The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Keep questioning the golden child ... and you will become as popular as me ... but to take the pressure off you a bit ... I will add that last year I started a thread saying the no look pass was a numbnut play and he should get it out of his game ... but it looks like it is his subconcious go to play ... it won't end well ..

But, the kid has shown he will be a very very good player for years to come ...
Haha agreed. I rate him and I hope is a Manly player for life but it doesn't mean he should be free of criticism. His errors have been costly and he deserves to be called out on it. I said earlier, Im sure people on here don't actually read posts. At no point did I say I didn't rate him, at no point did I say he should be dropped, at no stage did I say he is to blame for our losses BUT somehow people see all of this just cos I gave a bit of criticism to one of our young guns.
I maintain if it was Walker, Foran or Parker doing those stupid tap ons people would be calling for their heads!

Been a massive disappointment. I know he is young and playing out of position but he has played backrower before. He has been responsible for at least 5 or 6 mistakes in the past 2 games trying his no look passes and tap ons. Doesn't really get in and do the tough runs either. After seeing him carve up in the trial I had high hopes for him. Unfortunately he is probably stuck in the backrow for a while now. Needs to learn to just keep it simple cos the mistakes are killing us. I know he is not the only one but he is certainly a contributor. If you just watched the last nights game and didn't know who he was you'd be saying he is pooh! Everyone is calling for Parker, Garrick etc to be dropped buy guys like Schuster are getting a free ride!
he needs to be moved to 5/8 or even Centre - playing such a talent in the backrow is criminal but a case of have to at the moment until we get Haumole/Sironen back.

I think a group hug is in order followed up with singing Kumbaya. Who's with me? #sobs
grouphug2.gif

#
smemotions18.gif

Schuster may seem a disappointment to some, but then when he played second row in the juniors he was just a talented forward. His skill is ball play. In the forwards he is doing grunt work and lots of defence. Little wonder as a new kid on the block he doesn't have much left over for his razzle dazzler play. Des in my mind had it wrong about Schuster, Foran, and Walker. They are positionally in the wrong place. He also needs to drop the pedestrian Suli-Parker centre combination. I'd even go as far as giving Koula a crack at full back. Unlike many who've been selected there, he actually does have a lot of experience in that position in the juniors and remember Eadie was 18 when he came to first grade.

But Schuster doesn't get the ball in places where he can use his skill. He's being totally wasted as a second rower. This kid is a 5/8., a ball player, one who sets the play. That's what we admired watching him in the juniors. He's being totally stifled at second row.. Sorry but in my mind Foran should be sharing the hooking honours with Cust until hopefully Fainu returns and Schuster should be 5/8

Harsh to lump too much blame on Schuster but those saying he has been a shining light too are jumping the gun. His tendency to go for the low percentage plays are an issue. They don't get punished in the juniors the way they do in 1st grade where possession and building pressure are paramount to being successful and scoring points. The mistakes he is generating does put too much pressure on our defence which is mediocre at best.

I watched a lot of him coming through and I'm not convinced he is a half at NRL level. He needed the ball in his hands as much as possible in the juniors but not now. He has skill and the big body in the age groups meant he could dominate although that size dominance doesnt translate to the NRL and Im not sure the skill he has is enough for an NRL half. I agree with those on here suggested a move to 13 as the speed of the game now favours the ball playing 13 like a Radley or Murray.

Not expecting a super star but I expect him to listen to the coach and control the ball. This is the reason Des won't put him to 5/8. Its not harsh, he has been good defensively but has had way too many mistakes!!! I'm excited about his development and glad he is getting game time but if he wants to claim the 5/8 jersey then he needs to pull his head in and stop throwing the ball away uts that simple!
I understand what you are saying; however, do you think he’d be doing the same thing under Bellamy or Robinson? I really don’t think so, I believe this is also a coaching issue, a communication issue.

Both parties have responsibilities in something like this - one is a kid brand new to first grade and the other is an experienced head coach - I think Des needs to change his approach and communication with the players. Although, our issues are more than just this - his selections and tactics are also problematic.

Harsh to lump too much blame on Schuster but those saying he has been a shining light too are jumping the gun. His tendency to go for the low percentage plays are an issue. They don't get punished in the juniors the way they do in 1st grade where possession and building pressure are paramount to being successful and scoring points. The mistakes he is generating does put too much pressure on our defence which is mediocre at best.

I watched a lot of him coming through and I'm not convinced he is a half at NRL level. He needed the ball in his hands as much as possible in the juniors but not now. He has skill and the big body in the age groups meant he could dominate although that size dominance doesnt translate to the NRL and Im not sure the skill he has is enough for an NRL half. I agree with those on here suggested a move to 13 as the speed of the game now favours the ball playing 13 like a Radley or Murray.
Your line “big body in the age groups” is the perfect summary of what’s gone wrong with the recruitment and a certain “Immortals”family’s direction they sent the club in.Schuster maybe an exceptional player of the future but the Warriors dominated the Under 20’s comp over its history and look how successful that turned out for the FG team

I agree with much of this except your concern over his skills. He is exceptionally skilled; however, making the most of his skills requires maturity, experience against NRL players, intelligence, and even fitness.

To me Schuster looks underdone and carrying a little too much pudding. Strip 5kgs of puppy fat off him and replace it with some upper body strength, get his fitness and speed up (which he is more than capable of) and give him time.

Imagine being Garrick and topping our metres gained 2 out of 4 weeks but everyone calls for you to be dropped. Just saying. People pick and choose who to criticise. If it was Foran or Chez or Croker making the mistakes Schuster has made then everyone would be calling for his head.

I like Garrick but he made 2 bad errors last night which led directly to 2 tries, he had a horrible game

Haha agreed. I rate him and I hope is a Manly player for life but it doesn't mean he should be free of criticism. His errors have been costly and he deserves to be called out on it. I said earlier, Im sure people on here don't actually read posts. At no point did I say I didn't rate him, at no point did I say he should be dropped, at no stage did I say he is to blame for our losses BUT somehow people see all of this just cos I gave a bit of criticism to one of our young guns.
I maintain if it was Walker, Foran or Parker doing those stupid tap ons people would be calling for their heads!
Schuster does take some "easy" ineffective pretty options at times that he has drilled into himself over the years in a playing environment where he had more time and space.

I rate Schuster but not as highly as most here(stated last year also) and that seems to be the general problem with the squad makeup---we have a lot of good players that are just over-rated and over valued.

Schuster does take some "easy" ineffective pretty options at times that he has drilled into himself over the years in a playing environment where he had more time and space.

I rate Schuster but not as highly as most here(stated last year also) and that seems to be the general problem with the squad makeup---we have a lot of good players that are just over-rated and over valued.
Its getting to that point. People on here are accepting mediocrity because they show a glimpse of talent.

Its getting to that point. People on here are accepting mediocrity because they show a glimpse of talent.
That is one of the main differentiators between the bottom 8 and top 8, you get into a rut of over valuing players if you don't really understand what makes an effective great player so you try and hold on to every "good" player with glimpses of talent. You have to be more ruthless and back your instinctive judgment on players otherwise you get caught up in the "fear of losing" a player too often---you see the talent pool as shallow and not see value for money purchases in young and old talent.

The other issue is getting locked into the "Stats don't lie" mentality, stats can be padded, can be misleading due to a variety of reasons, you have to look at the stats with more depth, more appreciation as to why this number exists and understanding.

Again never said he should be dropped. Do people actually read posts or just like to get straight on the defensive? I'll call it as I see it, some won't like it but they are just blind to the truth.
Blind to your truth?

Maybe I am.
Not sure why you are misquoting me saying he should be dropped now?
Did I say something that is not the truth on the post you quoted?

Blind to your truth?

Maybe I am.
Not sure why you are misquoting me saying he should be dropped now?
Did I say something that is not the truth on the post you quoted?
I'm just stating the fact that Schuster should not be free if criticism. The "truth" is he has had a number of glaring mistakes and people don't seem to care cos he's "the next big thing" If people are gonna keep calling out other players for mistakes then it should be the same for all players.
Tell me that this isn't the truth?
I would argue a guy playing his 4th game and out of position like you said should hold even more importance on not throwing the ball away and doing all the little things right! Trying tap ons and throwing the ball over the sideline is hardly a great play for a rookie.
But don't get me wrong, I rate him extremely highly but doesn't mean he is free from judgement!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4