Sensible Debate About Suburban Grounds

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Seeing a packed Shark Park on Sunday must again have convinced drongo NSW Sports Minister Stuart Ayres of his folly to try to get clubs like Cronulla and Manly to play in the CBD. Departing NSW Waratahs Chief Executive, Greg Harris, says the notion that Sydney can emulate Melbourne's stadia philosophy is wrong. Wisely he says: "If you look at Sydney you have an east-west axis which is Alliance, ANZ and Parramatta. The problem is that you also have a north-west axis, which is Manly and Cronulla.
"I see Manly similar to Geelong (geographically speaking)"
He's right. Geelong has its own home AFL ground.
Cronulla and Manly must have their own local grounds, if for no other reason than both areas are so far from where drongo Ayres wants both clubs to play.

Completely agree, Who, but it looks like the ship has sailed on any sensible debate when it comes to suburban grounds.

stupid Ayres is on a one man campaign with his idiotic stadium plan. It seriously stinks of corruption. None of the prospective tenants support it, it is just him & the scg trust, and maybe a secret bank account. Or some goat photos

I do not like the policy but I understand where they are coming from. Is there any other major sporting teams that would use a redeveloped brookie over SFS etc? I cannot think of any, there is the problem.

Seeing a packed Shark Park on Sunday must again have convinced drongo NSW Sports Minister Stuart Ayres of his folly to try to get clubs like Cronulla and Manly to play in the CBD. Departing NSW Waratahs Chief Executive, Greg Harris, says the notion that Sydney can emulate Melbourne's stadia philosophy is wrong. Wisely he says: "If you look at Sydney you have an east-west axis which is Alliance, ANZ and Parramatta. The problem is that you also have a north-west axis, which is Manly and Cronulla.
"I see Manly similar to Geelong (geographically speaking)"
He's right. Geelong has its own home AFL ground.
Cronulla and Manly must have their own local grounds, if for no other reason than both areas are so far from where drongo Ayres wants both clubs to play.
Ayres doesn't look like the sharpest tool in the shed, which means he could be a candidate for Parramatta president.

I do not like the policy but I understand where they are coming from. Is there any other major sporting teams that would use a redeveloped brookie over SFS etc? I cannot think of any, there is the problem.

That's part of the problem. Unlike the SFS and Parramatta which have multiple league, soccer and union tenants, Brookie only has Manly. No A-League team, no Super Rugby team and not even the NRC rugby team because they're now playing at Rat Park and Manly Oval.

Geographically, Manly does not fit into the stadium plan. Yet I feel we're still going to end up being forced to be a part of it all.

It's a bit of a catch22 though isn't it. RU, soccer etc won't come to Brookie because it needs upgrading, it won't get upgraded because not enough teams play out of it. However ANZ & Allianz r under utilised but the govt are prepared to throw the cash at them. The fact still remains that tenants and fans want boutique grounds 90% of the time & big stadiums only for big games

That's part of the problem. Unlike the SFS and Parramatta which have multiple league, soccer and union tenants, Brookie only has Manly. No A-League team, no Super Rugby team and not even the NRC rugby team because they're now playing at Rat Park and Manly Oval.

Geographically, Manly does not fit into the stadium plan. Yet I feel we're still going to end up being forced to be a part of it all.

At the end of the day it is not that far to come into the city from the beaches. I do it daily. Of course I would love if we got the funds to upgrade Brookie but we wont when other areas (i.e. Health, roads etc) that provide benefits to a greater number of people desperately need funds. The issue is we will not get people to travel as people from the Peninsula hate travelling and they can watch it live on TV instead.

It's a dumb policy aimed at fluffing up employment and infrastructure programs for a little while.

One feels the MWSE would be in a stronger position re: Brookvale if they had worked more cooperatively with Council over the last few years. The $10 million from the Commonwealth could have been spent on some key upgrades and they should have had a ground sponsor long before this. Ground sponsorship could meet the cost of the ground's upkeep. With that problem solved, therefore no need for the regular barrage directed the Council's way by Zorba, the Grecian Terrier.

Instead they decided to adopt the non-consultative 'take no prisoners' approach of our No.1 ticket holder and erstwhile PM. That approach blew up spectacularly in his face; and it isn't really working out for the Pennbergs.

Last edited:
I just don't get why they think building bigger better stadiums instantly means more people will go to games.
All they are adding is more empty seats to look at on TV.

I hope I'm wrong but see it inevitable that we will have to relocate, with the decision coming from the broadcasters who will just set up permanently at each of the 3 grounds and save a bucket load of money on outside broadcasts.

The owners of the franchise will be given two options , relocate ( and possibly get a cash incentive to do so) or hand back the licence.

Let's face it the affected clubs aren't exactly favourites with the NRL anyway, if the clubs were to say F U then it would be simple for them to grant one to Perth and one to CQ and everyone ( except the fans Cronulla and Manly) would be happy.

Mind you there'd be a battle on the NRL but they'd just say their hands were tied by Nein and Fix.

Hope I'm wrong .

As one of the older supporters on here I'll admit I probably don't find change that easy to deal with. I started this year with a degree of trepidation due to what I perceive is a change in culture, but if you love the club you just suck it up and get on with supporting the players.
At this point in time I'd just like to know if the owners are still fighting to keep us at Brookie or whether they've already accepted the move is a fait accompli.

Are there any other sporting teams that play at Shark Park?
I know that the Sharks own their own ground so that they are in a stronger position than us, but I believe both clubs should put together a united front. Mobilise a 'We Shall Not Be Moved' campaign that rails against any forced move to the CBD. Why, we could even let Cronulla borrow our slogan: Stronger Together!

As one of the older supporters on here I'll admit I probably don't find change that easy to deal with. I started this year with a degree of trepidation due to what I perceive is a change in culture, but if you love the club you just suck it up and get on with supporting the players.
At this point in time I'd just like to know if the owners are still fighting to keep us at Brookie or whether they've already accepted the move is a fait accompli.

Good point!!

The investment needed for Brookvale is obliviously a major factor .Who is going to invest a significant amount of money into a council owned ground unless the council sell . Then you need major return on your investment on a ground that would probably be only used for around 12 games per year

For far too long Brookvale was neglected for upgrades and grants and unfortunately its finally caught up that Brookvale is way below the standard needed

TV scheduling has killed the game for families.
School nights and concrete fully seated stadiums, make it impossible for Parents to keep the kids entertained.

Leichhardt, Remondis, Pepper, 1300Smiles and Brookie are the only stadiums left with grassed areas for the kiddies. Pirtek will be a concrete jungle soon too.

Work nights prohibit parents getting home to pick up the kids and get back to Brookie @:cool:

Broadcasters own our game now :(

I, at least have the good grace to disqualify and remove myself from any sensible debate, Stuart Ayres should do the same.

8:15 kick off for the Thursday night games says it all. Stupid time and inconsiderate for families and people who have to get up for work and school the next day.
Really shows where we're at now.

Why can't they kick off at 7:35 which is best for all. Gives chan 9 5 mins for pre game intro. Do we really need the 45 mins of gibberish from borderline retards to let us know a game is on?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8