Sharks in cap trouble

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
EA9D6673-4488-43C4-8FC3-0667CAED6F0F.jpeg

Salary cap investigation heats up as Sharks bosses’ phones seized
DEAN RITCHIE, EXCLUSIVE, The Daily Telegraph
41 minutes ago
Subscriber only

SOME Cronulla Sharks directors have had their mobile phones confiscated by the NRL integrity unit as part of the investigation into the club’s potential salary cap breaches.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal some directors reluctantly handed over their phones to the NRL on Monday morning.

It is a dramatic development in the NRL’s ongoing examination into Cronulla’s alleged salary cap irregularities during 2015 and 2017.

“Unfortunately, I’m not able to make any comment as the investigation by the NRL is ongoing and confidential,” Sharks chief executive Barry Russell said.

One well-placed source said the investigation must be “hotting up” if phones had been seized.

The NRL would not comment yesterday.

Sharks officials remain concerned about what occurred in 2015, particularly now the NRL potentially has mobile phone evidence.

It is unknown whether then Sharks CEO and now Manly chief executive Lyall Gorman had his phone taken. He was not at Manly’s Narrabeen headquarters on Monday.

Some Cronulla Sharks directors have had their mobile phones confiscated by the NRL.
Cronulla’s salary cap drama broke in August when Russell self-reported what was a possible salary cap breach.

The NRL has made the probe a priority but is yet to nail down any final findings.

It is understood the NRL has been investigating Cronulla for six months.

Russell turned up suspicious and historic payments during a club-instigated governance review and immediately informed the NRL integrity unit.

In August, the NRL also impounded a number of servers.

The NRL has no timeframe for when it hopes to finalise and announce its findings.

At the time, it was thought the breach could be more than $250,000.

The Daily Telegraph reported in August that the investigation centred around undeclared third-party payments last year after the value of players increased considerably following Cronulla’s 2016 premiership win.

There is no suggestion coach Shane Flanagan’s mobile phone was taken.

The NRL had wanted several Cronulla officials to give evidence.

When the cap drama first surfaced, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said Flanagan, Gorman and former chairman Damian Keogh would be asked to front the NRL.

Last edited:
Funny how we’d nearly get a bloody mention on the world news with the attention we get, yet when the exact thing happens at the sharks with the phone thing it’s all ladedahdedah :wasntme:

But apparently they were squeaky clean in 2016 when they won the comp :rofl:
Turn the lights back on Mr Peptide!
This is actually quite hilarious. Any team that's had allegations, they have been spanning across years. But the sharks cheated the year before they won? And the year after? But not the year they won? :giggle:
"Mr Greenberg. Yeah Sharks boss here.
There may have been some cap miscalculations recently.
But not in '16 when we won. Double checked that one.
All good then?"
Greenberg: "Not so fast. I want everything ever touched by the Manly CEO!"

This competition is so silly.
Roosters are under the cap! @:D

Can I just say. If i have ever seen a player who would suit DES Hasler the footy coach and this current Manly side down to a tee. It's Wade Graham.

PS he's not injury prone. He's just cheaper. Tough as nails. Champion Player. He could take our team to another level.

Admittedly that isn't hard.

Can I just say. If i have ever seen a player who would suit DES Hasler the footy coach and this current Manly side down to a tee. It's Wade Graham.

PS he's not injury prone. He's just cheaper. Tough as nails. Champion Player. He could take our team to another level.

Admittedly that isn't hard.

Out with an ACL, so now potentially “injury prone”.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7