The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Good ball players are always only as good as their supports who can read them and make use of their skills
The difference yesterday... was that all of his passes hit the mark (not too high or in front or behind the support player), had good weighting on them (not thrown way too hard), and weren't thrown on tackle 1 when we were struggling for ascendancy. He has been excellent this year but at times been guilty of all of the above this season, so it's disingenous to suggest that it was always his support runners' fault to date...

Nonetheless the assist for Lawton and the draw and pass for Tom en route to Garrick for his try was absolutely top shelf. If he's not careful he will be in the Origin team, and we'll need him in our squad with Tom, Jake and DCE out.

The difference yesterday... was that all of his passes hit the mark (not too high or in front or behind the support player), had good weighting on them (not thrown way too hard), and weren't thrown on tackle 1 when we were struggling for ascendancy. He has been excellent this year but at times been guilty of all of the above this season, so it's disingenous to suggest that it was always his support runners' fault to date...

Nonetheless the assist for Lawton and the draw and pass for Tom en route to Garrick for his try was absolutely top shelf. If he's not careful he will be in the Origin team, and we'll need him in our squad with Tom, Jake and DCE out.

Not what I said Scorpio. I said good ball players are only as good as their supports. That wasn't specific to Schuster. That was a general statement.

However I am not suggesting Schuster doesnt make mistakes. Its going to happen with his style, as it does with most ball players. I am saying that good ball players need good supports otherwise their efforts come to nought, but that doesnt mean they dont make mistakes.

I saw Turbo make a couple of misdirected passes recently (no one commented about them), but that's just part of the deal. The other players still need to be there to be ready for them.

Cliff Lyons had this issue when players werent ready for his plays. Didnt mean he didnt make mistakes, just meant that its important with such players that supports are ready because they'll get it right far more often than getting it wrong and the outcome is often a try.

ps. I read the comment by comment as a game progresses here. Most players are given a serve, several more than one. Jake copped a lot this time yet Dally M gave his 2 points.. I see some against what Schuster does, but they are far fewer than well over half the players in the side cop from time to time. Mistakes are part of the game and that will never change.

Last edited:

i notice schus accelerate to the defensive line, bringing in the defenders , than swoosh, he does the no look pass. This effect certainly opens up space. very intelligent play.

It was news to me that it was the late/ great Bob Fulton that spotted Shuster as a 14 yr old and got him to Manly, with the belief he will one day be one of our best 5/8s

I think we probably underestimate the Fulton clan and their effect on Manly to this day. Much of the recruitment, as well as Cleal's involvement , is probably Bozo's two sons' and daughter's influence. Much of the recruitment over recent years seems to be attributed to that family

I think we probably underestimate the Fulton clan and their effect on Manly to this day. Much of the recruitment, as well as Cleal's involvement , is probably Bozo's two sons' and daughter's influence. Much of the recruitment over recent years seems to be attributed to that family
Couldn't agree more. And I feel very strongly that they need to stay involved to keep Manly being Manly. Arko won't live forever - though we all wish he could - Tooves seems to be absolutely nowhere with the club, and I'm not certain of Dessie's commitment to the Manly club, as opposed to his commitment to his team. He never mentions the club, even in all his tributes to Bozo.
So it's down to the Fultons. That is until DCE and Schuster are elder statesmen.

Couldn't agree more. And I feel very strongly that they need to stay involved to keep Manly being Manly. Arko won't live forever - though we all wish he could - Tooves seems to be absolutely nowhere with the club, and I'm not certain of Dessie's commitment to the Manly club, as opposed to his commitment to his team. He never mentions the club, even in all his tributes to Bozo.
So it's down to the Fultons. That is until DCE and Schuster are elder statesmen.
I see those mentioned and raise you the Turbo family.

Hmmm not many halves perform when their forwards get owned.
And not many halves are paid ~$1.2M a season either

It's too late now but its something the club should factor in if they are thinking of extending him as part of negotiating for a salary reduction for '22 and '23

Saddler was knocked out as soon as he came on, we had two players on the bench that barely got any minutes. We have so many forwards out injured, it all took its toll on us today.

Our field position was non existent and Cherry had a lot of pressure on his kicks as he was effectively the only kicking option until very late in the game when Crocker shifted to six.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4