Secret Stewart brothers meeting raises fears of Manly exodus

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Secret Stewart brothers meeting raises fears of Manly exodus

April 13, 2014 Adrian Proszenko

Speculation that Brett Stewart could be following brother Glenn out of Manly is only going to intensify after the siblings were spotted in a secret meeting with their respective managers on Thursday.

An eagle-eyed observer spotted Brett and his manager, George Mimis, deep in conversation with Glenn and his agent, Mike Newton, at the Four Olives Deli in Manly.

Brett Stewart is under contract long term but the Sea Eagles are struggling to table a meaningful offer for Glenn because of salary-cap pressures.

Some of their highest-profile players are on heavily back-ended deals for 2015 – Anthony Watmough is on the books for almost $900,000 next year – making it hard to retain the core group responsible for the success the club has enjoyed over the past decade.

Manly desperately want to keep Glenn but fear any offer they table would be an insulting one due to the lack of funds available. Even if the back-rower accepted, it's unlikely the NRL would register the contract, as they would argue it is below his market value.

The NSW forward could earn considerably more money at clubs such as Canberra or St George Illawarra but he, too, wants to stay put. It's somewhat unusual for rival agents to break bread together but the Darley Rd gathering suggests all options are being explored. Attempts to contact Newtown and Mimis were unsuccessful.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/secret-stewart-brothers-meeting-raises-fears-of-manly-exodus-20140412-zqtx7.html#ixzz2yhePVPJ9

Choc's clayton's paycut :cool:

Lets hope that the Stewarts decide soon, as it serves nobody for these ultimatums to continue in the Media :dodgy:

I would think a crowded restaurant in Manly may not be the best place for a secret meeting (no one will recognise us there).
Were they in disguise? Is the restaurant owned by four people called Olive? Who was the eagle-eyed busybody? What about the rumour Brett and the waitress (a certain Olive Oyl) were confronted later in the evening by a short, pipe smoking sailor....

Oh noes! Players meeting with their managers in a public place = shhhh secret squirrel

EYEROLL++

I have seen the Manly Players at the 4 Olives Deli before.But its so tiny, that the table of four, plus the 'source' would have them put out the 'Full House' sign :D

The backended contracts are now literally biting Manly in the arse :dodgy:
Thank goodness that 2v is an Accountant and is balancing the roster / books :angel:

You know what, I think we should let the both go, I'm sick of hearing about it.

If we don't have the cash for Glenn and Brett wants to go to then so be it.

Concentrate on keeping Hiku, Gutho, Jake etc and move on and build for the future.

The sooner we know the better, then manly can concentrate on sending the Stewarts out with a GF ring

^ understanding your frustration but 99% of what you're hearing is just media reporting specualtion and rubbish.

Remember all the foran dramas?

Also didn't read or hear one journo mea culpa about being wrong regarding foz, nor the mass exodus that was guaranteed to happen.

So forget the reports and trust that the club and players are doing the best.

Whatever shall be....shall be!

Another day, another story about contracts at Manly.
It seems we're the only club they write about when it comes to contract dramas!!!
Over it...

globaleagle said:
^ understanding your frustration but 99% of what you're hearing is just media reporting specualtion and rubbish.

Remember all the foran dramas?

Also didn't read or hear one journo mea culpa about being wrong regarding foz, nor the mass exodus that was guaranteed to happen.

So forget the reports and trust that the club and players are doing the best.

Whatever shall be....shall be!
Que Sera Sera

strone33 said:
You know what, I think we should let the both go, I'm sick of hearing about it.
Yeah, and let Watmough go too, he was mentioned in that story as well.
Also that deli must be black-banned for our players.

Is Rugby League the only sport where past performances count for current dollars? Yes the Stewarts have been brilliant, but if they were swimmers looking for a contract, given injuries and availability, they might be selling goggles to support their sport.
Meeting in public with managers is nothing less than a public threat. Do not be held to ransom Manly. Look after the up and comers - as the cash strapped Olympic sports must.

Moondog said:
I would think a crowded restaurant in Manly may not be the best place for a secret meeting (no one will recognise us there).
Were they in disguise? Is the restaurant owned by four people called Olive? Who was the eagle-eyed busybody? What about the rumour Brett and the waitress (a certain Olive Oyl) were confronted later in the evening by a short, pipe smoking sailor....

Snake and Olive Oyl?

manlyfan76 said:
Moondog said:

Snake and Olive Oyl?
Yes, I must admit I'm completely flabbergasted. What can she see in him?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2