Shark Bail Out???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
I have just read somewhere that the NRL are giving full support to the Sharks as their sponsors jump ship and they are looking decidely dodgy on the financial front.

My question is should the NRL be doing so and is there are conflict of interest? They certainly didn't jump to attention and support Manly in our deepest darkest days? The Bears and other dead clubs were allowed to fall off the fence into the ocean.

Is this related to the Sharks being a SuperLeague club and supported for a long time by News and so they now need to pay back the 'supposed loyalty' by doing what they can do to support them.

Does anyone care if the Sharks do die?

I have had a thought over the last week that there has been a deliberate push to get rid of them. Following the NRLs failure to allow them a small amount to play games at Gosford there was the sudden revelations from 2002 to ensure that sponsors fall off.

The Sharks have a history of doing the wrong thing by Manly, so I couldn't care less if they folded.

THE decision by the NRL to force the Cronulla Sutherland rugby league club to open its books to league accountants comes after four companies pulled their sponsorship - worth about $150,000 a year - following the Four Corners report on the 2002 Christchurch sex scandal.

Two of those companies - Westfield Miranda and Wendy Wu Tours - are directly linked to the female market, and there is growing concern among remaining sponsors about the way the club relates to its female fan base. "We are keen to talk to the club this week because for us it is a business decision, and it is not good business to be associated with a club that has such negative headlines in respect to women," one sponsor's client manager told the Herald.

"It's never come up before but on Friday, one of our senior executives - she's a woman - asked me pretty bluntly, 'How many women are on the board of the Sharks?' I don't think they have one, do they?

"But that's the pressure from the top [of our company] down, and we're suddenly justifying why we are a sponsor. I thought we could ride it out but as every day goes on, it seems to get worse."

Insiders said other sponsors were worried about the ongoing financial crisis, and might use the excuse that they no longer wanted to be associated with a club that had turned a blind eye to a group sex culture to exercise a get-out clause in sponsorship contracts.

With the club reeling from the group sex revelations aired in the Code of Silence program - and top club officials Barry Pierce and Tony Zappia refusing to name the players involved- there is significant concern from sponsors about the club's reputation.

But the parlous financial state of the club itself has others worried as well. NRL CEO David Gallop has stepped in personally, preparing to meet key long-term sponsor LG Electronics to help the club ease any fears. LG has been with the club for nine years and contributes about $1 million a year for jersey sponsorship, stadium signage, matchday sponsorships, official team merchandise and a corporate box.

Chief executive Zappia is in the tough position of trying to resuscitate the club's plummeting reputation while trying to stem the bleeding of cash resulting from poor home gate receipts and a struggling licensed club. Zappia had budgeted for crowds of 13,000 but, so far this year, the average is just under 9000.

The NRL hierarchy wants to know the Sharks' full financial picture from its own accountants before making any decision about ongoing assistance. Earlier this month, the NRL rejected a plea from the club to stage five games in Gosford next year in return for guaranteed income. The club's annual statement from last year showed it had short-term debt of more than $11m, an overdraft of more than $2m, that it operated at a loss of $1.4m in 2008 and had a tax debt of $800,000.

"We will have a team of people from finance, marketing and membership going to Cronulla in the next day or so to put their financials under a microscope," Gallop said. "We want to get a clearer picture where they are at.

"I am sure they will fully co-operate, and I really don't expect our guys to discover any big surprises, because we have been monitoring the Sharks' financial position for some time.

There are too many clubs in Sydney & that area in particular. Let them die out naturally and give their licence to a new club such as Central QLD or Perth (IMHO, i don't think we need a team on the NSW central coast as I think that both Manly & Newcastle cover that area sufficiently).

I think the NRL has to save the Sharks to cover its own ass with broadcasting deals.  It's probably cheaper to waste money on the Sharks for the rest of the year than it is to cancel a game each week.  Maybe back in the days of the Bears this wasn't as much of a problem (don't know when the last tv rights deal was done).

Get rid of them, they should die like the Bears - new team in Qld IMO

This was News Ltd's vision.  To kill off Sydney teams. 

For the NRL (NewsLtd Rugby League) to save the Sharks when the South of Sydney is already overserviced or to add a brand new team on the Central Coast are counter to that claimed vision. Nothing wrong with letting them die mid-year if need be.

The NRL need to let natural selection run its course. They are already doing enough by offering big dollars to any club willing to relocate, they can't seriously consider dipping into their pockets and bailing out a failing organisation for just the good will of it.

The failure of the sharks would decrease the population of clubs in sydney, which in most people's opinion is a good thing.

Always hated the Sharks and would probably celebrate them dying. I think really if or when they go I think that is the correct number of Sydney teams. Maybe the roosters could get the boot as well as they pretty much have no juniors.

The Wheel link said:
Get rid of them, they should die like the Bears - new team in Qld IMO

Agreed. There is a push for a new team up here in QLD from a consortium to get a team for central QLD covering an area between Bundaberg and Mackay and based out of Rockhampton.
Refer: http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=32977

The NRL are not going to squander 8 million bucks setting up a team on the CC.  The max best crowd number there is 10 thousand per game.  Not enough.  The Bears can forget that scenario.  Better a fourth team in Qld where the supporters are and they can finance it themselves.  For the Sharks to survive, in name only, their best bet is Adelaide.  Rethinking that, they won't survive at all.

The problem is the sharks will probably survive up until the broadcasting rights come up again because the NRL in its previous deal had agreed to provide X amount of games per year, now if the sharks fail well then they cant fulfill this obligation, this means i wouldn't be surprised if the NRL help out in some way.

I agree with most others that they should die and then the nrl should expand the games into other regions other than the overpopulated Sydney region, but the fact is they can't afford to run that risk now (especially half way through a season), maybe in the future they will.

"recessions clean out all the bad business'" and the Sharks are one of them.

Will dance a merry little jig the day the Shire Scum fold. Imagine putting all your eggs in a Trent Barrett basket, WTF were they thinking. That guy couldn't get one of the strongest NRL sides of the last decade, in St George, across the line, what hope has he with a second rate pack of losers like the Shirks.

I'm all for them folding as well, but it's fair to say without delmeges help a few years ago, would we have expected the NRL to help Manly out?

Sharks are set to lose their major sponsor next year $1m.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25503353-2722,00.html

Thinking they will be gone in 18 months (realisticly 12).

Here's what could happen Central Coast gets there liscence and then in 2013 W.A.Reds and the CQ "Bulls"(don't know what there mascot is just a name I like) get in. Everbody happy (bar Sharkies supporters ;D)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6