• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Before the Sea Eagles recruitment people start searching high and low for backs and forwards to fill the gaps, they need to sign up several of the youngsters to at least 2-3 year contracts. Some of these kids will be better than what we can recruit in a few years and being raised in the Sea Eagle community they will tend to want to stay with their mates and help develop the next dynasty.

No 1 and an absolute certainty is Josh Schuster. He'll challenge Ponga for the top rookie in years to come. No 2 Albert Hopoate. I know he's had two nasty injuries, but we made that mistake with Gutherson, and he went on to four years without significant absences. Hoppa has the skills. Hold him. No 3 Fainu. This kid could rival Krillich in a few years. No 4 Ben Trbojevic. He looks to have Menzies like adaptability and pace.

There are others but Manly must seal up these 4. They will ensure Manly challenges for the Crown in a few years. Sign them up first, then look outside the club.

True but the problem will lies with their managers.

It seems that it's all about the here and now and I get that but "potential" and "next superstar/future Kangaroo" can only go so far at the negotiation table.

Most identified Ponga as a future star but the Knights put their ball$ on the line and paid big dollars for an unproven talent, how much the Cowboys were prepared to pay is unknown and that's the rub,
there'll always be clubs prepared to pay overs on potential ( just like racehorse owners ).

Coaches want the here and now, so do their boards and fans.
Look at Brownie at the Knights, after three years of trust, heartache and now the rebuild everyone expected them to just click and he's under the gun after six weeks, it's a fickle industry.

JWH left because we didn't think an U20 firebrand prop was worth $200K ( reputedly ), how many "future stars" want to bide their time in ressies whether they are on big $$ or not?

On the flipside, they could be finished in 2-3 years so an extra coupla hundred thousand will make the world of difference.

So @Bearfax, how much do you $$ value do you place on each of the players you mention?

PS - not having a go at you, just expanding the discussion I hope.

No one is disputing the value of JWH or Ponga today. Its a punt but usually if a kid is outstanding at junior level he's going to make it at senior level. Even if two out of four succeed we are ahead. Let them go and its another Gutherson, JWH, Ramien etc misread. If they fail they are gone in 2-3 years anyway. At least we have those who look the goods and we are paying a lot less than big bucks trying to compete for established stars

Agree re the first three. Not so convinced about Ben T. Not sure he has the upside of his older brothers. Big kid but from the games I’ve seen doesn’t have the X factor of his brothers. Good without looking exceptional.

Last edited:
Ben T looks like he has come on better this year , made the main junior rep sides again too . Saw him striding out for a try in some highlights a couple of weeks ago , did remind me of Beaver in full flight , Unlikely of course to have Beaver :s overall freakish ability but still definitely has plenty of ability and quite useful that he can handle centre of 2 rd row . Think that he will be good enough to join his older siblings in the Manly top squad before too long .

• 📚
Reactions: Sue
Ok. That’s good news.Only seen him playing once this year. Previous years I thought he was good but a bit overwrapped.

Agree re the first three. Not so convinced about Ben T. Not sure he has the upside of his older brothers. Big kid but from the games I’ve seen doesn’t have the X factor of his brothers. Good without looking exceptional.

Ben is still well above average but not dominating as much as his brothers did coming through, that is Schuster in that team.

Still think he will play plenty of first grade.

• 📚
Reactions: Sue
I'm sure we all said that about Glenn Stewart.
Players mature at different ages.
Ben T has the advantage over his famous brothers of being able to play in the forwards and the backs.

Does Albert Hopoate have plans on going on a Mormon Mission like his brother Will? That is my concern about signing any of the younger Hopoates. In my opinion, Will was never the same type of player when he returned to the NRL.

Does Albert Hopoate have plans on going on a Mormon Mission like his brother Will? That is my concern about signing any of the younger Hopoates. In my opinion, Will was never the same type of player when he returned to the NRL.
Will Hopoate is still a damn fine first grader. He does everything right. Sets up his outside men, is safe under the high ball, is well positioned and reliable. While not a speedster he is a valuable team player and a great utility.

Will Hopoate is still a damn fine first grader. He does everything right. Sets up his outside men, is safe under the high ball, is well positioned and reliable. While not a speedster he is a valuable team player and a great utility.

Will's skill is his ability to make the right play when needed. Some times he does freakish things that make you wonder if he has a 6th sense, because they seem to come off even though they seem impulsive. Not fast but very solid in what he does.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8