Should we consider playing a season at the SCG?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I love Brookie. I’ve been watching Manly play there for 50 years from the hill, and reckon it is the best viewing ground in Sydney. But, perhaps it’s time to shake up the council and play for one year away from Brookie. I’ve finally come to this suggestion after reading that the state of the ground was responsible for Perry and Choc’s injuries, plus the anti-Manly dribble from some of the Councillors.
So, by taking away the reported $300,000 Manly pays the council for use of Brookie it may bring the dribblers to realise that Manly is the best thing Brookie has going for it. How is the ground going to look after a year when $300,000 less is spent on it? It wouldn’t even be fit for frisbee.
So, if this theory holds water, how about playing for one season at the SCG?
While not ideal location-wise, it does have history and drawing power.
I would prefer the SCG to the SFS which, while being a great ground, is home to Easts.
I would be very unlikely to go to Gosford. Maybe I’d get along a couple of times a season, but ultimately I think we’d lose out on crowds.
Personally I’d like to have Manly playing for one season at North Sydney Oval. It is a good viewing ground, in top condition, with a hill and excellent atmosphere. Plus it is well located and holds many fond memories (for me, anyway). I know that there is the anti-Bears push, but:
(a) should Manly considering playing for one year away from Brookie?
(b) should it be at the SCG, SFS, North Sydney Oval or Bluetongue? 

Unless there is a commitment of a huge amount of money to improve the facilities, stands, etc at Brookie I can't see the advantage of moving for a season except for a one-off financial gain from the hosting ground. I would rather do it only if that financial commitment for Brookie was available and the works could be planned properly.

More games should be played at the SCG. They always pull a big crowd and it always looks good

If Warringah council were half smart enough they would have renamed the ground brookvale high school and obtained $10m in funding from the federal government under the BER program to build a hall which could also be used as a grandstand on match days.  

Imagine the injuries to our players if they got tackled on north sydney oval's cricket pitch.  Also no parking and the ground is cursed as well.  No thanks. 

If the upgrade doesn't happen and if we can' get more funding from the fed government then I think we have no choice, SFS would be preferrable.

Barry Hyland link said:
I love Brookie. I’ve been watching Manly play there for 50 years from the hill, and reckon it is the best viewing ground in Sydney. But, perhaps it’s time to shake up the council and play for one year away from Brookie. I’ve finally come to this suggestion after reading that the state of the ground was responsible for Perry and Choc’s injuries, plus the anti-Manly dribble from some of the Councillors.
So, by taking away the reported $300,000 Manly pays the council for use of Brookie it may bring the dribblers to realise that Manly is the best thing Brookie has going for it. How is the ground going to look after a year when $300,000 less is spent on it? It wouldn’t even be fit for frisbee.
I would prefer the SCG to the SFS which, while being a great ground, is home to Easts.
I would be very unlikely to go to Gosford. Maybe I’d get along a couple of times a season, but ultimately I think we’d lose out on crowds.
Personally I’d like to have Manly playing for one season at North Sydney Oval. It is a good viewing ground, in top condition, with a hill and excellent atmosphere. Plus it is well located and holds many fond memories (for me, anyway). I know that there is the anti-Bears push, but:

I can see where you're going here BH,and there is SOME merit in it.I don't think it would come to fruition,though,imo.I would add to the financial argument that the businesse around Brookie would suffer.Brookie Maccas,travelodge,Manly Leagues,caterers and ground cleaners at Brookie,bus drivers extra shifts,Brookie hotel,and a host of other businesses would lose out big time if there were no Sea-eagles playing out of Brookie.
I wonder if anyone on here has the know how to find out how much money went out of the Brookie area on the 2 game days we played "home" at Bluetongue?

ayjay007 link said:
[quote author=Barry Hyland link=topic=184569.msg283016#msg283016 date=1281315763]

I can see where you're going here BH,and there is SOME merit in it.I don't think it would come to fruition,though,imo.I would add to the financial argument that the businesse around Brookie would suffer.Brookie Maccas,travelodge,Manly Leagues,caterers and ground cleaners at Brookie,bus drivers extra shifts,Brookie hotel,and a host of other businesses would lose out big time if there were no Sea-eagles playing out of Brookie.
I wonder if anyone on here has the know how to find out how much money went out of the Brookie area on the 2 game days we played "home" at Bluetongue?
[/quote]just regarding that last part about businesses  dont make much when we take our games away to bluetongue,, thats not our concern ..if the businesses  lose out they should tell the warringah council to start doing something about brookie..business dont do nothing for manly football team ,why should we care if they are losing money , some of them probably want to see the manly football team out of the area & we have to worry about wether they making money.. pFFt..

Plenty of brookvale businesses are minor sponsors of manly - this is really important to remember

Shoe1 link said:
Plenty of brookvale businesses are minor sponsors of manly - this is really important to remember
im not questioning  that  im sure there is some good ones there but  stuffed if we should care wether maccas or  travelodge loses out them idiots can even give ticketed members 10%off on their accomodation..

There is some merit in what your saying BH. I don't think you could move a whole season away from Brookie, but maybe a few home games played at the SCG would be good. A few of the other clubs do it and it is always a good atmosphere, crowd and game at the SCG.

You would really need a financial winfall to move games away from Brookie though. But i think the crowds would be bigger at the SCG, no doubt about that.

tookey link said:
If Warringah council were half smart enough they would have renamed the ground brookvale high school and obtained $10m in funding from the federal government under the BER program to build a hall which could also be used as a grandstand on match days. 

Imagine the injuries to our players if they got tackled on north sydney oval's cricket pitch.  Also no parking and the ground is cursed as well.  No thanks. 
appluad :)

Wasn't one of the major contributing factors to the Bears going broke & trying to move to the CC the stupidly high rent charged by Nth Sydney council?

That bunch of rah rah twats hate League more than Warringah.

SCG would be a better option than Gosford if we have to take two games away but moving to a stadium further away from the bulk of the supporter base will only reduce crowds, if it's done on a regular basis.
Most Northern beaches people wouldn't cross Spit Bridge if there was a fire.

SCG is the heart and soul of Rugby League. If Manly were ever to leave the holy Brookvale oval it can only be the Cricket Ground. I was there for the St George Roosters game and it was the best atmosphere Ive seen for ages. I went their early and just watched the empty ground and can still hear the echos of Fullton ,Terry Randal Graham Eadie .  Also all our serious injuries are coming from the atrocious surface of Brookie and i believe that there should be no more games there immediately ,cause any more injuries and our season is finished.

i cant stand Gosford and the Old Bears home ground definately not the SFS there no tradition there its SCG all the way

Duff link said:
Wasn't one of the major contributing factors to the Bears going broke & trying to move to the CC the stupidly high rent charged by Nth Sydney council?

That bunch of rah rah twats hate League more than Warringah.

SCG would be a better option than Gosford if we have to take two games away but moving to a stadium further away from the bulk of the supporter base will only reduce crowds, if it's done on a regular basis.
Most Northern beaches people wouldn't cross Spit Bridge if there was a fire.

No, the major stumbling block was North Sydney Council refusing to allow permanent signage, rather than the rent charged. This also affected representative cricket. However, that issue has been solved by moveable signage, and a more lenient approach by council.
North Sydney Oval is well grassed and the cricket pitch area would not pose a problem these days with better ground-keepers.
North Sydney is not full of rah-rah twats - you can tell that by the poor crowds they get at the rugby.
There actually is more parking around North Sydney Oval than at Brookvale.
You may not have played at North Sydney Oval but it is a great ground for cricket, league, union and even soccer.

ads link said:
The big issue would be if we move we'd probably never get back....
Don't you think it would be a wake-up call to the Council? The ratepayers would be forking out $300,000 a year more, and who'd be using the oval?
Also, if the playing surface is dangerous why would professional sporting teams want to play there?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6