Shaun "Exit" Lane mega thread.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Not Paul Kent

Reserve Grader
One of the more out there signings rumours I've heard, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea. He may have had a couple of serious knee injuries but he's taken his time to get those sorted and now he's playing great footy in the Shute Shield, he was touted by many as the next Wallabies fly half, this kid oozes class on and off the field, he's exactly what Manly needs and would be a perfect foil for DCE. While there are serious question marks over his injury history, this would be priced into the contract and he would come cheaply for 2-3 years. We've had success with Rugby converts before Ridge, O'Connor, Innes and Warea-Hargreaves just to name a few. He's a handy goal kicker too and could be a great signing!

Obligatory highlights reel (because everyone loves them so much!)

He must be 25 by now. There are a heap of good rugby halves out there but if he is fit he is as good as any other signing we have for 5/8 next year. I did lke his ability to pass well both sides and his boot as well.

Can he kick goals? We need at least 2 in the roster to cover that crucial role @:cool:

Mitchell Cox was another Union guy who went well for us in the 80s :)

I wonder when Bozo's master roster will be released :rolleyes:

He looks really good but he'd be a huge gamble after 3 knee surgeries....1 year contract with another year in our favour would minimise the risk. Not to sure if he''s what we need given all the drama we've had with injuries of late.

I keep an eye on rugby, i'm familiar with him and like the move to sign him.
He's Tim Lane's son. Tim is a very good rugby coach, coached the Wallabies backline in the '99 World Cup win, among many other achievements. Sam has good football pedigree but also genuine skill. Its impressive he played Currie Cup in South Africa at such a young age. Thats a solid comp. I like the idea of getting a skillful rugby 5/8, its a good move

He has a great pass but if his body can't hold up to soft union then league will kill him.

He would be lucky to make it to Xmas in pre-season before being injured

Union 'soft'? You're kidding arent you. The games are different but not that different, physically speaking. There are still gigantic units hitting you hard in tackles and rucks. Bigger units than in league, to be honest. Have a look at some of the monsters playing Currie Cup then call it soft lol

Union 'soft'? You're kidding arent you. The games are different but not that different, physically speaking. There are still gigantic units hitting you hard in tackles and rucks. Bigger units than in league, to be honest. Have a look at some of the monsters playing Currie Cup then call it soft lol
Have a look at the crusaders 130 kg winger in the last brumbies game or the big fijian winger fofr the tahs or will skelton if you think its soft.

Highlights are highlights, but what would make him a cracking 5/8 is that he puts the ball in the hole not direct to the man and then he backs up.
That sort of passing game really encourages good hole runners. Guys like symonds and buhrer would be awesome with that

Last edited:
It's soft. Even the players admit that playing NRL is much tougher on their bodies.

Both SBW and SBurgess said that league limits a career due to the non stop battering a forward's body takes.

We need a confident goal kicker or two, as Killer may give it away after this year.

I think the difference is that league is more a non stop game. Plenty of rest time in union games.
Perhaps once upon a time, not so much now. The amount of 'rest time' in NRL now is massive, mainly due to prolonged time taken to pack scrums and video referrals. I was reading an article stating the NRL's official stats show the ball is play now for an average of 55 minutes per game.

I would suggest the biggest physical hurdle in NRL (not league in general) is the week to week intensity. Any team in the comp is capable of beating any other team, there are no 'easy' games. You don't see massive blow out scorelines in NRL like you can in say Super Rugby or UK Super League.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4