sea eagles greatest game breakers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
This is not about a players defence, his game involvement, his leadership qualities. Its about those very few players who have the ability to through their individual actions break open a game on a regular basis, players who either score tries out of nothing or create situations that result in tries out of nothing.

There are not many around. Jarryd Haynes is one. Thurston is another. I used to love Steve Mortimer's uncanny ability to make the break. I believe Tom T will become one. But who in the past have been those five Manly players you went to a Rugby League match to see those moments of magic.

My five with Manly are;

1. Bob Fulton. Who can forget the 1973 Grand Final. And he did it regularly, leaving players grasping at air and then making full backs look foolish trying to stop him.

2. Cliff Lyons. One of the most dangerous distributing players I've seen. No one but those who knew him, could predict his next game breaking pass.

3. Johnnie Gibbs. Twinkle toes only needed five or ten minutes of magic to turn the course of a game. If injury had not shortened his career he would have been one of Manly's greatest.

4. Phil Blake. Watching this kids magic in 1982-83 was something to behold. He seemed to have the speed and the ball on a string and his kicking game was unparalleled.

5. Jamie Lyon. At his peak he seemed to have that uncanny ability to find a crack in the opposition defence and rarely made a mistake in setting up his supports. Seemed to have all the time in the world, like his namesake Cliff.

So who would you pick?

Crusher in his heyday was hard to handle, made many a break on the fringes. Could always rely on him to do something explosive when needed. He might not have been the hardest worker in the forwards but when he was in the mood and wanted to inject himself he was next to impossible to stop.

Eadie, Toovey, Stewart, Menzies, Cleal. Cant dispute their game breaking abilities. Close to being in my ten

A few worthy of a mention....

Les Boyd - I always remember when the opposition made the mistake of lighting his fuse....aggressive wrecking ball unstoppable on his day.

Ronny Gibbs - For a tough fiery backrower had pace from his centre days and made some massive plays that many underestimated.

Jack Elsegood - Had a freaky 2 seasons and could break the best defence and change a game, but disappeared off the map....loved the 7's.

Foran - His grit and competitive edge often lifted Manly in those 50/50 games due to determination as much, or more, than skill....most seem to only judge dazzling skill plays but I think those gifted in mental and physical toughness to perform consistent effort plays are true Champion qualities...before I get burned, was filthy at how it ended, but doesn't take away his input at that Golden period.

Tom Turbo - Only a year into an illustrious career this kid can turn a game on its head in a flash and will only dominate more in coming years....no pressure but will be the games best player in the next 2-3 years imo.

Some great names mentioned there, and instead of reiterating those already there, I'd add Glenn Stewart, his ball playing ability was a big part of our success. And who forgets that 2011 GF grubber in our 20? Plus his hits in defence often changed the course of a game.

Plus Skivvi. How many times did his ball buster hits in defence turn a game (and player) on it's head?

Some great names mentioned there, and instead of reiterating those already there, I'd add Glenn Stewart, his ball playing ability was a big part of our success. And who forgets that 2011 GF grubber in our 20? Plus his hits in defence often changed the course of a game.

Plus Skivvi. How many times did his ball buster hits in defence turn a game (and player) on it's head?
Stewart was the best 1 on 1 defender in the game - really made impact & rarely got brushed away - allowing him to do what we don't now...control that tempo in the ruck.

Agree on glen stewert, i left him out but now im thinking he was just as important as snake when at his peak. Great ball skills and awesome defender

1 - Bob Fulton. Bozo is arguably Manly's greatest ever player and could turn a game on its head in a matter of moments. Among the mayhem of the 1973 Royal Rumble....er.....Grand Final, two pieces of individual brilliance from Bozo gave Manly its 2nd straight premiership win.

2 - Graham Eadie. Wombat was the ultimate power fullback. With the speed of a centre and power of a front rower, in an era where the fullback was more the last line of defence than an attacking weapon, Eadie broke the mold, regularly charging onto the ball from the back or chiming into the line to create an extra man. Manly didn't win 4 premierships in the 1970's by chance. We had great teams and Eadie was vital to that.

3 - Cliff Lyons. Napper was a genius with the ball in his hands and on his day he was damn near unstoppable. Dominated the 1987 GF, mostly with his running game and played a pivotal role when he made his test debut for Australia on the 1990 Kangaroo tour. Brilliant in the 13 man game.....he just about owned the Sevens in the mid-1990's. And his partnership with Steve Menzies was a thing of beauty.

4 - Brett Stewart. Snake, unlike Wombat, used speed instead of power to full advantage. Not only was he one of the best ever support players, but his skills arguably produced as many, if not more tries than he scored himself. Speed kills and Snake more often than not killed the opposition with his speed, especially before his knee and hamstring injuries struck. After his speed started diminishing he began using his passing skills more often to great effect.

5 - Geoff Toovey. Tooves was all heart. One of the smallest ever who never backed down from anyone no matter how big they were. He was very good as a halfback, but I feel his game breaking skills came to the fore as a hooker. His speed off the mark was perfect for dummy half and he often left defenders for dead over the first 20 metres (he'd often do the same from the scrumbase when he was a halfback).

Michael oconnor was a very classy player who could pull a game out of the fire when all seemed lost also des hasler & dale shearer deserve a mention both match winners on their day.. Snoz is only a shandy of our best ever centres bozo & jamie he was that good i wld have to find a place on the wing in my greatest ever manly team .

I wonder if Jamil Hopoate and Tom Wright may reach game breaking status. Both seem to know how to break the line almost at will in lower grades. Could be interesting.

Steve matai is one of my favorite players of all time & could break a game open also not just the ultimate hit man .. I really hope he plays on because i dont think we will ever see the likes of him again .. What a warrior.. He is respected & feared by all absolutely fearless .. Legend to all true manly supporters

Steve matai is one of my favorite players of all time & could break a game open also not just the ultimate hit man .. I really hope he plays on because i dont think we will ever see the likes of him again .. What a warrior.. He is respected & feared by all absolutely fearless .. Legend to all true manly supporters

He was a tough and fearsome a runner with the ball as Noel Cleal, and only about half Cleal's size.

Might be controversial, and people may not say he was a Sea Eagle, and he was a forward, but I thought Ben Kennedy could carry us on his own back at times.

He did the same at The Knights.

Guy was a dead set beast.

Might be controversial, and people may not say he was a Sea Eagle, and he was a forward, but I thought Ben Kennedy could carry us on his own back at times.

He did the same at The Knights.

Guy was a dead set beast.

He's in my top Manly side on the bench. Oh for someone with his quality in the team. Hopefully Jake will take on that role.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4