Should we take the 2

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We neglected to take the easy 2 points from a penalty a few times against the warriors and in the end it proved vital. We took the 2 twice against the storm and it ended up saving us the game. I think in the torrential rain we showed a lack of respect for the warriors defence and the 2 points would have been a better option in these circumstances. I love a quick tap more than anyone and we have had alot of success with it but considering the situation and rain I think in these instances we should have taken the 2. We need to get these calls right over the next month and in the semis

Everyone knows the winners on the train home from Randwick but yeh, for future reference. Wet track, away from home, four points behind and the opposition is defending well - take the two. At the time though I thought it was smart to take the tap. I thought we would either break their line or burn up their energy and cut them apart later in the game when they flagged.

We were already 4 points behind . If it was still nil nil we probly would have taken the 2 and the warriors would have stopped giving them away near the line.

It was the same issue in that 4-0 game against the Roosters in week 1 of the 2013 Finals - they scored earlyish try and we never took any attempts at a penalty goal after that.

Same conundrum here, teams don't want to take the easy two if they will still be behind.

I’m a firm believer in always ( well nearly always) taking the two regardless.
They are two points you may need later.

The Warriors tactics were obvious but what was less so was that the penalties they conceded defending their line were early in the tackle count so the fatigue factor was somewhat diminished.
You’ve got to take away their risk v reward to do it - taking two points each time does that and the refs should soon realise too what’s going on then their threat of sinbinning someone becomes less of an idle one.
Exert scoreboard pressure on the opposition and the refs right from the start.

We neglected to take the easy 2 points from a penalty a few times against the warriors and in the end it proved vital. We took the 2 twice against the storm and it ended up saving us the game. I think in the torrential rain we showed a lack of respect for the warriors defence and the 2 points would have been a better option in these circumstances. I love a quick tap more than anyone and we have had alot of success with it but considering the situation and rain I think in these instances we should have taken the 2. We need to get these calls right over the next month and in the semis
Yes, yes and yes! Same thing against Penrith. Four competition points gone.

It was the same issue in that 4-0 game against the Roosters in week 1 of the 2013 Finals - they scored earlyish try and we never took any attempts at a penalty goal after that.

Same conundrum here, teams don't want to take the easy two if they will still be behind.
Which was possibly a key factor in ultimately losing the GF. Having to play an extra game, whereas the Roosters were fresh, along with some refereeing sugar hits.

It beggars belief really. Last week they had two easy shots in a row about halfway through the second half with the game theoretically still in the balance. Didn’t score from the subsequent sets of six. Meanwhile Newcastle could have scored down the other end.

Take the two. Use up some time. Give the team a breather. Reset for another attacking raid. Treat your opponents with respect.

Last edited:
We should have definitely taken the 2 points on at least 2 occasions..The Warriors were deliberately doing everything they could to stifle our attack close to the line.

Unfortunately we did just about everything we could to stifle our own attack as well.

I know we all love DCE (most of the time lol), but things like kicking on the first tackle of a 7 tackle set on their line was just plain dumb, especially since neither Jorge or Scorpio seemed to have any idea that DCE would kick because neither chased the ball through. It just handed them the ball, made worse by the fact that less than a couple of minutes later.....they scored and took all the momentum.

Things like that showed that the Warriors defence caused a bit of panic on Friday night and that composure we have shown almost all season just went out the window.

Hopefully its back to normal on Thursday.

Respecting the ball and playing percentages was the play last Friday night. For 65 minutes our tactics were poor. We could have taken the 2 and I expect that Manly expected the Warriors to fold as they mostly do. I think it also came down that this was the last chance saloon for them and I have never seen them so desperate in defence as they were in this game.

Can be easy in hindsight to question certain on field decisions when they don't get the desired result but when it became obvious that the intentional Warrior"s tactics of niggle and slowing the Manly play the balls and ruck speed was going to continue , any 2 points on easy offer would have been the better option at least early on . Having a top season of course but also obvious that D C E ;s ill judged i st tackle grubber certainly did not help matters also . A dry track , a different situation too but adaptability was the lesson for Manly out of that game and just came too late to make the difference , even taking into account Blair 's absence for a short time .

This is an argument that can only be "proven" right or wrong .... after the event ...

After the pro's post 50 examples of why you should .... and the nay's post 50 examples of why you shouldn't .... I will declare the debate a draw ....

I am however in favour of the Captain on the field making the decision either way ....

Hindsight

The only reason this is being talked about is because we scored three tries to get undeservedly close after Blair got ten minutes he shouldn’t have got. At 18 4 and Blair not sent off I doubt we score those tries and we would have looked silly taking the two. Simple fact is anything but a Warriors win would have been a travesty.

We have been playing brilliantly while they conceded 40 at the same venue the week before. The Warriors are also notorious for starting strong and folding. I have no issue with a team showing confidence and backing themselves, especially against sides with ordinary defensive record. We were just unlucky to cop the week they decided to try..

On a wet track at AMI or the cricket ground against Storm or Chooks taking the two an option for sure.
In the context of the game the other night the decision was fine. To predict the Warriors would defend like that is Nostradamus stuff. The difference was not taking the two , the difference was they turned up and we were flat after a tough campaign.

Hindsight

The only reason this is being talked about is because we scored three tries to get undeservedly close after Blair got ten minutes he shouldn’t have got. At 18 4 and Blair not sent off I doubt we score those tries and we would have looked silly taking the two. Simple fact is anything but a Warriors win would have been a travesty.

We have been playing brilliantly while they conceded 40 at the same venue the week before. The Warriors are also notorious for starting strong and folding. I have no issue with a team showing confidence and backing themselves, especially against sides with ordinary defensive record. We were just unlucky to cop the week they decided to try..

On a wet track at AMI or the cricket ground against Storm or Chooks taking the two an option for sure.
In the context of the game the other night the decision was fine. To predict the Warriors would defend like that is Nostradamus stuff. The difference was not taking the two , the difference was they turned up and we were flat after a tough campaign.
Agree it was our performance that cost us the game however after seeing how the ref was allowing an extremely slow play the ball and the fact we really didn't look like scoring aswell as the torrential rain at the time I thought 2 points was definitely the way to go. It showed a lack of respect for the warriors defence.
Most of the time we have taken the quick tap this year ive been all for it however the storm game a couple weeks back definitely called for the 2 points and again against the warriors I felt we made the wrong call. I was screaming for us to take the 2

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6