The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Shuey looks like he is caught up with the buffet and this bloody lockdown .As long as he is doing his second row duties that's all we ask of him .Let's judge his exact speed when he looses 10kgs. and starts playing 6 . Interesting to hear a few on here that wanted Ruben sacked after the first 4 rounds complaining he was slow ,etc etc .
I honestly don’t know if he’s our long term six. He almost fits better playing wider as he can isolate smaller centres that are forced to make a defensive decision on him due to his agility and size. Creates lots of space on our edges which seems to be where our attack has been focussed lately. pre 6 again our attack was way more focussed up the middle corridor.

I like him in the backrow,Foz at 6 then Cust,I think he has good pace over a short distance always hard to contain especially one on one a fend and good footwork

Foz is 31 so there is no doubt in my mind that the Shoe is our future long term 5/8. Foz will probably probably retire at the end of 2022 if he stays relatively injury free.

A few facts for the doubters of the Shoe at 5/8 and why we haven't seen the best of him.

1. He is on a par with Taupau with the average number of tackles he does per game. Only Jake and Croker do more. The remainder of the forwards do less, some markedly. He even exceeds DCE who is a terror with defence. Foran does just over half that number of tackles.. He does on average three to five times more defence than the outside backs.

2. He and Jake are the only two forwards who consistently are on the field for 80 minutes

3.Foran has 7 try assists, averages 72 metres and averages 34.3 fantasy points a game. Schuster despite being in the forwards has 6 try assists, averages 92 metres and 49.9 fantasy points a game

4. Schuster's one game this year at 5/8 was against a Parramatta side that had eight out of ten match victories, mostly scoring 28 or more points a game having defeated the Storm and Roosters. Manly flogged them thanks to DCE, Schuster and Turbo and they never recovered.

This is not intended to damn Foran. He's done a remarkable job and on a number of times I've given him one of the three points for a couple of games. Rather it is to get the issue of Schuster into perspective. The kid is 20 playing his first season, who has mainly played 5/8 during his junior years. Now he's in the second row with a much greater workload responsibility. Not only is he expected to do a lot of the defensive and grunt work but also be part of the attacking, usually outside Foran. His work load can only seriously be considered bettered by Jake, Croker and DCE. Certainly Turbo does a lot of the spectacular stuff and runs huge metres and like DCE sets up most of the plays, but he averages only 5 tackles a match, so he's not worn down by the grunt work.

So what I'm saying is to suggest Schuster isn't fit enough, is not supported at all by what he achieves on the field. He may not be as fit as he can be personally, but compared to many others on the field, he has one of the heaviest work loads

Rant over..

i think he's tried to put on a bit of weight for the forwards? but damn he looks a little overweight and slow to me, his involvement is also down.
A few facts for the doubters of the Shoe at 5/8 and why we haven't seen the best of him.

1. He is on a par with Taupau with the average number of tackles he does per game. Only Jake and Croker do more. The remainder of the forwards do less, some markedly. He even exceeds DCE who is a terror with defence. Foran does just over half that number of tackles.. He does on average three to five times more defence than the outside backs.

2. He and Jake are the only two forwards who consistently are on the field for 80 minutes

3.Foran has 7 try assists, averages 72 metres and averages 34.3 fantasy points a game. Schuster despite being in the forwards has 6 try assists, averages 92 metres and 49.9 fantasy points a game

4. Schuster's one game this year at 5/8 was against a Parramatta side that had eight out of ten match victories, mostly scoring 28 or more points a game having defeated the Storm and Roosters. Manly flogged them thanks to DCE, Schuster and Turbo and they never recovered.

This is not intended to damn Foran. He's done a remarkable job and on a number of times I've given him one of the three points for a couple of games. Rather it is to get the issue of Schuster into perspective. The kid is 20 playing his first season, who has mainly played 5/8 during his junior years. Now he's in the second row with a much greater workload responsibility. Not only is he expected to do a lot of the defensive and grunt work but also be part of the attacking, usually outside Foran. His work load can only seriously be considered bettered by Jake, Croker and DCE. Certainly Turbo does a lot of the spectacular stuff and runs huge metres and like DCE sets up most of the plays, but he averages only 5 tackles a match, so he's not worn down by the grunt work.

So what I'm saying is to suggest Schuster isn't fit enough, is not supported at all by what he achieves on the field. He may not be as fit as he can be personally, but compared to many others on the field, he has one of the heaviest work loads

Rant over..
I think defence numbers,in Schuster and DCE’s case,are overrated in a sense that they don’t run around the paddock making tackles.More so that the opposition target those two to try and negate their attacking prowess.It’s not a criticism of them as both have been very effective in defence but to compare them to others like Taupau,who defends in the middle,is really an unfair comparison.It’s the Aaron Woods argument.A few years ago,Woods had a high tackle count week in week out but that had to do with opposition players preferring to be tackled by his pillow like defence than someone who’s going to put holes in you

I think defence numbers,in Schuster and DCE’s case,are overrated in a sense that they don’t run around the paddock making tackles.More so that the opposition target those two to try and negate their attacking prowess.It’s not a criticism of them as both have been very effective in defence but to compare them to others like Taupau,who defends in the middle,is really an unfair comparison.It’s the Aaron Woods argument.A few years ago,Woods had a high tackle count week in week out but that had to do with opposition players preferring to be tackled by his pillow like defence than someone who’s going to put holes in you

Perhaps Nordburg, but I do see the two of them often rushing about to tackle, not just being targeted. But in part you may have something. Wear out your most dangerous players. Why though is Foran's tackle rate averaging only around 15. Is he purposefully kept out of the way to ensure he is able to do his magic. Could be.

What a hullabaloo.
Kid is in his first year and there is nobody who would not have him in the run on 13.
The.Game.Has.Changed
The game will probably change half way through next season also.
He excelled at six.
He is killing it in the second row.

The rest is just tomorrows fish n chip wrappers

Rant over..

I haven't seen anyone here suggesting that he be dropped out of the top 13, yet alone top 17... but that doesn't mean he is above some criticism or commentary about aspects of his game. Otherwise we would not have much of a football forum

I haven't seen anyone here suggesting that he be dropped out of the top 13, yet alone top 17... but that doesn't mean he is above some criticism or commentary about aspects of his game. Otherwise we would not have much of a football forum
All I was trying to indicate is that often criticism is made without appreciating that much of the problems he is perceived as having, are probably little to do with his weight or seeming to be a falling off in performance and should always be seen in the context of what is expected of him in the role he has been asked to play. Of course he isn't going to be as flashy and fast as he is at 5/8, not primarily because of his weight, but because there is just so much energy available to him while he is performing a forwards role. Criticism is fine, but you cant dismiss those issues that bring about your perception of his performance

Fair enough too...but it doesn't look like it's beef. He's just a kid so maybe his diet is not beef-building friendly. He's doing just fine anyways.
Still very early days , it takes several years for a young bloke to become accustomed to the workings of his adult body.
He was chiseled at the start of the year though !
I too think he is absolutely killing it and will only get better.

Appearances can be deceptive. Both Napper and Alan Thompson, two of our very best 5/8s of the past, didnt look that fit and both smoked heavily apparently. But their natural skill shone through no matter what they looked like

Rant over..
I'm fairly certain he has put on a little extra weight over the course of this season. The extra beef has likely been endorsed by Des and Donnie because he is playing in the forwards. No doubt, that would change if he moved to the halves long term. The kid is a gun.

Agree with the need for more grunt against stronger opposition...

In saying that, I think Schuster can bring the grunt if he commits to it himself. He appears to be lacking in fitness and willingness to get dirty...His ball playing helped us execute the second Garrick try so he is still contributing but the stuff in between the highlight reel plays needs to improve.

We need only look as far as David Fafita for comparison. Where David relies on the barnstorming runs, Schu relies on the no-look pass or miracle offload. Both need to do the 1% stuff better.
yeah, he is still a bit of a puppy. If he can get a bit more aggressive in his approach i reckon he could be one of the best. If he was testing the defence more with his runs his sneaky passes become more potent

All I was trying to indicate is that often criticism is made without appreciating that much of the problems he is perceived as having, are probably little to do with his weight or seeming to be a falling off in performance and should always be seen in the context of what is expected of him in the role he has been asked to play. Of course he isn't going to be as flashy and fast as he is at 5/8, not primarily because of his weight, but because there is just so much energy available to him while he is performing a forwards role. Criticism is fine, but you cant dismiss those issues that bring about your perception of his performance

Yes ... and there is a huge .. nay .. HUGE ... difference between an observation and a criticism.

The hissy fitters need to chill ... nobody has yet listed him on EBay ..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7