's game where you don't have to win the ball. As tough as Tooves and would tackle as low as Beaver and as hard as Randall. Made Bozo and his outside backs look good.

Ian Martin for me. Can play in the halves and at lock and has done so in 6 grand finals. Would be able to play hooker also in today's game where you don't have to win the ball. As tough as Tooves and would tackle as low as Beaver and as hard as Randall. Made Bozo and his outside backs look good.
Ditto. Ian Martin would be the perfect utility, this guy would cut it in the modern game without a doubt IMO. Great defender, solid as a rock, and a great runner who can ball play. Could cover 6, 7, 9 and 13, which seems to be the territory for utility benchies these days. He gets my nod over Des. If you want a utility back then Rowdy would have to be the man, can cover wing, centre and fullback.

If you look at make up of the team you have Killer or Bozo can cover 6 comfortably, Beaver could drop into centre without a drama. Cliffy could cover 7, and Tooves into dummy half. So maybe the only weakness there is if Eadie goes down there isn't a fullback. So that would be the only reasoning behind Rowdy on the bench instead of Martin. We probably have enough flexibility to cover 6, 7 and 9 with current line up so outside back coverage might suit team balance better.

Ian Martin for me too. Very versatile and was a tough player with a tremendous pass. Just shades Alan Thompson for the 14 jersey.

Agree ,I also think the young man has the makings of a very good coach !!

really challenging as well . reckon that it could revolve around versatile and definite utility type players such as Des , Phil Blake , D C E , Rowdy Shearer and, AlanThompson . Cliffy could cover lock and hooker if it came to that and tooves 9 so maybe not quite as much emphasis on say Des and D C E then , Just as Chip and Chase and maybe one other have mentioned perhaps to cover adequately full back with the starting 13 a consideration . Phil Blake was a sensational player and could cover all back line positions [ and even to take into account some defensive issues for him ] and again with Cliff and Tooves to cover lock and hooker would opt for Phil Blake just ahead of Des .

Hope that Bearfax is all right . Would have normally expected him to have been right in to these type of threads

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2