The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can’t disagree with any of that too.

But if they are going to run him at 5/8 you’d think they’d have to start that from next year , so let’s see !!

PS: maybe Bullemor is his forward replacement??

One would hope Schuster is given more opportunities at 5/8 to show his worth and develop his skills at this level. No disrespect to Foran, who did a fine job at 5/8 this year. But realistically Schuster is the future and holding him back is risky if he really wants to play 5/8. As for Bullemor, maybe you're right, though he may also be a substitute for Sirro. Love players with pace and skill. I'm sure Des will mould him into a weapon. Being only 22 when he starts next year is a good age for developing him. Sounds like a good signing, though I've not seen much of him. Obviously Des has.

One would hope Schuster is given more opportunities at 5/8 to show his worth and develop his skills at this level. No disrespect to Foran, who did a fine job at 5/8 this year. But realistically Schuster is the future and holding him back is risky if he really wants to play 5/8. As for Bullemor, maybe you're right, though he may also be a substitute for Sirro. Love players with pace and skill. I'm sure Des will mould him into a weapon. Being only 22 when he starts next year is a good age for developing him. Sounds like a good signing, though I've not seen much of him. Obviously Des has.
I watch the QCup so have seen a bit of him, really really good player.

Yes maybe in for Sirro , if so who replaces Schuster if you move him to 5/8???

I watch the QCup so have seen a bit of him, really really good player.

Yes maybe in for Sirro , if so who replaces Schuster if you move him to 5/8???
I think Ben Turbo has outstanding potential and could more than adequately replace Sironen. Although he had few opportunities this season, what I did see of him was that he has plenty of size and tackles ala big brother Jake. Enough said then.
Also agree with Bearfax about the risks of losing our younger stars if they are not given adequate opportunities. Think Tolu Koula may also come into this category. Worry sometimes that Hasler can be eccentric with some of his selection decisions. Certainly do not accept that he is infallible in that regard.

I think Ben Turbo has outstanding potential and could more than adequately replace Sironen. Although he had few opportunities this season, what I did see of him was that he has plenty of size and tackles ala big brother Jake. Enough said then.
Also agree with Bearfax about the risks of losing our younger stars if they are not given adequate opportunities. Think Tolu Koula may also come into this category. Worry sometimes that Hasler can be eccentric with some of his selection decisions. Certainly do not accept that he is infallible in that regard.

Ben Trbojevic is yet make his mark, but what we've seen is encouraging. I wonder if he is better at centre, a kind of John McDonald type (see late 60s international centre we had at Manly), who was lanky, solid, quite evasive and fast. I suspect the forward positions will be very competitive next year and maybe centre, which we need is a better option. Would love to see him again with that combination he had with Schuster, like a Lyons-Menzies understanding. Competition for a forward positions could become quite interesting next year. If only we could get Fainu back. And yes Manly needs to give young Koula a taste of first grade in 2022. Said to be the fastest player in the game.

Disagree on that one Mark. He's better than Gifty and has already proven he can make a star five eighth. Gifty didn't even get a permanent spot in the Manly side until he was 23 and rep games started at 24. My goodness Schuster has been a star performer throughout his junior years and is already a permanent fixture in the Manly side and now in a NZ rep squad. Gifty wasn't even recognised for his worth until he was 24. This kid is only 20. He already has skills I've only seen from the best five eighths I've seen in the game. In a few years if we can hold onto him and Des doesn't waste his talent having to do heavy defence work, he'll be a dominant factor in Manly's backline, or some other backline if we aren't careful. His value has already shot up being selected in the NZ squad and I understand Auckland are sending out feelers for him.
He has the "potential" to be better than Gifty but a long way to go yet.

Disagree on that one Mark. He's better than Gifty and has already proven he can make a star five eighth. Gifty didn't even get a permanent spot in the Manly side until he was 23 and rep games started at 24. My goodness Schuster has been a star performer throughout his junior years and is already a permanent fixture in the Manly side and now in a NZ rep squad. Gifty wasn't even recognised for his worth until he was 24. This kid is only 20. He already has skills I've only seen from the best five eighths I've seen in the game. In a few years if we can hold onto him and Des doesn't waste his talent having to do heavy defence work, he'll be a dominant factor in Manly's backline, or some other backline if we aren't careful. His value has already shot up being selected in the NZ squad and I understand Auckland are sending out feelers for him.
Talent is only one aspect of what makes a great player. Glenn Stewart has the runs on the board; two premierships and Churchill Medal. He produced on the big stage. So far, Schu has done nothing close to helping Manly win a premiership. Sure, he has the flair and potential to be something special but comparisons to a premiership winning legend of the club are unfair to Gifty and do nothing other than build expectation and pressure on Schuster.

Who in their right mind could say that he is better than Gift after 1 season? He was consistently an important cog to our premiership dynasty. That 2011 season was incredible and to win the Clive Churchill after the 3 week suspension sums him up.

I think Schuster has great potential and is something special, but come on what is with people blowing up young players asses after a few good moments and saying they’re better than club legends. Disrespectful imo to those past players, same with Tom and people saying he is better than Snake. Sit down for a minute and stop comparing them all, Snake as it stands has a lot more runs on the board at club level for Manly. 4 grand finals, 2 premierships.

I hope he has a great pre-season and we can figure out positions later.

Unfortunately Josh was injured at key moments when we've needed a replacement for Foran at 5/8 in 2021, which probably didn't help his audition chances. He seemed to have issues with his form and weight as the season went on so not sure how viable the #6 role was anyway.

I'm tipping that he has a much better and more consistent season in 2022

Who in their right mind could say that he is better than Gift after 1 season? He was consistently an important cog to our premiership dynasty. That 2011 season was incredible and to win the Clive Churchill after the 3 week suspension sums him up.

I think Schuster has great potential and is something special, but come on what is with people blowing up young players asses after a few good moments and saying they’re better than club legends. Disrespectful imo to those past players, same with Tom and people saying he is better than Snake. Sit down for a minute and stop comparing them all, Snake as it stands has a lot more runs on the board at club level for Manly. 4 grand finals, 2 premierships.
Schuster does have incredible potential. He is a long way off achieving that potential. I have to say that with the way he finished this season, it will take him a few more seasons before he can be fairly compared to any of our Manly legends at five-eight or backrow. I also hope that he gets to achieve that potential with us, and doesn't choose to leave us prematurely.

Talent is only one aspect of what makes a great player. Glenn Stewart has the runs on the board; two premierships and Churchill Medal. He produced on the big stage. So far, Schu has done nothing close to helping Manly win a premiership. Sure, he has the flair and potential to be something special but comparisons to a premiership winning legend of the club are unfair to Gifty and do nothing other than build expectation and pressure on Schuster.

Gifty was one of my all time favs. We all talk about his incredible skill and football brain, but we often forget he was an incredibly tough footballer who played hurt. He was not overly big but he hit hard in defence. Let’s hope Josh can scale the same heights.

I am in my right mind and my opinion is that in terms of sheer talent, Schuster is better than Gifty. As I pointed out Gifty didn't come to prominence until he as about 24. He was a fine player, no question, but I think many here are perhaps remembering only the best of that player, something that happens with retrospective perceptions. He was a very good player but not a great one. Played 5 tests in his mid to late 20s. He was a second rower with some ball playing skills, and has been seen as almost a second 5/8. Schuster is already being looked at for test duty at 20 for NZ and in a position that does not display the full range of his skills. I doubt Gifty would ever be considered as a permanent 5/8. Yet Hasler at present is using Schuster as one of his two 80 minute forwards handling almost 30 tackles a game and then standing outside Foran as a 5/8 centre link. His efforts this year are not fully appreciated because he did a lot of work close to the action requiring more energy than all but Jake, DCE and Croker. A look at his Fantasy points shows that he was in that regard one of Manly's highest point scoring players behind Turbo, DCE, Garrett and Jake.

One of the biggest issues with perception is that we are led to look at the flashier plays and say 'Ohhh and Ahhh' and determine this is what makes a top player on the field. No question in my mind that Turbo and DCE were streets ahead of the rest for impact on the game this year. But below them its not so obvious and Schuster was definitely up there. Otherwise why would NZ be selecting him

Ben Trbojevic is yet make his mark, but what we've seen is encouraging. I wonder if he is better at centre, a kind of John McDonald type (see late 60s international centre we had at Manly), who was lanky, solid, quite evasive and fast. I suspect the forward positions will be very competitive next year and maybe centre, which we need is a better option. Would love to see him again with that combination he had with Schuster, like a Lyons-Menzies understanding. Competition for a forward positions could become quite interesting next year. If only we could get Fainu back. And yes Manly needs to give young Koula a taste of first grade in 2022. Said to be the fastest player in the game.
From what I saw Ben is too big to play centre - seems to have bulked up considerably and appears to be too immobile now to even be a fill in. Could be wrong as it was a very small sample size of time on the field.

Re Koula - I sincerely hope everyone is right re his potential as a centre in FG. From what I know he played junior schoolboys rugby on the wing and played wing in the NSW cup. Not sure if he is the saviour. Centre (and fullback backup) still appear our biggest gaps in squad makeup.

Then you have Weekes. Where does he play? He played a lot of fullback and 5/8 and opportunities look limited here.

One of the biggest issues with perception is that we are led to look at the flashier plays and say 'Ohhh and Ahhh' and determine this is what makes a top player on the field.
Isn't this what you're doing with Schuster? I mean seriously he has shown glimpses of skill and talent but Gifty was tough, skilful, had the heart of a lion and was a leader of our pack. If Schuster can unearth these tough leadership qualities then no doubt he will have a huge career BUT his skill will only get him so far. Give me a guy like Gifty that plays tough and leads by example over a guy with superior skill that doesn't have a go.
Not saying Schuster won't get there but man he has a long way to go to get my vote as better than Gifty.

Isn't this what you're doing with Schuster? I mean seriously he has shown glimpses of skill and talent but Gifty was tough, skilful, had the heart of a lion and was a leader of our pack. If Schuster can unearth these tough leadership qualities then no doubt he will have a huge career BUT his skill will only get him so far. Give me a guy like Gifty that plays tough and leads by example over a guy with superior skill that doesn't have a go.
Not saying Schuster won't get there but man he has a long way to go to get my vote as better than Gifty.
Perspective time...
Every player players better is a certain position
Gifty is a grittier forward
and Schuster is a Flashier 5/8
The aging Foz has lost his flash . I would have Schuster at 5/8 .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4