Sea Eagles’ belief can stop slump

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Manly insist they have the forwards to emerge from a late-season slump in time to shake up the NRL finals.

Beaten twice in the past three weeks by South Sydney and Penrith, premiership leaders Manly ($4.25) have dropped to the third line of betting behind Souths and Sydney Roosters (both $4) in TattsBet title markets.

Manly's bruising run-up to the finals continues when they play Penrith at Brookvale on Sunday before their visit to Townsville next Saturday in the last round.

Read More

The article facts should have been checked before going online to the News Ltd websites as the article has Penrith beating us already and Toovey hoping to have Glenn Stewart back from an ankle injury for next Saturday’s clash with the Cowboys even though he has supposedly been ruled out for the season following ankle surgery on last Thursday.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Manly insist they have the forwards to emerge from a late-season slump in time to shake up the NRL finals.

Beaten twice in the past three weeks by South Sydney and Penrith, premiership leaders Manl
Glenn+Stewart+Jamie+Lyon+Sharks+v+Sea+Eagles+_7frBcOo07dl1.jpg
y ($4.25) have dropped to the third line of betting behind Souths and Sydney Roosters (both $4) in TattsBet title markets.

Manly's bruising run-up to the finals continues when they play Penrith at Brookvale on Sunday before their visit to Townsville next Saturday in the last round.

With one international forward, Anthony Watmough, and a one-game Origin player, Matt Ballin, Manly have played the entire season under the suspicion that they do not have the pack to go one step further than their 2013 runner-up finish.

"I worry about Manly's forward pack. You put Manly's halves behind Souths' pack and there's your winner," former Test skipper Darren Lockyer said.

"I think Souths' pack is the best in the competition, but it's a question of how their halves make the most of the opportunities."

Manly captain Jamie Lyon said the club's forwards were not underestimated by their teammates.

"We know the work they do for us and we appreciate the quality of the work they do," Lyon said.

"It's where most of the games are won and hopefully we can improve and match the big guns."

What Manly do have in the forwards is a remarkable continuity.

The starting front-row of Brenton Lawrence, Matt Ballin and Josh Starling have started in all 22 games this year, as has lock Jamie Buhrer.

Forward Jesse Sene-Lefao has been on the interchange bench 21 times.

"The continuity we have definitely helps. It builds that confidence and continuity that we know what the other bloke is doing and where he'll be," Lawrence said.

"Matt Ballin does not ever stop and that goes a long way to helping the success of the side."

Manly have managed as well as any team the equalisation measures of the salary cap to be the only team to have made the finals every year since their 2004 failure when they finished 13th.

Starling was recruited from Souths for 2014 and Lawrence is in his second season with the Sea Eagles after joining from Gold Coast.

"I put Manly's record down to the culture being infectious _ blokes can come into the team and pick up the same mentality everyone else has and keep it going," Lawrence said.

"Winning the premiership is all it's about. We came very close last year and it's why you put in the hard work every day. The desire to do that is never far from everyone's mind."

The salary cap has intervened to strip Glenn Stewart from the Sea Eagles for next season, when he will play for Souths.

Manly's unwillingness to give the international back-rower an offer to have a 13th season has triggered the player unrest raising the spectre of Brett Stewart, Steve Matai and Watmough wanting to also change clubs.

Manly coach Geoff Toovey said he hopes to have Glenn Stewart back from an ankle injury for next Saturday's clash with the Cowboys.

"A lot of us self drive and you want to play your best every week and win every game you can," Lyon said.

"A majority of the players are still here and have that drive to go one better. Hopefully we can get Glenn Stewart back and stay at full strength."
Paul Malone
The Courier-Mail

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-insist-they-have-the-forwards-to-turn-around-their-lateseason-slump-in-time-for-finals/story-fni3gnk1-1227041710359

The time for talk is over, it's time to deliver!! Manly have been ordinary over the last month and that's to be expected with so many away games in this period.

Tomorrow is a chance to make a statement against a good team and really put in a performance that reminds our rivals that we are a genuine threat.

We must minimise our errors with the ball, this is the main reason why we are struggling to score points and its put so much pressure on our defence.

Time to stand up!

robbiea said:
When did Penrith beat us in the last 3 weeks , Journalism at it's best..

It is just more proof rugby league is rigged from the inside. The journos get the brief on who will win or lose early (same time as the refs) so they can write their articles and look like they know what they are talking about

robbiea said:
When did Penrith beat us in the last 3 weeks , Journalism at it's best..

Yeah, I noticed that when I was submitting the article and mentioned it as well as the Gift availability bit in my follow up comment.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2