Sea Eagles rookie of the year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
This could be tough to predict. Might this be a season when no player makes their NRL debut? That would be unusual, but there aren't many in the top squad who are yet to make their NRL debut, and there are not many spots open in our 17 as we approach kick-off.

I predict there will be one young player who will establish themselves, though it may not happen until the last few weeks of the comp.

My prediction is Chee-Kam. He is first going to have to overcome injury, and then bide his time and prove he deserves a shot over some of the more experienced newcomers. But there is a back-row spot up for grabs, and he has the ability to claim it by season's end.

If there are injuries in the backs then Hiku will take his chance. I've only seen snippets of him on TV, but he seems tough, fast and resourceful. Is he really a Dale Shearer type - or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Two to watch this year I think will be Jamil Hopoate and Mitch Manson. I think Jamil has a lot to prove and will be out to ensure he gets a decent contract this year. Could explode out of the blocks. Young Mitch Manson from the Woy Woy Roosters Premiership side 2012 in the Central Coast comp (didnt Eadie come from somewhere around there) was consistently getting man of the match awards despite being the baby at 17 of the team at full back. Should be 18 coming in this year and is apparently very slick and fast. Could easily play wing

Clinton Gutherson and Ligi Sao are two other possibilities, both have big wraps on them. Perhaps around State of Origin time we may get to have a look at some of these young players.

Wolfy & Snake might miss a few this year so I reckon Hiku will get a shot & he'll grab it with both hands.

We've had a pretty good success rate for rookies over the last few seasons so I'm hoping the trend will continue if someone gets a shot this year.

I have been away for a couple of weeks - has Jamil Hoppa come back to play for us this season?

The Wheel said:
I have been away for a couple of weeks - has Jamil Hoppa come back to play for us this season?

Yeah he has. He got the flick from the Eels for missing a few training responsibilities. I think its long odds to expect him to feature in the first grade team this year. He'll be starting the year in the 20s and considering the amount of people already in front of him in the pecking order I'd say for him to see some game time would mean either a raft of injuries or a drop in form of quite a few players. Hopefully he makes the most of his chance and we keep him for more than the 1 year deal he is currently on and makes a spot in the Sea Eagles backrow for years to come but I can't see that happening in 2013.

I'm not really sure if we'll have a standout rookie of the year, but I hope 2013 is the real coming of age of Jamie Buhrer. I still think he is still underrated by a lot of Sea Eagles supporters, mainly due to his size and they see him as a utility or off the bench, but IMO he is crying out to play extended minutes and if he is given an opportunity to take the vacated T-Rex second row spot (which really existed mid 2012) then I think you will see a huge improvement in his game. He has a high workrate and his ability to hit a hole can be utilised by what I'm hoping is an improved game style from our halves thanks to Joeys tutelage.

Bring it on, I can't wait.

I find it far fetched that Jamil Hopoate would quit the club, get fired by his next club for poor behavior only to come back and be rewarded with a first grade jersey.

Dane Chisholm.

Hoping to see him and Wolfie go head to head in 'the most tries scored in a game of footy' this year :D

Loved watching his Dad's bright, albeit brief career at Manly :angel:

Stevo said:
I find it far fetched that Jamil Hopoate would quit the club, get fired by his next club for poor behavior only to come back and be rewarded with a first grade jersey.
If his form warrants it he will be picked. He won't be punished for what's happened in the past.

Stevo said:

I suspect that Jamil got caught up in a package deal he didnt necessarily have much say in. I think John was anxious to keep the family together and when Parra offered the World and a bargain to take John and Jamil as well, it was a done deal. I suspect money, or lack of it, in the Hopoate family brought about the move. They sound like a very close family who each contribute their earnings to, given theres about 10 or so kids to feed. I suspect Jamil didnt want to leave Manly and becoming a
disqualified driver made it that much harder to get out to Parra from his home on the peninsula. I suspect a certain amount of his behaviour at Parra was because he wanted to leave and they knew it.

Masked Eagle said:
The Wheel said:

Yeah he has. He got the flick from the Eels for missing a few training responsibilities. I think its long odds to expect him to feature in the first grade team this year. He'll be starting the year in the 20s and considering the amount of people already in front of him in the pecking order I'd say for him to see some game time would mean either a raft of injuries or a drop in form of quite a few players. Hopefully he makes the most of his chance and we keep him for more than the 1 year deal he is currently on and makes a spot in the Sea Eagles backrow for years to come but I can't see that happening in 2013.

I'm not really sure if we'll have a standout rookie of the year, but I hope 2013 is the real coming of age of Jamie Buhrer. I still think he is still underrated by a lot of Sea Eagles supporters, mainly due to his size and they see him as a utility or off the bench, but IMO he is crying out to play extended minutes and if he is given an opportunity to take the vacated T-Rex second row spot (which really existed mid 2012) then I think you will see a huge improvement in his game. He has a high workrate and his ability to hit a hole can be utilised by what I'm hoping is an improved game style from our halves thanks to Joeys tutelage.

Bring it on, I can't wait.

i agree, buhrer has sooooo much potential. tooves just has to use him in the right way, just like des got the best out of trex, used him off the bench in an impact role whereas tooves used him a lot more and wasnt as effective. if tooves can use him the right way, lookout, we've got another gift and choc on our hands. i dont think he should be used as ballins backup either (although he's good at it). i think from what ive seen of lawton, he's pretty exciting and will spark things up a bit when he comes on

I think Gutherson and Hiku are definitely in line to get FG this year, especially considering the injury-proneness of Wolfman, Snake and Farrar and I think Chee-Kam is definitely in line for a bench spot. I'll go for Hiku, he has huge wraps on him.

Manly To Win! said:
I think Gutherson and Hiku are definitely in line to get FG this year, especially considering the injury-proneness of Wolfman, Snake and Farrar and I think Chee-Kam is definitely in line for a bench spot. I'll go for Hiku, he has huge wraps on him.

I agree. Hiku will see some NRL this year and star.

Trying to predict a rookie of the year is near impossible.

The club has about 15 or so potential first grade debutantes and there are so many variables (injury, SOO etc) that go into who will or won't get a shot.

Suffice to say that there are not many spots open. It's like 15 guys trying to squeeze into a phone booth.

I hope though, that they show some patience. There are players at the back end of their careers at Manly. If I was one of the young brigade, I'd spend the next year or two learning and developing my game knowing the chances will come.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6