should des drop t, hodkinson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It is about 50/50 on here based on posts I have seen. I always believe you should put your best players on the park and that is what most NRL coaches do. As BE says, if his form continues to drop off then I'm sure Des will look at what other options he could take.

toovs link said:
i think so he won,t be here next year give this other fella ago

mate i been saying this all week & last week..  again  why do we need to give trent nrl experience to take to dogs.. stuff em  they can get him with 9 nrl games  & no nrl experience the next 3-4months..

It's not about giving him more 1st grade experience for his next contract elsewhere. This is about picking the best side we can. If he is the best half-back at the club, there is no reason why he shouldn't be selected.
Why punish ourselves this year because one bloke has signed elsewhere for next year? I don't get.
It's a bit like the club taking away the official forum and punishing the members in the process. It doesn't make sense and will only hurt the club in the end.

WAMF link said:
It's not about giving him more 1st grade experience for his next contract elsewhere. This is about picking the best side we can. If he is the best half-back at the club, there is no reason why he shouldn't be selected.
Why punish ourselves this year because one bloke has signed elsewhere for next year? I don't get.
It's a bit like the club taking away the official forum and punishing the members in the process. It doesn't make sense and will only hurt the club in the end.

wam thats fair enough but why should we also punish our selves next year by playing dce  without any nrl experience this yr under his belt.. might as well find out if he is any good now not next year when we have to change our side around ..

You should have made this a poll thread toovs.

I think that he should be given more time to see if his form improves but if it doesn't then drop him back to park football and temporarily move Foran back to 1/2 and Lyon to 5/8th until DCE has finished his SCSE duties as he (DCE) is only just finding his feet in that competition at the moment and would find the NRL even harder at this point in time.

The QLD Cup Round 22 (the final round of the season) completes August 29 so if there is no way that they will make the QLD Cup final series then bring him up to the NRL a little earlier.

Piss him off. I won't enjoy watching a player who's heart and future is somewhere else, here. It doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy Manly feel. Plus, he's not setting the world on fire, and deserves to be dropped.

I don't think destabilising the side further than has already taken place is a great idea at this point in the season. We are pretty much on the fence as to where our season is heading.

A few good games back to back and good momentum going into the end of the season and we are a real chance. On the flip side, a few losses and we could very easily be out of the 8.

I wouldn't go making radical changes at this stage. Yes its **** that he has signed elsewhere, but are you happy to jeopardise our entire season by bringing in an unknown rookie into the side?

Spuds Bodyguard link said:
I don't think destabilising the side further than has already taken place is a great idea at this point in the season. We are pretty much on the fence as to where our season is heading.

A few good games back to back and good momentum going into the end of the season and we are a real chance. On the flip side, a few losses and we could very easily be out of the 8.

I wouldn't go making radical changes at this stage. Yes its S**t that he has signed elsewhere, but are you happy to jeopardise our entire season by bringing in an unknown rookie into the side?

If it means our future (long term if DCE is signed for three years) look more secure and satisfactory.

Farrer is a great stand in/ Backup player, but lets face the truth if Brett and Wolfman were fit to play he would be playing for the SCSE

Farrer would excel in somewhere like Canberra. They could use him in their backline.

First it was Hodko or Matai.

Now that Hodko has turned his back on his team mates, its

Farrer or Matai, according to the Daily.

I agree WAMF we are trying to win the comp this year.
Jared signed with the Roosters last year and
Des continued to play him in the NRL.
You have to pick the strongest team to win.
I still think Manly can win the comp this year with a fit squad.

I agree Trent's form hasn't been the greatest but i honestly believe his best assets are his defence and his composure. Keiran provides the spark in attack. I haven't seen Trent dominate and leave his mark on a game like Keiran has.
Personally I don't think Trent was worth the 800k. The dogs are gambling on potential.

DCE needs to put some kg's on before he plays NRL.
If Manly can string a few wins together we will see him creep onto the bench as the utility towards the end of the year.

Ryan link said:
Piss him off. I won't enjoy watching a player who's heart and future is somewhere else, here. It doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy Manly feel. Plus, he's not setting the world on fire, and deserves to be dropped.

A harsh and presumptuous call to say his heart is not here right now. We have no idea where people's hearts are:
is Matai's with Cronulla or desiring more dollars?;
is DCE's feeling bitter he wasn't given the initial shot?;
is Josh Perry's resentful Manly didn't come up with the contract he wanted?;
is Watmough thinking of his six kids and their future?;
is Brett's heart permantly tarnished with his alledged assault?

We can only judge a man by his performance. Yes, TH performance has been average lately, but then, so has the teams - most below average.

Des (I think), would hate the fact he has lost a future playmaker, but he would still regard TH as his best option for the team to perform admirably this year - with the hope of winning.

Des doesn't strike me as a bitter and vindictive man; emotional, yes, but vindictive, no. As I've said once before (in another topic), a Des chosen player has to be injured to lose his position and then the next guy must have to have stepped up so much that Des can't drop him. (This last statement is of course my oppinion)  
;)

Ryan link said:
Ridiculous. Do you want to drop Perry as well? As others have pointed out, it simply won't happen. Thankfully Des is focussed on the team performing well not just in 2014 but right now. Of course he has an eye on future years, that's part of his job, and he's doing it very well in my humble opinion.

If he is the best option he should play.

I notice how many here are not saying drop Perry as well.  Why not?  Based on TH arguments we should be looking to the future and giving someone else a run to get experience at Perrys expenses.  Which of course is stupid, just like the TH argument.  

going by his recent form i would say yes but as all the contract stuff has probably been on his mind thats his excuse !!! now there isnt one if hes still down on form maybe des needs to look at someone else ,a fresh hungry unknown may spark something positive in the team ,it has before and the way we have been going lately that might be a good thing  .

Im dissapointed he is leaving though as any player that leaves manly knows they always end up regretting it ....

I think manly shot themselfs in the foot from the start when it comes to trent...the kid had to sit behind ox for a yr and he copped it sweet (knowing he wasn't gonna take the captains job off him)..
But I honestly think we lost him as soon as we overlooked him to start the season,only to bring him on due to injury.. Once we showed he wasn't our top priority as 7 I was worried he wouldn't be here next yr.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=183637.msg267510#msg267510 date=1276900850]
Ridiculous. Do you want to drop Perry as well? As others have pointed out, it simply won't happen. Thankfully Des is focussed on the team performing well not just in 2014 but right now. Of course he has an eye on future years, that's part of his job, and he's doing it very well in my humble opinion.
[/quote]
how could you put perry in the same catergory .. perry is nrl experienced he has played for newcastle given us 3years ..he can still play for us regardless if he staying or going
but trent thats different all together we gave him the chance.. he just started out promised us he would stay  liked the area ppl & team, then does a runner on us ..& he hasnt even played a full season with us... so why should we give him experience to take to dogs..
perry has earned his right to be in the team regardless if he here next yr or not.. trent the green horn hasnt..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8