Season start

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It would be nice if as 2011 premiers we were given the honour and privilege of a home game on a Sunday arvo against a crowd drawing opposition. But of course that wont happen will it.

mickqld said:
It would be nice if as 2011 premiers we were given the honour and privilege of a home game on a Sunday arvo against a crowd drawing opposition. But of course that wont happen will it.

that kind of planning will only occur when one of the nrl's favourite teams win the premiership

The good news is the draw is expected to be released next weekend, I might be dreaming but I am hoping for a good draw.

Wouldn't you think that some sort of respect should be shown to the reigning premiers by letting them have a 1st round home game against a crowd drawing opposition, presenting the trophy to the crowd, unfurling some sort of premeirship flag that should wave over the home ground for the season and honouring the teams achievements for being the champions. Unfortunately forward thinking and fairness play no part in the NRL's planning.

The first round of the a league sees a grand final rematch. The NRL still hasn't caught onto this idea and theyve had a 100 year head start.

Also, round 1 starts on the Thursday night so the season starts 2 weeks and 1 day early! Yay!!!

Blake said:
The first round of the a league sees a grand final rematch. The NRL still hasn't caught onto this idea and theyve had a 100 year head start.

Manly play the Warriors in Auckland round 1 next year.

Sorry, I worded that incorrectly. In my opinion it should have been the season opener at Brookie. As it stands, it'll be an away game at an inconvenient time, while the dragons and knights get to kick the season off.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/newcastle-knights-coach-wayne-bennett-set-to-face-former-club-in-opening-game-of-2012-nrl-season/story-fn2mcuj6-1226180610244

Newcastle Knights coach Wayne Bennett set to face former club in opening game of 2012 NRL season
By David Riccio The Sunday Telegraph October 30, 2011 8:16AM

Wayne Bennett has been pitched into the ultimate blockbuster to launch the 2012 NRL season, with the Newcastle Knights to host his former club St George Illawarra on a Thursday night.

It's the first time the season has kicked off on a Thursday night, and you couldn't come up with a bigger grudge match than Bennett against the Dragons on March 1.

The official NRL draw is still a work in progress and will be released next weekend.

A grand final re-match between Manly Sea Eagles and New Zealand Warriors also remains a week-one possibility.

But no game will be bigger than the Dragons and the Knights, where Test star Darius Boyd will also take on the club he left to follow Bennett to Newcastle.

"We're pretty excited, we've never done this before, starting the competition on a Thursday, and there's no doubt this is a headline match," NRL director of football operations Nathan McGuirk said.

"The match up between St George Illawarra's old mentor Wayne Bennett and the Dragons' new rookie coach Steve Price is going to be a huge talking point in the build up to the game."

The NRL will start their season a week earlier than previous years to accommodate the representative season.

And they will kick off on a Thursday to avoid a clash with the one-day international cricket on Channel Nine. There will be just the one game on the opening Friday night.

The Knights are excited about kicking off the season - and the Nathan Tinkler era - against the Dragons.

"It will be a special event. When the NRL and Channel Nine came to us two months ago with the idea, we thought it was fantastic," Knights CEO Matthew Gidley said.

"It's a massive compliment from the NRL as the Knights enter a new era for the club."

For the first time, the NRL draw will also feature a stand-alone weekend for representative matches.

No NRL matches will be played as the traditional Anzac Test will be played on a Friday night, a Toyota Cup State of Origin match on Saturday night and finally the annual City-Country Origin match in Mudgee will on the Sunday.

Good Friday will also feature a double-header - with one match to played in the afternoon and the other game in the evening.

Can't wait! Toyota Cup SOO is a great idea, really looking forward to the early start and the Thursday game and might seriously[/align] have to consider getting a passport and going over to NZ.

I think the latest round of ground 'improvements' at Brookvale might force us to play away from home for the first few weeks. Apparently the programmed work includes an extension to the JT Stand to the north over part of the Has-been Hill area. The prime contractors were advertising for subbies in the SMH a few weeks ago - so I wouldn't expect a start much before late November which could easily run over into the football season. Depends how the Club wants to play it, but with OH&S regs being what they are, they might be less likely to play home games at Brookvale, whilst construction is still underway, than they were when the southern or Arthurson stands were built.

The MWTS will def have a tour to NZ, I have most of it organsed just wating for club approval to launch.....I think we have to actually wait until the season draw is released or something like that BUT yes def NZ, Round 1

This is the perennial piss-off. The AFL have just published their draw for the entire year with dates and times. Why is it not possible for the NRL to do this, dates and times? Gallop you fool, resign now.

DSM5 said:
This is the perennial piss-off. The AFL have just published their draw for the entire year with dates and times. Why is it not possible for the NRL to do this, dates and times? Gallop you fool, resign now.

Should be announced Grand Final week

eagles2win said:
DSM5 said:

Should be announced Grand Final week

I dont want to wait till next years grand final week to hear of gallops resignation.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6